d4 starting car

6 Replies, 1516 Views

hi guys, been doing LOTS of reading as looking to get into drift rc, seen a few cars that have taken my fancy now just trying to narrow down and buying one.

found the d4 was just wondering if it is ideal for a first time car, im looking at something that isnt too hard to get to grips with, has plenty of room for improvement and part support. I dont want to spend stupid amounts of money as its a first project.

Think ive narrowed it down to the tamiya TT-02D type s drift spec and the D4

Thanks in advance
(This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 05:21 PM by eks.)
Yes! the D4 is worth it. I would suggest going RWD. It requires tuning. There are tons and tons of videos on how to tune the d4. Out the box, the steering needs some work. Other than that, its a nice entry level drifter, that can compete with the big boys for sure. I started out RWD, will never go AWD. Parts support for the D4 is unreal, new parts are coming out every month, it seems like.
(This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 05:35 PM by feint motion.)
D4 is for sure very pleasant kit to build for it price! Also there are plenty of upgrades out there. Community seems to like it, that's a good sign Smile
Instead of ordering Tamiya with it's half-assed electronics.. save the money right away and order proper ones.. (even hobbykings Turnigy stuff is totally OK!)

These are just my few cents Wink
(This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 05:55 PM by chemic.)
Thanks for the feedback guys. Can you elaborate a little bit more on the electrics for the tamiya?

Thanks again
https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/models/electri...ft-car-kit

This is what I'm looking at. Has extras on the bottom is it worth buying the motor etc separately from somewhere else or buying the combo extras?

Tamiya 47301 TT-02D Type-S Chassis Kit (Mid Spec RC Drift Car Without Body)
- Battery 3300Mah 7.2v
- Charger Etronix 2 Amp AC / 4 Amp DC Hyper Delta (Suits all)
- ESC Mtroniks Sport Tune 20 Turn Waterproof ESC
- Radio System Etronix 2.4Ghz Wheel Radio (1 Servo)

This is what comes with the tt02d the D4 will cost about £100 more with the extras
(This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 08:25 PM by eks.)
go with a Sakura D4 RWD not an AWD... it will be easier to learn and drive

the tamiya TT02D is not a good investment. you will end up selling it and buying another. the parts on the TT02D are below the drift standards of today.
Ordered the D4. Thanks for the feedback