Weight balancing on a Sprint 2 50/50

9 Replies, 5034 Views

I'm a bit confused. Some people say to have more weight on the front and some on the back. Is it something that depends on someone's style? And why have a motor on front?

Plus soft vs hard suspension on front/back? Soft on front and hard on back makes more sense to me..

Thanks in advance!
- What is driving to you?
- A dream.

Ryosuke Takahashi (Initial D)
Soft front. Softer rear. Not sure what the weights are for other than slowing you down?
Photographer at Afro's RC follow us on Facebook, Instagram
HPI Sprint 2 2.7CS (in Progress)
HPI Sprint 2 4.5CS
Wrap-Up FR-D
(12-23-2013, 07:54 AM)Gaelen Wrote: Soft front. Softer rear. Not sure what the weights are for other than slowing you down?

Well basically the rear would slip easier.. Newton's 1st law of motion, anyway the back already slips a lot (I'm new and can't control it very good yet!)
- A dream.

Your driving style will determine what works for you. Motor position will determine how much weight transfers on a given throttle application. spring softness and dampening determine how fast that weight transfers.

When I drive I like going off throttle to get my one way to kick in and don't use my brake very often, I found I love front motor cars more than rear motor.
Don't be a douche and help the next guy.
Nice! Thanks for the tips! Very inspiring!
- A dream.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2013, 10:50 AM by Sledgehammer.)
I'm not into RC cars until like 2 months ago.

But I bought a very old Schumacher SST from the 90's modified for drift.

It has a very powerful brushless 6000KV 450 motor.

The car is all carbon and aluminum and with weights in the front and is well balanced + heavy. It's so easy that the car barely drifts by it self. But since it's all locked (front and rear), it's hard to make it drift on very tiny corners.

ps: But the car drifts for more than 20 meters away with the weights and powerful motor.
Keep Cool
(12-23-2013, 07:43 AM)Sledgehammer Wrote: I'm a bit confused. Some people say to have more weight on the front and some on the back. Is it something that depends on someone's style? And why have a motor on front?

Plus soft vs hard suspension on front/back? Soft on front and hard on back makes more sense to me..

Thanks in advance!

It's going to handle almost exactly like a real car. Harder front springs with softer rear springs is going to lead to more understeer (Not necessarily good for drift) a soft front but a hard rear leads to understeer (this is good for drift). The more weight to the front makes the rear end kick around more but more weight in the back makes the care easy to control during slides... It's all based on your personal preference though because when driving, every driver has their own style and attributes that the car has to match. Hope this helps!
SLIDE SIDEWAYS
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter: St_V3ngeance
I got 4 identical senstive scales to balance my hsp flying fish. After a couple of tries i found the perfect setup for me. Try to balance all 4 tires weight and start from there. Also with a given weight distribution try to adjust the shocks to tune the car. What worked best for me was 100 gm on each front tire more than back tires. Stiff suspension back and relatively soft front.

Sent from my K1 using Tapatalk

But the sprint 2 is much lighter than my car so 100 grams might be more than what u need.

Sent from my K1 using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2014, 04:11 PM by Amr Marwan.)
I was planning to move my battery slightly forward simply for better front weight when entering a drift ... I know nothing, on day 5 at this. I'm still doing circles hahaha
I recently done a front motor swap in my sprint 2... It made a crazy difference to the way it drifts...... It now holds a drift much better and far easier to control needing less throttle Input.

[Image: 2bcc64bfcad8aca92c4c7f43ec0442fa.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk