Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Embarrassing NOOB Questions
Dearest driftmission forum users , 

Please bear with me as i ask this most embarrassing question on behalf of every NOOB who has ever wanted to ask this question but couldn't muster up the courage to do so !

We all know what 4WD and 2WD drive represents , but whats the deal with this CS ?

I understand that it represents a Countersteer , and i understand the concept of countersteering itself but how does that relate to the actual RC car in terms of purchase ?

How do you know if the RC car you want to purchase has the ability to counter steer ?

To accomplish Countersteering, is it something you setup or tune parts of the RC to accomplish or does your car either either have CS ability or doesn't ?

Do most drift cars have the ability to countersteer ?

What is the main detail to look for in order to factor if a drift car can Countersteer ?

Do 2wd such as the MST FXX-D REVISED EDITION countersteer ?

Do 4wd such as the REDCAT Lightning EPX PRO countersteer ?

Do all RC drift cars that are not 50/50 countersteer ?

How do you know if the car is a 50/50 , CS , 4WD , 2WD , If the details aren't available in SPEC sale items details ?

Can a drift car be 2wd and CS ?

Can a drift car be 4WD and CS ?

I am fully aware of the dozens of threads explaining this , however i remain confused due to the pointless youtube clips explaining the differences which only further confused me .

I hope someone can do the NOOBS of the world a favour and help in a definitive explanation of the subject in simple terms .

Hope someone can help out ! Thank You ! 

P.S :

I'm asking because i plan on purchasing one of the two models listed above in my post and I'm not sure if the EPX PRO or the MST FXX-D can Countersteer ; hence my question and the subsequent confusion . 

I Apologise for the question but for NOOBS who are overwhelmed with research and tons of new information sometimes even the simplest of concepts can become confusing .
I'm pretty new to this drifting myself, been doing it for about a month now. The confusing part is counter steer refers to 2 different things. First that is what you do when the the rear swings out you counter steer to correct it or control it. This can and will happen on both AWD and RWD vehicles. Second counter steer can also mean that you are driving the rear wheels faster than the front wheels, this can only happen in a AWD or 4WD vehicle. 50/50 means that the front wheels and rear wheels are both turning the same speed.

I started about a month ago with a used HPI Sprint 2 Flux AWD 50/50 car. After learning to drift it some I took it to the local drift track and learned that most everyone in my area has migrated to a RWD car. I really enjoy drifting so I recently bought a Yokomo YD-2 which is a RWD now I have to learn all over again. The way you drift a RWD & AWD are not the same. I would suggest going to your local drift track and see what is most popular there RWD or AWD and purchase accordingly. That way you will have more support when learning to drift. RWD might be a little harder to learn but the rewards are much greater and it is much more realistic that AWD drifting.

I know I didn't answer all your questions but tried to answer the ones I could. Hopes this at least helps you a little.
Gramps
---------------------------------------------------
MST RMX 2.0S 
MST FXX-D
Exceed RC MadPulse awd

50/50 is awd where front wheels rotate at the same speed as the rear wheels or close to it.

Rwd - very straight forward. Power distribution is purely in the rear only.

Cs - is an awd. Gear ratios are used to simulate a rwd. Generally one wheel full turn in the rear, the front wheel makes only less then a turn. Different people use different ratios in gearing as to how much the front wheel will spin compared to the rear wheel.

Above are your option in RC cars type . As mentioned by Gramps, all 4wd can be converted to cs.
Rwd can't because there are no gears in the front.

I didn't like 4wd/5050/awd drifting. After a month of purchasing my rtr I ripped it apart and started my rwd project. It just didn't look nice drifting.

If your are new, I would not go down the cs road immediately. If is difficult.

Yes it is confusing initially. The act of counter steering happens in all drifts. Hope that clarifies.

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk
Team Magic - E4D(4) RWD - Sakura D4 RWD
(03-13-2017, 09:42 PM)Gramps50 Wrote:  I'm pretty new to this drifting myself, been doing it for about a month now. The confusing part is counter steer refers to 2 different things. First that is what you do when the the rear swings out you counter steer to correct it or control it. This can and will happen on both AWD and RWD vehicles. Second counter steer can also mean that you are driving the rear wheels faster than the front wheels, this can only happen in a AWD or 4WD vehicle. 50/50 means that the front wheels and rear wheels are both turning the same speed.

I started about a month ago with a used HPI Sprint 2 Flux AWD 50/50 car. After learning to drift it some I took it to the local drift track and learned that most everyone in my area has migrated to a RWD car. I really enjoy drifting so I recently bought a Yokomo YD-2 which is a  RWD now I have to learn all over again. The way you drift a RWD & AWD are not the same. I would suggest going to your local drift track and see what is most popular there RWD or AWD and purchase accordingly. That way you will have more support when learning to drift. RWD might be a little harder to learn but the rewards are much greater and it is much more realistic that AWD drifting.

I know I didn't answer all your questions but tried to answer the ones I could. Hopes this at least helps you a little.

Gramps , thanks for the reply , I'm starting to get it . 

How was the HPI Sprint 2 FLUX compared to the new RWD , is it that big of a difference ? The Sprint was one of the first cars i looked at but felt like it was more like something id purchase for a younger cousin or something , do you agree ? It seems more Toyish and outdated compared to some of the RWD models out in the market today , would you agree ? Compared to your new car , how would you rate it ? 

Thanks for your time Gramps , your answer was perfectly fine and i appreciate the reply .
(03-13-2017, 10:28 PM)littlemonsta Wrote:  50/50 is awd where front wheels rotate at the same speed as the rear wheels or close to it.

Rwd - very straight forward. Power distribution is purely in the rear only.

Cs - is an awd. Gear ratios are used to simulate a rwd. Generally one wheel full turn in the rear, the front wheel makes only less then a turn. Different people use different ratios in gearing as to how much the front wheel will spin compared to the rear wheel.

Above are your option in RC cars type . As mentioned by Gramps, all 4wd can be converted to cs.
Rwd can't because there are no gears in the front.

I didn't like 4wd/5050/awd drifting. After a month of purchasing my rtr I ripped it apart and started my rwd project. It just didn't look nice drifting.

If your are new, I would not go down the cs road immediately. If is difficult.

Yes it is confusing initially. The act of counter steering happens in all drifts.  Hope that clarifies.

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk

TO CONFIRM :

CS is only possible on AWD cars and NOT possible on RWD because the entire point of CS is to give AWD cars the feeling/ability to operate and look like a RWD car , correct ?

Additionally just to confirm , RWD is more realistic than AWD and CS , but RWD is hardest to control , followed by CS AWD ?

One more thing , to confirm , there is no such thing as a CS RC car , right , because CS is mechanical and accomplished by changing gear ratios 
which in turn simulates the pull and natural drag of a RWD , correct ? 

PLEASE... correct me if I'm wrong or missing something .

Thank You .
(03-14-2017, 12:19 AM)madeinjapandad Wrote:  Gramps , thanks for the reply , I'm starting to get it . 

How was the HPI Sprint 2 FLUX compared to the new RWD , is it that big of a difference ? The Sprint was one of the first cars i looked at but felt like it was more like something id purchase for a younger cousin or something , do you agree ? It seems more Toyish and outdated compared to some of the RWD models out in the market today , would you agree ? Compared to your new car , how would you rate it ? 

Thanks for your time Gramps , your answer was perfectly fine and i appreciate the reply .

I bought the Sprint 2 used and my thinking was that if I didn't like drifting I could convert it to a touring car and I still might. There is no comparison between the YD-2 and the Sprint 2, I wouldn't really call the Sprint 2 a toy, it's a hobby grade car that you can get parts for from your LHS and there are some upgrades made for it. The Sprint 2 is like an economy car and the Yokomo YD-2 is like a luxury car. The part are very high quality even being plastic I was very impressed with the quality of the YD-2. I now have to learn how to drift RWD but that was to be expected when I bought it. The YD-2 will drift very well right out of the box, last week at the track one of the guys brought in his new YD-2 that he has setup according to the instructions. It drifted like a dream, several of the guys there drove it and all had the same comment. I really don't think you can compare AWD to RWD they are 2 different animals, but RWD will look really close to 1:1 drifting a AWD will never look like that.

Most of the guys at the track where I drift are now into RWD so I decided to get into RWD before I  picked up any more bad AWD habits that I have to unlearn.
Gramps
MST RMX 2.0S 
MST FXX-D
Exceed RC MadPulse awd

Excellent information , thanks Gramps .

Can the YD-2 be an outdoor drifter as well ?

Would it still kill the HPI in outdoor drifting as well ?

I noticed HPI doesn't make a RWD , correct me if I'm wrong .

Are there any other drifters from HPI that catch your eye ?

I find the HPI website to be confusing , they don't mention which models are the highest preforming , they have a horrible method of displaying new products online , sad cause the site is crisp in terms of quality other than what i mentioned .
Yeah racing makes a c-hubless rwd conversion for the sprint 2. I'm waiting for it to show up in my mail box this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The YD-2 with the right tires would drift outside as well or better than the Sprint 2. The Sprint 2 comes in several different body styles. The Sprint 2 Flux comes with the brushless motor and esc. The chassis ans suspension is the same. Yea racing makes a conversion kit to convert a Sprint 2 to RWD.
Gramps
MST RMX 2.0S 
MST FXX-D
Exceed RC MadPulse awd

It doesn't matter whether your indoor or outdoor what matters is the surface I drift on and your tire type and hardness. There are many posts on surface/tire combos.
Sakura D4 RWD

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noob Questions... a little help plz Slapjack 2 822 11-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Last Post: davidsmunoz