OTA-R31 CS help

7 Replies, 4502 Views

Hey Guys.

So I have started to explore CS options for my R31. Problem is that its just not feeling the way it should. Too much whip and not enough grip. Im using Eagle Racing short dampers, which are about 3-4MM shorter than standard 55mm Dampers. The shafts are shorter, no clue if the bodies are shorter.
Here is the set:

[Image: R31-26-LBL.jpg]

Red springs are soft, blue are hard. Average rates, nothing too extreme.

It needs more grip. Even with Super Hard springs up front it still whips too much.

My current Setup is 30 weight oil in the rear with medium soft springs and 50 weight oil up front with hard springs.

Running 1-2 degree of negative camber.

So. Im looking for a decent setup for 1.4~1.5 CS. Purely suspension setup.

I want Grip. I want to be able to pitch and rotate the car how I want it.

Im thinking some MST super soft rear with 25-30 weight oil and hard springs up front with 50 oil.

An suggestions?
When In doubt, Throttle Out!!!
OTA-R31 w/ Flux Capacitor
I think you are going about it wrong. If you want to pitch and rotate car the way you want, then increasing grip is one of the last things you'll need to tune for.
First you'll want to upgrade to better dampers, or at least rebuild the eagle shocks with trf internals ( this will likely get you better traction). This is should make the car handle more consistently and easier to drive. And change to the same oil weight front-to-rear for now. Your dampers may in fact be too short for your handling preference so try longer ball ends.

Adding more grip often will have the opposite effect than desired. Increasing grip Will usually cause shallow drift angles and tire bite when not desired.
I'd say start by dressing the dampers and making sure your right height front to rear and droop(left to right) are equal. Then adjust grip with shock damper mount positioning and camber. My experiences with drifting rc cars has taught me that any chassis can be driven well so long as the tune and functioning parts of the chassis are up to par.

... and if you still insist on increasing grip, then go for the soft stuff. Soft tires are the main way to increase grip, but beware that this may not fix the handling issue. Soft tires usually amplify the problem.
cheers and hope this helps.
Team Ghost Drift
[Image: TGD+official+WHITE+side+decal+Osaka-Sans...+edit1.png]
MST FS-01D cs@2.0
Yokomo DRB cs@1.8
Eagle  R31 RWD
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014, 02:07 PM by rudeboy03.)
How Will TRF internals get me better traction?

I have set everything to be equal except for shock settings.

Front:
7 Degree caster
-1 degree camber
Hard springs
50 weight oil
3mm ride height
shocks stood up as much as possible

Rear:
0 degree caster
-1 degree of camber
soft springs
30 weight oil
2mm ride height
shocks layed down as much as possible.

3mm offset all round and Raikou D70's all around.

I know everything should be equal. The Eagle Dampers are perfectly fine. In fact the shorter shafts decrease chassis roll and allow it to hold nice drift angles without the chassis roll making the rear swing out.

I know how to work a drift car, i'm just looking for a suspension setup.
When In doubt, Throttle Out!!!
OTA-R31 w/ Flux Capacitor
What's your toe settings?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using DriftMission.com, powered by appyet.com
www.facebook.com/raincityrajikon  - Seattle's scale drift club
RWD yoko dori pake -=- RWD SJ ota-r31 -=- 50:50 SJ ota-r31 (club loaner car)
+ 2wd Slash, 4x4 Slash, e-Maxx, Subaru Brat scaler, mRS4, broken quads and a bunch of spares
I think he meant that the eagle internals aren't all that great. Trf will make your eagle dampers perform better. Everyone I know with a eagle chassis did the same or just upgraded to better dampers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what scale parts are those?
(09-17-2014, 08:51 PM)Super0dp Wrote: How Will TRF internals get me better traction?

I have set everything to be equal except for shock settings.

I know everything should be equal. The Eagle Dampers are perfectly fine. In fact the shorter shafts decrease chassis roll and allow it to hold nice drift angles without the chassis roll making the rear swing out.

I know how to work a drift car, i'm just looking for a suspension setup.

Never said you didn't know how to work a drift car, but you asked for setup help and I gave my suggestions. It's my opinion that the eagle damper setup needs to be addressed for them to work properly. TRF internals are just way better quality as they have a very strict quality control policy. Don't believe me, just compare the damper o-rings. Also the bladders are better too.

as for your idea about chassis roll and damper shaft length,  there are a lot of other things you can adjust to slow chassis rotation at the rear, but usually adjusting suspension mounting position will adjust chassis roll.
BTW the  info I shared IS actually a suspension related setup. Cheers.  
Team Ghost Drift
[Image: TGD+official+WHITE+side+decal+Osaka-Sans...+edit1.png]
MST FS-01D cs@2.0
Yokomo DRB cs@1.8
Eagle  R31 RWD
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2015, 01:54 PM by rudeboy03.)
(09-17-2014, 12:41 PM)Super0dp Wrote: Hey Guys.

So I have started to explore CS options for my R31. Problem is that its just not feeling the way it should. Too much whip and not enough grip. Im using Eagle Racing short dampers, which are about 3-4MM shorter than standard 55mm Dampers. The shafts are shorter, no clue if the bodies are shorter.
Here is the set:

[Image: R31-26-LBL.jpg]

Red springs are soft, blue are hard. Average rates, nothing too extreme.

It needs more grip. Even with Super Hard springs up front it still whips too much.

My current Setup is 30 weight oil in the rear with medium soft springs and 50 weight oil up front with hard springs.

Running 1-2 degree of negative camber.  

So. Im looking for a decent setup for 1.4~1.5 CS. Purely suspension setup.

I want Grip. I want to be able to pitch and rotate the car how I want it.

Im thinking some MST super soft rear with 25-30 weight oil and hard springs up front with 50 oil.

An suggestions?

Try more camber in the front, less in the back.
Soft springs all around.

I think the camber will help the most. I put some sick camber in the front of my MST MS-01D and the corner control was instantaneously better... I suppose because the camber has to be drastically more in an RC than a real car because the weight is so much less. I have to back it out a little bit because I lost quite a bit of control going forward. If you put the rear camber at 0-0.5, you should have more traction to propel it forward.

I'm fighting with the same issue friend so give this a try and let me know what you think. We can work together on combatting this issue.
SLIDE SIDEWAYS
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter: St_V3ngeance