Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DIY MS-01d Steering Mod
Hey guys, just thought I'd share a quick little mod I've done to fully utilise the wide angle CVDs that come on the MS-01d Pro.

The car is completely stock aside from some DIY bits and pieces...

This is the stock angle (roughly)
[Image: 2016f80e8220ceb66500eb21e0c7f18b.jpg]

This is stock with the steering limiters removed. (Notice the large Ackerman angle.)
[Image: 477c0b16aea88f348c31b00ec642d3b9.jpg]

This is with the mod I've done. (Little to no Ackerman)
[Image: 242853404e0d56880e11816f7a270401.jpg]

With the stock setup the wheels rub on the shocks at full lock. I relocated the lower shock position by making a new hole so the wheels don't rub. It makes the suspension a lot softer but that will soon be changed!  

Left is the stock shock position, right is my modified position.
[Image: 06adf3122dc61e4c71f0848c03314181.jpg]

Closer view
[Image: a66e8123f40bf477c00b37bfcb0a1d67.jpg]

It is far too soft in the front at the moment but it is still a lot nicer to drive. It recovers from the sharpest angles and flicks around so quickly and predictably!  

Hope this can inspire others!  

Thanks,  

Joel
Sweet mod, I will definitely have to do this when I get the chance. What body mounts are those by the way, they look sweet.
Edit, have you thought of putting the top of the shock on the other side of the shock tower? It might allow you to gain some tuning ability with out hitting the inside of the tower.
MST MS-01D Pro - Speed Passion Reventon R/Speed Passion "Dokyo" 10.5T Sensored Brushless Motor/Hi-Tec HS-5496MH/Gens Ace 7.4V LiPo 5300 Mah 30C 
Axial Wraith - Holmes Hobbies BR-XL WP/Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster Pro 35T/2 Hi-Tec HS-7954SH/Gens Ace 11.1V LiPo 5000Mah 40C
(11-10-2014, 12:33 PM)lostonthetrails Wrote:  Sweet mod, I will definitely have to do this when I get the chance. What body mounts are those by the way, they look sweet.
Edit, have you thought of putting the top of the shock on the other side of the shock tower? It might allow you to gain some tuning ability with out hitting the inside of the tower.

Thanks for the compliment!

I have no clue what brand the body mounts are as I got them off eBay... I just typed rc stealth body mount. They were around $20 AUD with free shipping :)

Do you mean having the shock screwed on from the other side or having it mounted in the innermost hole?
@lostonthetrails is talking about screwing it in from the other side. Unfortunatly the way the shock geometry is set up you cannot do that without heavy modification and alot of spacers. In the end its not worth it.  
When In doubt, Throttle Out!!!
OTA-R31 w/ Flux Capacitor
Would you mind sharing what size drill you used? I'm looking at trying this tonight.
I just did it tonight and used a 7/64 bit and it was perfect. I slowly stepped up the bit until I got it dead on and it's awesome now
Be careful with higher offset wheels (+8 even) as it WILL push the steering past where it needs to stop. Not sure how to stop it yet, but I'm hoping maybe the alloy steering will help when I upgrade to it.