Difference in body drag

3 Replies, 1901 Views

I came to think, have anybody thought about drag on a body while drifting?

Firstly there are those types of cars..

Sedans
Sport cars
Minivans
Wagon/stationcars
Old cars

When i think of driving CS you do rarely exceed the 60 degree mark, though some drivers rely on their model to have enough drag to control their slide and RWD is up to 90 degress, though i try to do about 50-60 for realism, though some like the ultra steering angle.

As to my experince, when driving with various body i get these results:

CS:
Evo 10: the car is steady, flicks are having a little delay and transitions steadier, long sweepers are easy to control and can catch more flaws in oversteer.

GT86: Flicks easy, fast transitions, sweepers are a little unstable in the low countersteering but becames steady, run with a spoiler to get the flicks more under control.

350Z Nismo: Flicks medium, a little less delay in transitions than the Evo, sweepers are medium between gt86 and Evo, haven't run with a spoiler other than OEM, dont think is has that much effect.

RX-7: Flicks medium, medium transitions, sweepers are steady but too much angle makes the car less able to catch the rear, runs with standard hpi spoiler, helps with side and frontal bite.

S2000 (short drivetime): Flicks easy, medium transitions, sweeper is same as the RX-7, but the 200mm body had more surface so it ran a tiny better sideways than the RX-7

RWD:
Nissan 180SX: Flicks easy, transitions are medium and sweepers are steady on most degrees but too much and the body cant catch oversteer, becomes unstable (be sure to control the throttle)

Nissan S13 (HPI 200m): Flicks easy, transitions are fast and sweepers are less stable, too much angle and the car spins out even though throttle control remains steady.
MST XXX-D VIP - CS 2.0 - Main

MST FMX-D PRO - RWD - Main

MST RMX-S 2.0 - RWD - Secondary
This is likely due to weight distribution - not aero drag.

Force(drag) = 1/2 (p) * (u^2) * C * A

Force(drag) = 1/2 (air density) * (velocity ^2) * Drag Coefficient * Area

Force(drag) = 1/2 (1.225 kg/m) * (~5 m/s) (~.5 for standard car) * (~.3m)

Force(drag) = .45 newtons = ~.1 pounds

This is some pretty rough math but you are probably looking at a difference in just a teeny tiny difference in force between the different  cars, as all that would change is the drag coefficient (ranging between .4-.6 approx).
I know that scaled down the differende is not much when you do the math..

But i know my mates got these plates on the side on their spoiler, and they can feel the difference if they don't have them on.

I felt the need for downforce last time i drove in a competetion, they had this transition going on and to get my GT86 stable, i had to floore it down the straight, achieve downforce and then i could flick it perfect, if i didnt have the speed, then i would just spin out doing the same manuovre.
MST XXX-D VIP - CS 2.0 - Main

MST FMX-D PRO - RWD - Main

MST RMX-S 2.0 - RWD - Secondary
At the scale of a winglet at our speeds you're talking a difference of maybe 0.01 lbs. Its much more likely just the weight or placebo effect