Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boorito's HPI Sprint 2
(03-05-2014, 05:16 PM)Boorito Wrote:  
(03-05-2014, 01:42 PM)g4mb17 Wrote:  
(03-04-2014, 02:37 AM)Boorito Wrote:  
(03-03-2014, 07:55 PM)g4mb17 Wrote:  I did the Sakura steering swap on my sprint 2, that gave me some great angle.

I have been looking at the sakura parts thinking I could make those work pretty easily, and you saying it makes me want to try it even more. Do you have a build thread? I would love to see your setup. I have been figuring I could order the plastic parts, then if it works with out much modding to the Sakura parts I could order the metal parts later.

http://madhouserc.blogspot.ca/2014/01/sprint-2.html

although it calls for
4x M5x10x4 bearings
I found it easier to use
2x M5x10x4 bearings
2x M5x10x3 bearings
using the 3mm on the inside of the knuckles - but maybe that is just me.

R

That looks great to me, I can not wait to see it after an alignment! I can see going this route with my car in the future.

Here is my Sprint 2, Sakura front end, CS2.0
[Image: LZ5hLdW.jpg]
needs lots of tuning, and I'm not sure about the ESC - but really liking the front end.

R
Woah, that's looking great! -MANY thanks for the link and part list. I'm going to dive in to this!
Enroute JXRWD 

Mad Machine IG / Mad Machine FB
(03-06-2014, 01:13 AM)foku5 Wrote:  Woah, that's looking great! -MANY thanks for the link and part list. I'm going to dive in to this!

I agree with this 100%, I can not wait to get this done now.
Here's the original car with alignment done, slightly reduced steering angle.
[Image: 004_zpsdaec63cd.jpg]

The car handles amazingly well. One of the biggest downfalls to the Sprint 2 is the slop and play in the steering. The Sakura conversion basically eliminates it all.
I've had a go with the chassis after it was tuned, and I'd say it can hang with the best of them. I was able to drive any line I wanted with confidence. Really changed my perspective on the Sprint 2. The dampers were also changed to MST Aluminum dampers.

All credit for this conversion goes to Afro's RC Club, the big boss Afro made it happen.
AFRO'S RC CLUB x KERIZMA CLUB x MADHOUSE

Yokomo Type-C - RWD
Wrap-Up Next FR-D - RWD
Quote:The car handles amazingly well. One of the biggest downfalls to the Sprint 2 is the slop and play in the steering. The Sakura conversion basically eliminates it all.
I've had a go with the chassis after it was tuned, and I'd say it can hang with the best of them. I was able to drive any line I wanted with confidence. Really changed my perspective on the Sprint 2. The dampers were also changed to MST Aluminum dampers.

All credit for this conversion goes to Afro's RC Club, the big boss Afro made it happen.

Is that full lock? On mine I shaved the front towers a smidge so the ball end could touch the tower, which /looks/ like it gives a tiny bit more angle.
Sprint 2, CS2.0, Sakura steering/hubs/knuckles
TC-D, CS2.0
R31-RWD
That looks like quite a nice gain over stock, and over the GPM knuckles. Mainly if the slop is eliminated then that makes it 100% worth it in my opinion. Thank you very much G4amb17 for the first link and you Genki for first putting it on the net! I keep hearing a lot about Afro, I am beginning to think he is the Sprint 2 guru! lol

So has anyone tried the rear hubs for the toe change? I like the idea of little to no toe, though I think toe in probably helps more than no toe, but the Sakura rear knuckle also has everything for those nice little disc brakes I have been wanting on my chassis. So if I do the front I will be so tempted to do the rear mainly for the brakes, but the toe helps sell me on giving that a shot too.

(03-06-2014, 06:41 PM)g4mb17 Wrote:  The car handles amazingly well. One of the biggest downfalls to the Sprint 2 is the slop and play in the steering. The Sakura conversion basically eliminates it all.

Is that full lock? On mine I shaved the front towers a smidge so the ball end could touch the tower, which /looks/ like it gives a tiny bit more angle.
[/quote]

The angle on yours looks quite a bit more lol

Lol I am stuck looking at the two pictures to figure out how the angle difference is so much, it only looks really like a lot more on the left side. I would love to see both the cars in person, but I guess I will have to wait till I order the parts and to the alignment on my car to see how it all lines up lol
reeeeeeally considering this conversion now. the pink however cannot happen on my car, so I'm looking at AsiaTees because they have those parts in different colors (blue), but I wonder if the AsiaTees parts will be as precise and effective at gettin rid of the stock Sprint 2 slop.
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
That's his stock lock for now. Yes, if you do a little shaving you gain more angle, and what you described is exactly what the sprint 2's owner was considering doing to gain some more lock. However, this amount of lock is more than sufficient for CS driving @ 2.03 cs. I was able to keep opposite lock all the way around the track without ever losing the rear end when I drove his car. It's set up very nicely now. Unbelievably easy to drive.

Remember, the stock plastic parts will rid the slop as well, you don't have to go with the pink aluminum. I really have my doubts about the quality of the GPM products and AsiaTees products.
You can either de-anodize the pink if you go with aluminum, leaving you with silver polished parts, or just use the stock plastic parts. I'd say these two routes would be the best way to go.

Afro is definitely the Sprint 2 Guru lol. He's done some ridiculous shit with them. I would have never guessed they could perform as well as they do until I met him. For what it's worth, I started out with a Sprint 2, and ditched it for a "better" chassis because I didn't think it was worth sinking money into. Now they have them running as well as any cars that run at the club.
AFRO'S RC CLUB x KERIZMA CLUB x MADHOUSE

Yokomo Type-C - RWD
Wrap-Up Next FR-D - RWD
(03-06-2014, 06:48 PM)Boorito Wrote:  So has anyone tried the rear hubs for the toe change? I like the idea of little to no toe, though I think toe in probably helps more than no toe, but the Sakura rear knuckle also has everything for those nice little disc brakes I have been wanting on my chassis. So if I do the front I will be so tempted to do the rear mainly for the brakes, but the toe helps sell me on giving that a shot too.

Got the rears and brakes in the post (somewhere between here and Hong Kong(rcmart). Not sure if they will fit, but will post back with my results when they arrive.
Although my setup has enough oversteer as it is...

R
Sprint 2, CS2.0, Sakura steering/hubs/knuckles
TC-D, CS2.0
R31-RWD
@ Genki - I was thinking of plastic, but I would much prefer the metal, I can remove the pink lol.

and @ G4mb17 - I can not wait to see how it turns out! I hope it all works smooth!! The brakes are for some reason the biggest reason I wanted another chassis, but now I can't see replacing it till I go RWD. This chassis is really getting good with all this info starting to spread!