Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Acronyms
Damper is the shock
Keep Drifting Fun
[Image: 9121590828_f56a93fe31_o.jpg]
(01-23-2013, 04:52 AM)robb41488 Wrote:  Damper is the shock

Thanks Robb sorry for all the noob questions. When I get into something I want to make sure I know what every part does.
we all had to start somewhere and it's hard to understand what people are talking about sometimes if you don't know the  abbreviations. Just ask if your unsure the people here are only too willing to help you out.
Shock and damper are both short for shockdamper.

Kick-up; Kick-up is when the front suspensionmount is mounted higher than the rear suspensionmount on the front suspensionarms. This causes the front suspensionarms to be tilted back. Or as the PetitRC guide for Offroad buggies calls it:Kick-up is the angle between the ground and the lower inner hinge pins on which the suspension arms swing. Altering kick-up will affect the car much like caster does. In addition, adding kick-up will make your bump higher and further.

[Image: Susp-kickup-DSC_7529.jpg]

You can also call it pro-dive, as the front of the car can dive in more easily. Its easier for the suspension to compress on bumps, and it gives more front grip under braking. The opposite is anti-dive, arms will be tilted forward in that case. You can also do the same with the rear suspension of the car, but then its called pro-squat and anti-squat.

A good tip for everyone starting out with chassis setups is to read the HUDY setup guide. Its an old guide, and its meant for touringcars, but most of the principles stay the same for drift cars. It can really help you understand the setup of your car better. You can download it here:  http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/prodd...b4472e78d0
[Image: twssig.png]
wreckitsideways.com
ZILLAlife*Hiro Seiko*Tonisport*SkyRC*RC OMG
^really good info
Keep Drifting Fun
[Image: 9121590828_f56a93fe31_o.jpg]
has any one mentioned Cross Spiders? the joint inside the CVD that allows the CVD to turn while it's rotating
thats a new 1 don't think it has been explained pickled can't see it in the thread anywhere.
if ya can slide it you can drift it!!
thought you guys would like that one and I only found out what they were called yesterday as I've been looking up Square CVD components with skr8pn  because  he has hybridised a set of MST wheel axles with D3 44mm universal dog bones I used a set of Square 48mm universal dog bones and the cross spiders fit the MST wheel axles perfectly
(01-25-2013, 06:58 PM)pickled Wrote:  thought you guys would like that one and I only found out what they were called yesterday as I've been looking up Square CVD components with skr8pn  because  he has hybridised a set of MST wheel axles with D3 44mm universal dog bones I used a set of Square 48mm universal dog bones and the cross spiders fit the MST wheel axles perfectly

Cross spiders.... man we've had some fun explaining stuff on the mods..
I know but at least it's helped us find out the correct terminology.