Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boorito's HPI Sprint 2
(03-03-2014, 06:52 PM)The RCNetwork Wrote:  Cool, thanks for the info. I have the GPM steering bell cranks coming too and have noticed all the slop in the left (although I lost about half the slop after installing RPM ball cups). Couldn't you just drill another hole into the Carbon upper deck using the stock as a guide? I'll be posting pics up if my progress with this kit soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naaah, the Exotek upper deck doesn't have enough extra material on it to go out that far. Could probably add something to hold it fairly easily, but I am trying to avoid chopping up or putting tons of extra holes into the carbon and graphite parts.
Though I have seen the HPI graphite upper deck for cheap and would be willing to shave down where it runs against the belt in order to have that extra top hole for the steering, but I was looking for it last night and could not find it again so who knows if I will try that lol.

I am beginning to think I should order the GPM steering bell cranks as the stock gets worse every time it hits something. And I had been thinking about the RPM cups, but didn't think they would make much difference lol, I will definitely try them out in the up coming weeks though. The slop is getting worse on both sides and is sort of effecting how it turns, mainly in one direction though, but I have a spare plastic set up just in case this one breaks.

I drive kinda hard, so I am sure it won't be long before I have destroyed last of the plastic parts lol
I did the Sakura steering swap on my sprint 2, that gave me some great angle.

Sent from my P4301 using Tapatalk
Sprint 2, CS2.0, Sakura steering/hubs/knuckles
TC-D, CS2.0
R31-RWD
You'll need two sets of RPM 4/40 ball cups to do all the ball cups. I also shaved down the knuckles and the wheel hub arms to gain more steering once I added the HPI universals up front.

Using Tapatalk
(03-03-2014, 07:55 PM)g4mb17 Wrote:  I did the Sakura steering swap on my sprint 2, that gave me some great angle.

Sent from my P4301 using Tapatalk

I have been looking at the sakura parts thinking I could make those work pretty easily, and you saying it makes me want to try it even more. Do you have a build thread? I would love to see your setup. I have been figuring I could order the plastic parts, then if it works with out much modding to the Sakura parts I could order the metal parts later.

@ RCNetwork - I have been looking at my knuckles wanting to grind them down very badly, but I do not know where my rotary tool is lol, I am in no rush to do that mod though because I need the new drive shafts and I am trying to avoid buying to many more mods for a little while haha xD.

Though I almost have enough spare parts to built a really beater second sprint, I will probably chop that plastic up with what tools I have to play around with different set ups
I just ordered up a few Sakura pulleys and a few belts that I thought would work. It's going to be experimental, but shouldn't be too hard. The mod for the steering is easy, especially with plastic, but the universals are def needed as you will get chatter with the stock bones.

Using Tapatalk
Right now my chatter/ pop out problem for the dog bones is a bit of rubber cut out of an old tire lol, It works decent, but affects how the rebound in the shocks is for some reason lol. So I will need the universals just to fix that issue haha xD

I am very interested in your pulley experiment, I am getting comfortable with the car so seeing you do it first would be nice LOL. I subscribed to your YT to stay updated
(03-04-2014, 02:37 AM)Boorito Wrote:  
(03-03-2014, 07:55 PM)g4mb17 Wrote:  I did the Sakura steering swap on my sprint 2, that gave me some great angle.

I have been looking at the sakura parts thinking I could make those work pretty easily, and you saying it makes me want to try it even more. Do you have a build thread? I would love to see your setup. I have been figuring I could order the plastic parts, then if it works with out much modding to the Sakura parts I could order the metal parts later.

http://madhouserc.blogspot.ca/2014/01/sprint-2.html

although it calls for
4x M5x10x4 bearings
I found it easier to use
2x M5x10x4 bearings
2x M5x10x3 bearings
using the 3mm on the inside of the knuckles - but maybe that is just me.

R
I would like to hear more about that Sakura steering swap. :-)
Enroute JXRWD 

Mad Machine IG / Mad Machine FB
(03-05-2014, 01:42 PM)foku5 Wrote:  I would like to hear more about that Sakura steering swap. :-)

As would I. I'm looking to get a better servo soon and wanted a little more angle from my steering while I'm messing with that aspect of the car.
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
(03-05-2014, 01:42 PM)g4mb17 Wrote:  
(03-04-2014, 02:37 AM)Boorito Wrote:  

http://madhouserc.blogspot.ca/2014/01/sprint-2.html

although it calls for
4x M5x10x4 bearings
I found it easier to use
2x M5x10x4 bearings
2x M5x10x3 bearings
using the 3mm on the inside of the knuckles - but maybe that is just me.

R

That looks great to me, I can not wait to see it after an alignment! I can see going this route with my car in the future.