Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
eBay D3 Too Good To Be True?
Hello,

Recently I have been looking at belt driven chassis's and the Sakura D3/D4 has caught my eye. I had a look around and found this on eBay:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261346436026?_mwBanner=1

I was planning on getting a stock D3 and upgrading it but this kit is already hopped up and at a really good price.

Is this too good to be true or could it be a worthwhile purchase?

Thanks,

Toni

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Toni,

I think it might be too good to be true as nowhere in the listing does it mention 3Racing as the manufacturer, which leads me to think that it is a clone chassis. Further on in the listing it states that you get:
"1 x SAKURA D3 1/10 4WD Drift Racing Car Frame Kit
1 x Aluminum Front One Way Tube for Sakura D3"

You can get a legitimate 3Racing Sakura D4 RWD (or AWD) from TQRCRacing for $130-140 so keep that in mind. I personally try to avoid clone parts as I don't know how much QC is there, but YMMV.

-Vic
Stable
  • Yokomo DIB275 Premium (RWD Conversion)
  • Yokomo DPR (Hayato Yoshiba Spec)
  • Yokomo YD-4
  • Yokomo YD-2 PLUS
Drift Gundam Blog
Don't bother with the clones. A legit Sakura D4 is already a really affordable chassis compared to some of the "top shelf" platforms out there. The aluminum upgrades are definitely eye catching, but like DriftGundam said the QC is very questionable on the clones. Lots of people drop tons of money on aftermarket parts for their D4s, but to be honest not much is needed to get started and have fun. If you plan to get a D4, save up to get some essential upgrades and stick with the stock set up until you feel your driving skill requires more from the chassis.
dont waste you money on those clones. Specially a d3. Bad quality parts. Alloy on all parts isnt always a good thing.
Thanks a lot for the help!

I agree, the main thing that draws me towards this is the blingy carbon and aluminium but considering what you guys have said I should just go for a legitimate Sakura D3/D4.

I can buy a Sakura D3 from http://www.rcgeeks.co.uk for £95 pre-built and a D4 for £119. Which one would you suggest for someone moving from a HPI E10? I realise Sakuras can have relatively high CS ratios.

One final question; is HobbyKing a reputable and reliable online store to buy parts from? I am wondering because I found some nice electronics on there.

Thanks again!

Toni
I say go with the d4. It's newer and tons of aftermarket parts are already out and many others are being developed.

Personally I've never used electronics from Hobby King, but I have read about their products. There seems to be mixed reviews on them, but I think the general consensus is that their stuff is pretty reliable. If you go on the rctech forums, they have a thread dedicated just to Turnigy products.

If you're looking for a more affordable set of electronics, you could go the hobbywing route. I'm running hobbywing on all of rc cars and haven't had a problem yet.
(05-12-2016, 02:50 PM)Limeaway510 Wrote:  I say go with the d4. It's newer and tons of aftermarket parts are already out and many others are being developed.

Personally I've never used electronics from Hobby King, but I have read about their products. There seems to be mixed reviews on them, but I think the general consensus is that their stuff is pretty reliable. If you go on the rctech forums, they have a thread dedicated just to Turnigy products.

If you're looking for a more affordable set of electronics, you could go the hobbywing route. I'm running hobbywing on all of rc cars and haven't had a problem yet.
Yeah I have been looking into the D4 more and more and it seems to be the one for me. I read on the RCMart D4 build page that it has a 1.49 CS ratio which would be perfect - not too high, not too low.

It's funny that you mention HobbyWing, I have been looking at them too and people seem to be really impressed with their gear.

Looks like I'll be getting the D4 along with HobbyWing electronics.

Finally, are there any parts I should consider buying with the D4 or is it good stock?

Thanks,

Toni
(05-13-2016, 02:55 AM)GianTyphoon Wrote:  
(05-12-2016, 02:50 PM)Limeaway510 Wrote:  I say go with the d4. It's newer and tons of aftermarket parts are already out and many others are being developed.

Yeah I have been looking into the D4 more and more and it seems to be the one for me. I read on the RCMart D4 build page that it has a 1.49 CS ratio which would be perfect - not too high, not too low.

It's funny that you mention HobbyWing, I have been looking at them too and people seem to be really impressed with their gear.

Finally, are there any parts I should consider buying with the D4 or is it good stock?

Thanks,

Toni

As a D4 rwd owner I would sugest the aluminium streering set or the new sliderack if you decide on going rwd a gyro (not the gc301 gyro as the freekout at speed and have a ton of wobble) and a set of new lower y arms (i would sugest the usukani)
Hope this helps

Franek
(05-16-2016, 01:01 AM)Wolf-Werks Wrote:  
(05-13-2016, 02:55 AM)GianTyphoon Wrote:  

Thanks,

Toni

As a D4 rwd owner I would sugest the aluminium streering set or the new sliderack if you decide on going rwd a gyro (not the gc301 gyro as the freekout at speed and have a ton of wobble) and a set of new lower y arms (i would sugest the usukani)
Hope this helps

Franek

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll go for the aluminium steering set and lower Y arms as I plan on buying and using the 4WD version. Maybe sometime down the line I'll go RWD but since it'll be my first CS drift car I'd still like 4WD.

Toni
No experience with the awd, but with the RWD as suggested above upgrading the steering assembly is a good idea from the start. Other essentials I would say are the knuckles and extension of the front upper turnbuckles to allow for adjustment of KPI. Not sure how it is with the awd chassis', but on the stock RWD full lock steering gives you some funky camber angles. This is why you need upgraded knuckles and longer arms to correct the issue. Other than that, I think that's all you really *need* right off that bat. Again, not sure if those same issues are present in the awd.

Your options for hops ups are 3Racing, Boom Racing, and Usukani. Usukani is really expensive compared to the others, but there have been nothing but good reviews about their parts. You won't go wrong investing in their products. I got my d4 in deal with a bunch of boom racing parts, so that's why I'm running those parts, but I do intend to change over to usukani at some point. In the end, it matters how much money you're willing to invest.

Oh, one more thing. TIRES. Get yourself some better tires than the factory set. All of this means nothing without better tires lol.