Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Akumu - Sakura D4 short chassis conversion
(12-28-2015, 09:16 PM)Gonzo1308 Wrote:  This is awesome work. I just ordered a Sakura D4. Also got all the option parts with it. So ill have all the stock parts to make another D4. Would love to make myself a short chassis like this. How did you go about cutting another chassis? If it isn't too much you think you can put up a DIY of how you did it briefly.

Thanks

Thanks!

let me see if i can make one before the year ends. i'll just post it up here on this same thread.
Looks good so far, cant wait to see this completed!
[Image: dmsig02.jpg]
Gonzo1308

here is simple guide on how i created the short chassis...

[Image: d4s-guide.jpg]

1. i used the wheel base (marked red) centers to measure the length i needed.
on my chassis i needed a 236mm wheel base to fit the Tamiya Porsche 911 GT2 Taisan body and the S2000. smaller bodies like the HPI CupRacer is 210mm (short) to around 225mm (standard) wheel base.
2. i printed a short wheel base template guide which shows only the wheel base length.
3. the aluminum plate was covered in masking tape and using the template i aligned the chassis FRP plate center holes and marked all the holes i needed to drill.
4. a drill was used to make the M3 holes (i would recommend a drill press). I first tapped the areas where i needed to drill the hole and then  used a smaller drill bit (2mm or 2.5mm) as a started and then used an M3 (3mm bit).
5. to make the M3 holes countersunk, i used a drill and a pointed grinding wheel. (an M3 countersunk bit is highly recommended but i did not have one)
6. the chassis was cut using a metal saw and dremel. the dremel was used to cut the curve areas and also to deburr and clean up the edges.

hth!
(01-01-2016, 04:18 AM)Thanks So much for this. it def helps. i just finished building my main build. Just waiting on a few of my other parts and electronics. I may use all the stock parts i have to make a smaller chassis to play with. Thanks again! Wrote:  Gonzo1308

here is simple guide on how i created the short chassis...

[Image: d4s-guide.jpg]

1. i used the wheel base (marked red) centers to measure the length i needed.
on my chassis i needed a 236mm wheel base to fit the Tamiya Porsche 911 GT2 Taisan body and the S2000. smaller bodies like the HPI CupRacer is 210mm (short) to around 225mm (standard) wheel base.
2. i printed a short wheel base template guide which shows only the wheel base length.
3. the aluminum plate was covered in masking tape and using the template i aligned the chassis FRP plate center holes and marked all the holes i needed to drill.
4. a drill was used to make the M3 holes (i would recommend a drill press). I first tapped the areas where i needed to drill the hole and then  used a smaller drill bit (2mm or 2.5mm) as a started and then used an M3 (3mm bit).
5. to make the M3 holes countersunk, i used a drill and a pointed grinding wheel. (an M3 countersunk bit is highly recommended but i did not have one)
6. the chassis was cut using a metal saw and dremel. the dremel was used to cut the curve areas and also to deburr and clean up the edges.

hth!
I really hate the D4's stock top arms, i would not invest in the 3Racing alloy arms as it will surely have the same slop issues as the stockplastic parts because of the ball connectors. basing from the DIY top mounts and yokomo top arms (SD-008UC) i used on my standard D4... i cut some aluminum and mounted the custom brackets by drilling a hole through the top shock mounts, i then used long hex screws and some spacers to adjust caster. so far the setup looks like it will work... I need to finish the top battery mounts and purchase electronics for it.

[Image: akumu-short-d4-103-2016-01.png]
i've decided to order carbon fiber plates for this conversion. the aluminum for some reason feels heavy, i've been comparing the D4 and the TC-FD and the D4 is really heavy.

Also upgraded the steering to the 3Racing Sakura Slide Track... need to test it but that can wait.

Anyways, i am about to order the CF plates but have concentrated efforts in finishing the body for this first... still WiP

[Image: akumu-porsche-911-gt2.png]
This is a sick build! I just started drawing up the D4 chassis on CAD, but I'll be doing the opposite and extending the wheelbase for a 6-wheeler build. Seeing how you made your measurements will be helpful in my drawing. Can't wait to see this running.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Akumu - Sakura D4 RWD build vlozity 42 16,615 04-30-2017, 02:03 AM
Last Post: vlozity
  TT01 M chassis conversion iw84no1 1 976 10-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Tiger.T
  Addiction RC Sakura D3 Panther Conversion Kit!!!! Samer 1 1,522 10-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Last Post: RickyME