Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Drift build, Looking for some advice on chassis.
Hey guys I'm looking to build my first RC drift car. Got decent knowledge of drift physics and setups but new to RC drift. Been doing heaps of research and think I've narrowed it down to a few options.
Currently I'm looking at getting a AWD CS setup (eventually 1.8 - 2.0+cs) but could go RWD if its just better. From what I've seen RWD is a lot harder to get setup and needs a fairly controlled surface. Ill be Driving on asphalt surface mostly, got a car park 1 min walk down the road and the local track is also asphalt but much smoother. There is a carpet track 1 hour away.
Chassis I'm looking at are the MST MS01D S kit or Sakura D4 Awd with upgrades.

MST MS01D S kit is $264au
Sakura D4 awd kit is $133 + upgrades = $294au

Here are the upgrades I'm looking at:
3Racing Sakura D4 AWD Aluminum Slide Steering System
3Racing Aluminum One Way Tube
3Racing Sakura D4 Belt Tensioner Bearing
3Racing Sakura D4 Belt Tensioner Post
Yeah Racing Aluminum Adjustable Front Lower Suspension Arm
Yeah Racing Aluminum Adjustable Rear Suspension Lower Arm
Yeah Racing Aluminum High KPI Adjustability Steering Suspension Knuckle (or 3Racing Aluminum Knuckle Version 2)
= $161

1: Is the MS01d S stock for that price as good as the D4 with upgrades? Seems hard to justify spending extra for the MST. 
2: Are those upgrades the main ones i'll need? 
3: Are any of them not worth getting at the start?
Or is another option worth looking at?

Thanks for your time and knowledge.
Hi . Cs is fun but I think if your going to the track to play see if they are using cs or rwd. It's more fun to play in a group rather then soloing.

Both cs and rwd and equally difficult to setup. I think rwd is more forgiving compared to cs.
In rwd, basically good electronics take you 70℅ there. After that is your style and car mods to suit it.

For d4 if you go down the rwd path. You will need to change the following. Knuckles. Lower front arm and rims.

Can't help with mst stuff.

I don't see any electronics in your list. I think that would be more important than hop ups.

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk
Team Magic - E4D(4) RWD - Sakura D4 RWD
I would also go down to the track and see what everyone is driving I would lean more to the MST just because I know the D4 has some issues out of the box and is typically less reliable
Thanks for the advice littlemonsta. The carpet place has a mix of CS and RWD. I'll head down to the asphalt track on sunday, That's the drift day. Hopefully a few guys will be there so I can see what they run and ask them about it.
Sounds like RWD might be an option.
Electronics I'm looking at:
TX/RX: RadioLink RC4G 2.4G 4CH Transmitter W/R4EH-G Rx
Motor/ESC: Hobbywing QUICRUN 3650SD 13.5T G2 Motor w/ Onisiki Hell Blaze 60A ESC Brushless Sensored Set #CB1035
Onisiki Hell Blaze Program Box #ONI4602
Servo:  Power HD High Speed Digital lineary Servo 7KG / 0.06Sec / 48 g  #DS-1206TG
or
TrackStar TS-915 Digital 1/10 Steering Servo 10.1kg / 0.08sec / 45g
Battery: Turnigy nano-tech 4200mAh 2S 25C Hardcase Lipo Pack

(If going rwd) Gyro: Onisiki Aluminum Case High Stability Gyro #ONI2801 or
Yeah Racing Hackslider Drift Tuned Gyro #YE-0021PK
(02-15-2017, 08:21 PM)Coloursofdan Wrote:  Thanks for the advice littlemonsta. The carpet place has a mix of CS and RWD. I'll head down to the asphalt track on sunday, That's the drift day. Hopefully a few guys will be there so I can see what they run and ask them about it.
Sounds like RWD might be an option.
Electronics I'm looking at:
TX/RX: RadioLink RC4G 2.4G 4CH Transmitter W/R4EH-G Rx
Motor/ESC: Hobbywing QUICRUN 3650SD 13.5T G2 Motor w/ Onisiki Hell Blaze 60A ESC Brushless Sensored Set #CB1035
Onisiki Hell Blaze Program Box #ONI4602
Servo:  Power HD High Speed Digital lineary Servo 7KG / 0.06Sec / 48 g  #DS-1206TG
or
TrackStar TS-915 Digital 1/10 Steering Servo 10.1kg / 0.08sec / 45g
Battery: Turnigy nano-tech 4200mAh 2S 25C Hardcase Lipo Pack

(If going rwd) Gyro: Onisiki Aluminum Case High Stability Gyro #ONI2801 or
Yeah Racing Hackslider Drift Tuned Gyro #YE-0021PK

For the first Item RC4G. Honestly I have no complains regarding this controller. I think its ok. Majority of the people really were telling me i should change the controller. Well I did after my nephew over turned my steering and broke it.  If you are looking at serious rc play consider a Sanwa or Futaba. There should be resale value if you ever quit rc. It terms of throttle, epa, expo graphs, they are on par with each other or could even been better then the lower end mx v controllers. The only thing i could not find on my sanwa controller which i missed about the rc4g is that i could set 6 throttle settings in the throttle control graphs. 

The major difference now is that I get better low end control with the Sanwa controller. This is for both throttle and steering. The feel of the control feels nicer and probably more accurate in controls. I can't tell the difference in response time.

Battery:  I think 25C is too low of discharge. Please go for a 60c and above battery. If you are running RWD you dont consume so much power. Majority of the time you are running less then 50% throttle. If you are going for AWD,  you might want a higher mAh pack. Coz its more fun on higher throttle :D

CS and RWD are both fun. RWD is just easier to pickup and drive compared to CS. However whatever you do or when you choose, please check with your local hobby store what parts are available and also the local drifters. Sometime you don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for a delivery from overseas. So choose a more popular chassis which is supported by your local hobby store at the same time. Local players at the track will be able to tell you what is more popular in your area. 

I chose the D4 only because i have 2-3 local hobby stores supplying parts for it.  Good Luck
All stock arms on d4. No need to upgrade. Change out front tires to hpi A types. So much fun to play with rwd.

Sent from my SM-G930T using DriftMission
Using a hpi gyro 75%

I had a look at some of the Sanwa and Futaba controllers but from what I've seen the RC4G should be fine while I'm learning. Good to know you didn't have any complaints with it. Better control on throttle and steering does sound nice though. Might look into getting a better one at some point if I feel I need it.

Whoops I forgot to mention I was also thinking of getting a Turnigy 5200mAh 2S 30C (60c burst).

Think I'll go RWD unless most of the locals run CS, after watching more vids and doing some reading I think I'll prefer that to AWD CS. I'll see what most of the locals run tomorrow at the local track though.
Thanks for the help.
(02-18-2017, 05:53 AM)madmikehi967 Wrote:  All stock arms on d4. No need to upgrade. Change out front tires to hpi A types. So much fun to play with rwd.

Yeah those type As look good, I'll try and order some when I get the car.
Thanks.
(02-18-2017, 10:03 AM)Coloursofdan Wrote:  
(02-18-2017, 05:53 AM)madmikehi967 Wrote:  All stock arms on d4. No need to upgrade. Change out front tires to hpi A types. So much fun to play with rwd.

Yeah those type As look good, I'll try and order some when I get the car.
Thanks.
I think in Australia and NZ standard competition tires are also using DS. I don't suggest buying different tires from standard competition rulings first.

On the track, we try to keep all tires on par with each other. There are two types of play for rwd. Going the grippy way or non grip, there is no wrong or right way.

There are other ways to achieve grip. Get your track standard tires first unless there is none or open tires. But always use same tires front and rear to learn balance.

If u are just picking up, stock d4 tires work on most surfaces. Car will understeer past 10℅throttle. That is normal. Counter that with power to pull the car to a drift. You will understand when u get the car.

You don't need to waste money for unnecessary tires later.

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk
Team Magic - E4D(4) RWD - Sakura D4 RWD

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  general advice for finishing up d3cs build deca 2 562 07-28-2015, 01:05 PM
Last Post: deca
  Advice on buying a chassis kit Chris Connor 6 1,353 09-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Chris Connor
  Advice on first drift build Juliand 34 7,225 01-19-2013, 02:38 AM
Last Post: Juliand