Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electronics for YD-2 Plus (first drift car)
Hello everyone,

I am new to RC drift and i already odered Yokomo YD-2 Plus but i haven't decided and completed my electronics list. I am a bit under budget for the remaining items.

Motor & ESC (Combo) 
  • Yeah Racing Brushless 8.5T & 120A
  • Yeah Racing Brushless 10.5T & 120A
  • Hobbywing Brushless 10.5T & 120A
Gyro
  • Yeah Racing Hackslider Drift Tuned Gyro Black For Competition Drifting #YE-0021BK
  • Yokomo Racing Performer Steering Gyro Black For RC Drift Car Kit #RPG-302
Servo
  • OMG Low Profile Brushless High Speed Full Metal Servo 7KG 0.05 Sec
Honestly I would not go for any of that stuff.

My advice to you is to go with a SkyRC Toro TS120 for ESC, a cheap mobster 10.5 brushless from yeah racing.
Then for gyro go with the Onisiki because it's the cheapest knock off the D-Like which is one of the best gyro out there.
Then for servo go with a yeah racing hackagear. They have higher torque and are low profile.
Lastly, I would strongly urge you to get the Wi-Fi module for the TS120 and then you can tune it all from your phone or tablet.
It makes for a much smoother setup than the yeah racing hackatronic which uses the old school card to program it.

ESC: http://www.rcmart.com/toro-ts120a-brushl...=1560_1021
Motor: http://www.rcmart.com/mobster-105t-brush...h=1560_946
ESC Wi-Fi module: http://www.rcmart.com/wifi-module-charge...=1560_1311
Servo: http://www.rcmart.com/profile-digital-hi...=1099_1025
Gyro: http://www.rcmart.com/aluminum-case-high...ath=36_616

This setup is about as expensive as what you were planning on buying, but better specs on gyro and servo, and more adjustability on ESC. You won't regret getting this setup. 
Plus it's all black which matches the YD-2 look and upgraded parts.
>> For 3D printed Weight Shift products and more checkout www.oversliders.net <<
If I was helpful to you, make sure to hit the "Rate" button and leave me a positive review, Thank you.
Thank you for the recommendation Tiger.T! I was about to finalize the electronics but i decided to check my post again. I forgot to include the Radio control, any suggestion?
(09-28-2017, 11:36 PM)boolitzzz Wrote:  Thank you for the recommendation Tiger.T! I was about to finalize the electronics but i decided to check my post again. I forgot to include the Radio control, any suggestion?

Yes
My best recommendation is to go with a Sanwa MT-S if you can. 
If not stick to a Futaba 4PLS  which is slightly cheaper. 

Radios are the most critical part of an RC system therefore I suggest you do not go cheap. 
Getting a cheap radio could change your experience drastically and actually make it more difficult to enjoy yourself drifting. 
My personal favorite for entry level is the MT-S because it has a setup wizard that programs the radio for you which is really nice. You can also use their ESCs and tune them with the remote later on which makes for a seamless experience.
But the cost of Sanwa is bit high even for entry level. 
The futaba is just as good as far as quality goes, but no ESC tuning is available because Futaba does not have an ESC like Sanwa does. However they are cheaper to invest in, and receiver are about half the price of Sanwa so if you do not plan on using the Sanwa ESC later in the future, don't buy a Sanwa. Go with Futaba instead.
Since I advise you to go for the SkyRC ESC with the wifi you will be able to tune via your phone so the Futaba should be plenty for your start. 
I spotted one doing a google search for $179 from tower hobbies.
>> For 3D printed Weight Shift products and more checkout www.oversliders.net <<
If I was helpful to you, make sure to hit the "Rate" button and leave me a positive review, Thank you.
Wow. Thank you for explaining it thoroughly. I will check your suggestions. It sucks because my yd2 plus is still on customs and it's been a week already. This is a bit off topic but may i ask how long have you been on this kind of hobby? You seem to know a lot of things.
(09-30-2017, 07:04 PM)boolitzzz Wrote:  Wow. Thank you for explaining it thoroughly. I will check your suggestions. It sucks because my yd2 plus is still on customs and it's been a week already. This is a bit off topic but may i ask how long have you been on this kind of hobby? You seem to know a lot of things.

lol, since 2005. 
I started when yokomo released their first RC drift car  ^^
What? haha yo da man bro! Anyway, I've check the two radio control you suggest but it seems like it has version on Rcmart. Can you send me a link if it's okay with you.
(10-02-2017, 07:18 PM)boolitzzz Wrote:  What? haha yo da man bro! Anyway, I've check the two radio control you suggest but it seems like it has version on Rcmart. Can you send me a link if it's okay with you.

I got better for you. 
I created a PDF with all my recommended combos based on budget. It's all hyperlinked too so you can double click on each items to go to go the site. 
I maximized your options from the cheapest combo without sacrificing quality, up to the most $$$. 

Let me add this as well so you can understand. 
The 4PL and MT-S are both 4 channel radios, meaning you can control up to 4 channels (Throttle, steering, CH3, CH4), but the truth is you can do with a 3 channel only. The third channel should be considered for your gyro Gain adjustment. That's how sensitive it is and how much it will assist your steering. 
So now with that said, adding a 3 channel option brought the cheapest option a lot cheaper. 
Checkout the file, all the parts are priced and hyperlinked so you can click and it goes straight to RCMart's site. 
I also added the most baller entry combo, which includes the Sanwa ESC and their Gyro. When combining all of these, it is really the best setup for Advanced beginner. 
Anyway I hope it's not too much to take in lol.

Attached Files
.pdf   combo.pdf (Size: 81.56 KB / Downloads: 4)
(10-03-2017, 07:05 AM)Tiger.T Wrote:  
(10-02-2017, 07:18 PM)boolitzzz Wrote:  What? haha yo da man bro! Anyway, I've check the two radio control you suggest but it seems like it has version on Rcmart. Can you send me a link if it's okay with you.

I got better for you. 
I created a PDF with all my recommended combos based on budget. It's all hyperlinked too so you can double click on each items to go to go the site. 
I maximized your options from the cheapest combo without sacrificing quality, up to the most $$$. 

Let me add this as well so you can understand. 
The 4PL and MT-S are both 4 channel radios, meaning you can control up to 4 channels (Throttle, steering, CH3, CH4), but the truth is you can do with a 3 channel only. The third channel should be considered for your gyro Gain adjustment. That's how sensitive it is and how much it will assist your steering. 
So now with that said, adding a 3 channel option brought the cheapest option a lot cheaper. 
Checkout the file, all the parts are priced and hyperlinked so you can click and it goes straight to RCMart's site. 
I also added the most baller entry combo, which includes the Sanwa ESC and their Gyro. When combining all of these, it is really the best setup for Advanced beginner. 
Anyway I hope it's not too much to take in lol.

I can't thank you enough for your helping hands bro. All i can do is give you a rate. I will try to post pictures once i completed all of them. Godbless!
Thanks man, good luck  =)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drift Electronics kilfer 4 1,215 04-06-2014, 03:06 AM
Last Post: kilfer