Do I really need brushless?

7 Replies, 3443 Views

Hey guys!

Is there any real advantage of a brushless motor other than extra power?

I've been using a 19t brushed motor and it gets the wheels spinning like no problem, but it does kind of kick at low RPMs. Would a brushless system cure that?

There's also the issue of run time. Given the same running conditions, which will give me more fun for my battery?

Thanks guys!
brushless are more efficient with power and also don't overheat as easily as brushed systems. they are also quieter for the most part and tend to last longer as long as you don't abuse it. there are other advantages as well, but that's all that is coming to mind right now. :/
Brushless motors are almost zero maintenance. Performance also degrades much slower than a brushed motor over time. Among others.

If you were racing, brushless is definitely the way to go. Despite all the advantages of running brushless, its really not necessary for RC drifting. Maybe a brushed setup may run uncomfortably hot, but it's definitely cheaper. I'm also finding alot of the high end racing motors are selling for dirt cheap nowadays as are replacement brushes, comm sticks, and all the other crap you needed.

If you're just trying to save a few bucks you may as well run brushed.
Don't be a douche and help the next guy.
You can run brushed no problem, I have never ever had an issue with a brushed motor getting to hot, its all about gearing and keeping your car and motor well maintained.

If you already have a brushed motor system and its working for you just stay with it, but if you want to upgrade definitely go brushless you certainly wont regret it.
Sensored Brushless Motors are very smooth at low rev making them way more desired for drift, brushed works just fine but if you would like to treat yourself buy a sensored brushless system and never look back heh
FS-01D
MS-01D
VDF-II
FR-D v3.0
Active FR Rwd - Forsale
Cool. I think I already thought this, but I'm glad to have some experts confirm. I'm designing my dream set up for under $650 and I was wondering if the motor was somewhere I could save money, but probably not. I imagine for CS a smooth brushless motor is especially valuable.

Thanks!
Over here brushed systems are more expensive than brushless. It is hard to find parts, and also the choice in ESC's is very limited. For my Tamiya Mini all the choice I have is either a Castle brushless ESC set to brushed settings, or a Tekin RS (Pro) brushless ESC set to brushed setting. Most brushed ESC's are not as programmable which makes it difficult to get a smooth setup and most of them also don't have lipo cutoff or even a proper BEC.

Unless you are using a stock electronics setup, brushless is definatly the way to go. It is better and cheaper in the long run.
[Image: twssig.png]
wreckitsideways.com
ZILLAlife*Hiro Seiko*Tonisport*SkyRC*RC OMG
Like they said above. Brushless biggest advantage is smoother operation and virtually no maintenance.
as far as price, you can get a good sensored brushless combo for under $100 nowaday.
Brushed setup will most likely run you around $70 for decent parts so might as well throw the $30 for the extra smoothness and convenience.