Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebbi's WUN FR-D V2.0 build
After quite a few weeks of drooling at Overdose parts and FR-D/DP parts, I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy the damned thing - Banzai had just received a shipment of OD parts when i decided to buy so call it fate? divine intervention?
I've acquired the taste of full op - as evidenced by my TA06MS and Zeon MkIV, so this chassis would be no different. Many Overdose, some Active, and other bits and bobs that I could get my hands on.
To help fund this new endeavour, some chassis' had to go. I let go of one of my VBC Wildfire Touring chassis' as well as my long standing CS and RWD chassis: Gold 16FM. Sad to see her go, but I wasn't enjoying eagle racing next to the Zeon and Ta06.

anyhow, without further ado, hajimaru yo!

This is the first time i've done a full op build right from the very beginning, so I laid it all out for the Ta06 and Zeon to have a glimpse of their soon-to-be brother in blue. I don't read chassis emotion well but I suspect they were happy?
[Image: TSvW6p0.jpg]

First things first: Tools! I use a small fleet of tools to work on new stuff. I was able to score some pretty swish surgical tools from a medical conference I attended once...(if you can, get down to a medical supplies shop and buy some forceps! most useful tool ever!)
[Image: 0IlpCbo.jpg]

Started out with the stuff that came in the WUN FR-D kit. Gearbox first!
WUN Gears are actually really nice - these revised steel ones are really accurate and sharp,
[Image: 5jUMNjv.jpg]

as is the centre shaft cup - which is really really small IRL
[Image: tQjpwnz.jpg]

got a bit carried away and didn't bother to take pictures of the build of the case.
here's it competed! I ditched the black hex hardware for Titanium hexes stolen from my TC (im not a serious TC racer - it doesn't need bling >.< ). This gearbox is a lot simpler than it looks prior to completion.
Also added a washer to the screw that is used to adjust the gear mesh.
[Image: dPhrP7i.jpg]

For turnbuckle hardware, I've gone with these Streetjam Golden ball ends. The finish is epic and I liked them so much i switched the entire Ta06 over as well >.< Mated to these will be some Overdose turnbuckle ends in white with Blue Overdose turnbuckles*
*yet to arrive
[Image: UDGChS6.jpg]

New HD wipers should really come in blue.... but still, they are very nice. I even bothered to seal the carbon bits just because >.<
[Image: HfZgmAE.jpg]

Completed Gearbox mounted to chassis with wipers surrounded in carbon - lovely
[Image: ySunJI0.jpg]

This is what you get for your 34000 yen - minus the motor. Spent quite some time sealing every little bit of carbon.
[Image: HYrjh43.jpg]

I decided to use Overdose's front damper stay - I had plenty of time to oggle at it prior to the FR-D kit rocking up.
[Image: RJoRyuJ.jpg]

Finishing the front end, I turned my attention to the rear end.
For the spool, I went with RC926's Aluminium spool with hardened steel outdrive cups coupled with standard Yokomo graphite gears.
[Image: r2fQ4zE.jpg]

The spool will be housed in the most fantastic collection of OD parts I have ever held - a DP's rear gear case! This was a bit of a hassle though. The internal bearing for the input shaft is a 8x14 which is a really unusual size and one that I hadn't ordered. My LHS fixed me up, but they only had ceramic bearings and charged me a whopping $9.95 for a single bearing :| still better than not having it running whilst parts come in from overseas!
yokomo have created a truly genius gearbox though. 2 screws to access the rear diff! 6 to remove the entire gearbox housing! the Zeon takes about 16 plus removing toe blocks and suspension spacers falling everywhere and more or less disassembling the entire damned chassis before you can think about accessing the diff.
[Image: 60sHH0q.jpg]

Isn't Overdose just the best? :3
[Image: sdrRozY.jpg]

Gearbox mounted onto chassis.
[Image: J9nbl8Q.jpg]

The angle of this motor is annoying me! the other holes in the mounting block don't mesh well :| any ideas FR-D people? it's a Hobbywing Xerun 10.5t (once again pinched from my TC), but I intend to replace it with a Viper 9.5t. namely because the viper has some really funky internal fans which makes the greatest turbo scream ever - my mates 10.5t will drown out my 5.5t SP V3.0 on full turbo.
[Image: vkWlUbQ.jpg]

More to come! active suspension, parts theft, more OD :3
Subbed!
Currently working on a RWD Sakura D3 Check out my --->build thread^^

Just to let you know. The 2 screw diff pull is a yokomo dp thing. Even the plastic one is the same way :-)

Sweet build so far

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Keep Drifting Fun
[Image: 9121590828_f56a93fe31_o.jpg]
Looking great so far. My motors also got that gangsta lean when screwed in, although not as hard core as yours.
AFRO'S RC CLUB x KERIZMA CLUB x MADHOUSE

Yokomo Type-C - RWD
Wrap-Up Next FR-D - RWD
Quote:Just to let you know. The 2 screw diff pull is a yokomo dp thing. Even the plastic one is the same way :-)
yeah i know i mentioned it :P
but it's still GENIUS.

Quote:Looking great so far. My motors also got that gangsta lean when screwed in, although not as hard core as yours.
it's so annoying! >.< i just want it straight! an OCD nightmare!
[Image: pgNNjza.jpg]
Kazama GSX-R Doripake
Tamiya TA-06 MS 
Sanwa M12
Yah im an idiot. I read it as overdose created a genius gearbox. Doh!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Keep Drifting Fun
[Image: 9121590828_f56a93fe31_o.jpg]
Updates updates updates!

After I finished off the main chassis and drivetrain bits (I hadn't bought that damned 8x14 bearing at this point), I turned my attention to suspension.

KPI Knuckles: Mikuni Factory V1 KPI knuckles
I retained these from my previous 16FM RWD chassis. Will probably get some WUN GX knuckles at some point in the future.
[Image: pBwctUF.jpg]

Selected some Overdose Type-C arms.
these have turned out to be pretty poor as far as Y arms go. They are really bulky and can be somewhat obstructive to lock/steering. it also has limited adjustability for shock positions. But bling is bling, and no one does it better than OVERDOSE.
[Image: QwoyVXB.jpg]

A friend printed me a set of custom Y arms - might give them a shot later. Why buy Overdose when you can print it?
[Image: fNSFQfP.jpg]

Rear suspension wise: I got some original Active rear hubs and also ordered the adjustable active rear arms for DP, however! banzai, in classic banzai style, ran out of stock of these arms after i ordered them.... :| Fuyukai desu!
so i tried them out with Streetjam R31 rear arms as well as DIB rear arms. At the time i took this photo, i was using VBC DCJ's, OTA-Zeon MkIV hexes and Active hobby serrated wheel nuts.
[Image: l5JoPgg.jpg]

but once i put it all together, i realised the VBC DCJ dogbone ends were too fat to fit in the spool cups - hence i replaced these with Spec-R DCJ's for BD.
R31 arms proved too short to help clear the dogbone end of the DCJ's from the end of the spool cup - i switched to wider DIB rear arms
[Image: KhybrGW.jpg]

But alas, even these DIB rear arms were too short, so I ultimately stole the rear pair of Active adjustable arms from the zeon (she's looking a bit bare at this point). I used some Mikuni 2.5mm to 3mm conversion hinge pins here.
[Image: nvrnKcv.jpg]

Something I did discover is that those who dislike the 2.5mm pin system (me for example) needn't bother with it at all.
As it turns out, you can fit Tamiya-style suspension blocks to the FR-D using the inner holes for the 2-piece blocks. Here is a VBC Wildfire toe block that is tamiya-style. fits perfectly!
[Image: 10dN52P.jpg]

Shock wise, I have ordered some Yeah Racing 50mm shocks, but they haven't rocked up yet, so I pinched the Zeon's shocks.
Thinking about sticking with these, and migrating yeah racing shocks to zeon. I also bought spare Zeon (Streetjam works) pistons and slow rebound inserts. Combined the shocks with some 2 piece R2 cheap springs and Kazama spring seats.
[Image: 7vqUxsT.jpg]

With that done, and having purchased that damned bearing, I could finally put the shaft in!
RC926 cups for the rear gearbox are very nice items :3 unsure about durability though... should i get OD/Active steel cups?
Coupled with an Overdose shaft - most elaborate shaft I have every seen.....
[Image: mByruUm.jpg]
[Image: VGEWDaA.jpg]

Stealth mounts as standard - Eagle type-2 mounts. I use these on all my drift chassis', they have cups for the magnets that gives them lateral grip. very rarely do my shells come off or slide off the magnets.
[Image: XGUVSM7.jpg]

Overdose Servo saver horn thingo - something i bought for my TA06 but had ridiculous amounts of play so it got resigned to my toolbox
[Image: wSDXJIC.jpg]

And Some Waru Plazma Cables in blue for the wiring :3 got these from rcart several months ago.
[Image: KI2gOcE.jpg]

Electronics wise:
Motor: Hobbywing Xerun 10.5t --> will be Viper 9.5t
ESC: Hobbywing Xerun 90A V2.1
Servo: Align DS610
Receiver: Airtronics 3Ch FHSS-2 92524
Battery: ThunderPower 65C 5300 and Reedy Wolfpack 25C 5000mah
Gyro: KDS 820 --> tried it out on track he other day and turned out it was broken, now using Telebee gyro
[Image: v75LaED.jpg]

So here's the finished car so far:
[Image: 0BPxvNt.jpg]

Loving the FR-D so far, had a run with it the other day :3
Rcart and Banzai's final pieces have just arrived so i'll try and get everything installed and upload pics.
Moar to come - OD shock bits, OD turnbuckles, rc926 bumper plate and some other bits and bobs
Kazama GSX-R Doripake
Tamiya TA-06 MS 
Sanwa M12
this is epic, very very nice indeed.

I want one now :)
today's new haul presented with many delicious bits
[Image: 54U4QYw.jpg]

RC926 bumper plate :3 wanted the OD one, naturally, but it's out of stock everywhere - naturally.
[Image: u7qWrVP.jpg]
[Image: kJcXoKd.jpg]

New suspension blocks
[Image: d9hcCu6.jpg]
[Image: F23Lq1z.jpg]

Overdose Shock caps and preload adjusters for TRF in Yokomo Blue - makes shocks very tasty
[Image: oA8FaXC.jpg]

Fresh OD turnbuckle caps with fresh OD turnbuckles
[Image: EJ59ijZ.jpg]

Overdose bumper
[Image: nYXqjKN.jpg]

Using a bit of an old shell though - StrikerS FD3S, been missing seeing this old bird in action...
[Image: Y0l7hwC.jpg]

Telebee Gyro Installed
[Image: s5aRodi.jpg]

otherwise, all done for now!
[Image: hDkUxUM.jpg]

Only thing left now is to get some 2.5mm type-c upper mounting pins from rcart so i can use the WUN Type-C HD upper arms of which I stupidly bought the wrong set...
Kazama GSX-R Doripake
Tamiya TA-06 MS 
Sanwa M12
looks great! Grabbing parts from another chassis to make the current project work reminds me of my build hehe. I've had to switch and mix and match parts before I got them or before deciding to buy.
[Image: 4028172207455215s.jpg]
Overdose Drift Package RWD
CER D08 Premium RWD
Yokomo DRB Overdose RWD
Ce-RX type R White Wolf RWD