Can't Make Up My Mind on First Build

8 Replies, 2130 Views

For my first drifter, I would like a RWD.  After numerous hours of researching, I find it promising to choose between the Sakura R4 or MST FXX-D.  

What are the advantages and disadvantages to both choices? 
How easy will it be to get spare parts?

I sold all my tools and equipment for my previous r/cs below, so I'll be starting from scratch. 

My Previous R/C Experience:

-Early 2000s, My uncle and I built my first nitro r/c.  HPI RS4 II.
-Couple years ago, I had a 2WD Traxxas Slash.

Thank you!
(01-17-2016, 06:41 AM)SICKwidIT Wrote: For my first drifter, I would like a RWD.  After numerous hours of researching, I find it promising to choose between the Sakura R4 or MST FXX-D.  

I sold all my tools and equipment for my previous r/cs below, so I'll be starting from scratch. 

Thank you!

Both can be good choice for RWD. The only reason I wouldn't buy the MST is its price. But if its no problem for you then choose MST. Tons of spare parts for both chassis so it won't be a problem. 
Btw Usukani makes spare parts for both with lower prizes. (their website is under construcion but you can purchase their items from other sellers)

However I have Sakura D3 RWD "almost" in stock state but I wouldn't buy any more expensive chassis. I know MST looks really awesome but I think it won't give you as much as the price shows. You can drift with a Sakura as good as with a MST.

So buy MST Fxx-D if you can afford its later uprading or Sakura D4 if you don't want to spend tons of money for this hobby.

sry for bad english
I own both the AWD and RWD Sakura D4s and was curious with the MST FXX-D S, too. The price difference isn't much but with the MST's slightly higher price tag, you'd think it would come with more aluminum parts than the D4 does, but they don't. The front engine setup is cool but it's a little cumbersome if you want to switch motors. The front bumper has to come off, front shock tower, and everything in the way of the motor mount. If you don't mind those three "cons" (price, plastics, and slightly tedious build) go for the MST. The downside with the D4 are: needs certain parts upgraded right away and need to buy a gyro separately (MST comes with one in the kit). Check videos of builds to get a better idea. In terms of which can drift best, they both will rock once you've spent time tuning.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
--Sean

HPI Sprint 2 Sport | 3Racing Sakura Zero S, Sakura D4 RWD & AWD | Turnigy SCT 2WD | BSR BZ-222
I'm also in the same boat, I've drifted with both for a couple minutes at the local track. The MST seemed much easier to use. I drift in real life so the FR set up was very comparable to a real application. That being said I will probably go with the D4 because of the price and out of-the-box adjust-ability it has.
I just got my D4 up and running. I am having a blast with it. I did most of the suggested upgrades before running it, but I hear it is possible to run it strait out of the box. I have heard great things about the MST.
[img][Image: Big-sig.jpg][/img]
(01-17-2016, 10:09 AM)gabi94 Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 06:41 AM)Well my son and I decided on the D4 , we had D3\s before and I got a say after 2 drift sessions , we have have already improved a lot especially my son but it is completely different... cs teaches nothing for RWD but the challenge is awsome SICKwidIT Wrote: For my first drifter, I would like a RWD.  After numerous hours of researching, I find it promising to choose between the Sakura R4 or MST FXX-D.  

Thank you!

Both can be good choice for RWD. The only reason I wouldn't buy the MST is its price. But if its no problem for you then choose MST. Tons of spare parts for both chassis so it won't be a problem. 
Btw Usukani makes spare parts for both with lower prizes. (their website is under construcion but you can purchase their items from other sellers)

However I have Sakura D3 RWD "almost" in stock state but I wouldn't buy any more expensive chassis. I know MST looks really awesome but I think it won't give you as much as the price shows. You can drift with a Sakura as good as with a MST.

So buy MST Fxx-D if you can afford its later uprading or Sakura D4 if you don't want to spend tons of money for this hobby.

sry for bad english
Mst FXX-D S is excellent chassis and usukani make the aluminum parts less expensive so i recomend the mst and i owe one, it´s a incredible.
I appreciate all the feedback, but i went with a Yokomo DP Type C! It was fun to build. Enjoyed every frustrating part of it. Especially using my Google Translate app for the Japanese Text.

Sent from my iPhone
Founder of SOCAL-RC.com.
Knowing that you're getting into RWD, I would advise to invest into a Sakura D4 and get a set of upgraded dampers like the yeah racing ones for example.
The reason behind this advice is that the FXX is not a friendly chassis to tune as the Sakura D4 and can become very frustrating for first timer in RWD. Right off the get go you have to buy hop ups to make it adjustable, compared to the D4 which is already ready to go from the box.
The reason why I advise to get better dampers is because plastic body dampers often end up leaking after a few weeks, the yeah racing are a good alternative to fix this issue without putting a huge dent in your budget.
The second reason to go for the D4 instead of the FXX is weight placement. Front motor might look more realistic to the eye but it forces you (in most cases) to add weight to the rear to improve traction, thus resulting in a heavier chassis that will be less responsive and almost feel sluggish.
The D4 on the other hand, is a rear mid motor so most of the weight is at a sweet spot from the get go to generate traction without adding any weight, thus allowing to keep a light and agile chassis.
Last argument is the cost of upgrades, MST is just way too expensive IMO. You can build better for cheaper with 3Racing.
>> For 3D printed Weight Shift products and more checkout www.oversliders.net <<
If I was helpful to you, make sure to hit the "Rate" button and leave me a positive review, Thank you.