Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boorito's HPI Sprint 2
(03-06-2014, 11:02 PM)Boorito Wrote:  @ Genki - I was thinking of plastic, but I would much prefer the metal, I can remove the pink lol.

Color-wise I'm just switching the stock HPI alu parts from orange to the ones in purple. Cheap way to get a liiiiittle bit better color match. Not that it means anything at all though. Mine is doomed anyways with bright blue Yeah Racing shocks. :-D
Enroute JXRWD 

Mad Machine IG / Mad Machine FB
Found the knuckles and c-hubs in plastic but not the steering system. Is that only offered in the pink aluminum?
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
I think Asiatees offers a good amount of GPM metal upgrades in different colors for the D3 if you want to try those parts out. I have been thinking about it, but I really want the brakes to work if I try this and I don't think the GPM has mounts for those parts.
(03-09-2014, 11:11 AM)Boorito Wrote:  I think Asiatees offers a good amount of GPM metal upgrades in different colors for the D3 if you want to try those parts out. I have been thinking about it, but I really want the brakes to work if I try this and I don't think the GPM has mounts for those parts.

I've decide to stick with the plastic c-hubs and knuckles myself, both for price and looks reasons.
Also, I don't think you'll be able to drift with disc brakes on still using the Sprint 2 arms. You already have to cut/shave them to avoid rubbing with the stock Sprint 2 steering lock, if you're adding any (which the Sakura steering does) the fronts will rub and catch horribly. You'll have to shave so much off the front arms that it just won't work.
the rears will be fine, but I can tell you it took quite a bit just to get the brakes to fit without rubbing while drifting with the stock Sprint 2 steering lock and arms, that adding steering angle it won't work.
I have a sprint 2 with stock arms with added steering angle and managed to get the Brembo brake kit on which tested my patience. Will get some pictures when home tomorrow

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
(03-09-2014, 04:11 PM)Wardy1982 Wrote:  I have a sprint 2 with stock arms with added steering angle and managed to get the Brembo brake kit on which tested my patience. Will get some pictures when home tomorrow

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

please do, I'd like to see how. I had to grind half the head off the outermost pin in the front arms to get the Tamiya brakes to clear when at full lock, Vaterra brakes still won't clear the front of tje front arms at full turn. If I grind anymore off the head of the pin, the only way to get it out would be to drill the head completely out, or switch the arm altogether.
my guess is the Brembo kit you have sits out further giving it more clearance.
I have been figuring the brakes would be an issue with almost any brand, but I am willing to give it a shot, even if I have to take them off to run the car and only have them on for pictures haha xD. I am running the GPM lower arms, so I am interested to see how they will fit with those, thought they do not look like much less material than the stock plastic.
(03-12-2014, 01:16 AM)Boorito Wrote:  I have been figuring the brakes would be an issue with almost any brand, but I am willing to give it a shot, even if I have to take them off to run the car and only have them on for pictures haha xD. I am running the GPM lower arms, so I am interested to see how they will fit with those, thought they do not look like much less material than the stock plastic.

if they formed the GPM aluminum parts directly from the stick S2 arms (identical width/length) you'll be lucky to get 3/4 lock with discs on, unless the kit you use sits out quite far on the wheel stud. As Ive said, the Vaterra sit really close and the Tamiya's just squeak by, I mean, they're like >1mm away from rubbing.
give it a shot and show us what you get though!
in a few more weeks I will probably be ordering some stuff, hopefully lol. The last few weeks have been expensive for me and I have not been able to put money aside for hobbies lol.

I will dig out the stock arm and compare it to the GPM, I will take a picture and post it when I do.
If I'm using the HPI front one way diff, will the SAK-D331 ultra wide angle universal driveshafts still work when I do the Sakura steering conversion?