Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First drift car
Hey everyone,
I'm not new to RC cars (bashing around with a Traxxas Slash 4x4 for some time) but to drifting. And like others I now have to decide on a chassis.
What I'm looking for ist a beginner friendly but also future proof chassis with some potential for upgrading. Good availability of replacement and tuning parts (in Europe) is also really important. Furthermore I'd prefer a roller since I got some electronics laying around and dont want to pay extra for something I dont need. And finally the price should be up to 150€.

Here're some chassis that I allready checked out:
TT01e
TT02 (dont know what version yet)
Sakura D4 (again no idea if 4wd or 2wd)

The Tamiyas sure are cheaper and I've read that driveshafts are better than belts if you run outdoors. But to get them to the same level of adjustability as the D4 would require lots of tuning right?
If I'd choose one of the Tamiyas, what uprgades would be necessary?
Sry if my english is not perfect, but still hoping for some helpfull answers.
Thanks in andvance :)
Welcome!
Im pretty new also to drifting but I have looked at a bunch of drift cars. I know for a rolling kit Tamiya would be a really good kit. With that one you pretty much get all the parts and you build it from the ground up adding your own motor and ESC and stuff.
Have you looked at HobbyKing? They have a roller kit called Mission D. That one is $65 and you can add your own electronics. The parts are pretty easy to get also worldwide. Also with the Mission D they have a kit that is ARR all you have to do is add your own radio and go $85. That is the route i will be going. I will getting a new GTR R35 Tamiya body. The Mission D body is just not that great. If you look at it you will know what I mean. One more thing I my also point out is that the Mission D GTR is also a clone of a Yokoma DRB! That means you can use those parts to build up your kit. Tons of hop-up parts. HobbyKing also has another roller kit called 3Racing Sakura D4. They make it in a RWD and AWD kits. They are just over $100. They look really nice. They are roller kits so just add your electronics.
If you go with the Mission D kit you will have to get upgrade your diffs as they are very weak and will brake. But besides that and the odd spelling on the body thats all that you need to do with that one.
Good luck and happy drifting.
Hi and welcome. My first suggestion is to go down to your local track. Check what they carry and play. If you don't have one near you then follow the below.

Here are the best drift chassis. Just imagine a Tekno for sct. These the the current to date for rwd . In no particular order, and based on rwd. Most people in eu will likely go for most mst rmx-s. You can also get the yokomo yd series or the d4. However the Rmx and yd 2 are not 4wd. It really depends on where you are running the car. I would go for rmx or yd2 if you have a track nearby.
If you don't I would just do the d4 4wd. It leaves you the option of upgrades in the future. But bare in mind that the d4 has its own problems. The reason I would go this route over the other cars is the versatility of configuration. Upgrading from 4wd to rwd is easy and you most likely would down the road. TBH I got really bored with the 4wd after a month. It didn't look as real as a drift car. I am sure a few other people in this forum would share my view of getting a rwd compared to a 4wd. I would really leave the d4 as a last option but definitely better then a Tamiya or whatever hobbyking, hpi, chassis. You will have more problems if you decide a rwd down the road and most likely end up with a yokomo or mst chassis.
I am using a d4 chassis and I have definitely spend a sum on upgrades. I am sure it is still cheaper then a tamiya , yokomo, or mst chassis if you are on a tight budget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Team Magic - E4D(4) RWD - Sakura D4 RWD
When I got started into drifting about 6 months ago I was told on a forum (not this one) that you couldn't learn to drift with a RWD. That turned out to be a bunch of hooie. With that advice I bought used HPI Sprint 2 Flux AWD (4WD). I practiced in my driveway for a few weeks and then took it to the local drift track. There most were drifting with RWD chassis. While I was there I had the chance to drift both a Yokomo YD2 & a Sukara D4 both RWD. I wasn't good at it but it wasn't impossible I was doing almost as well with them as I was with my HPI 4WD.

I then bought a YD-2 and have never looked back. I like the RWD chassis much better, it more like real 1:1 drifting. The learning curve might be a tad bit steeper but well worth it and not really that bad. I did find that tires play a bigger part in a RWD than 4WD.

Both the YD-2 or the MST RMX 2.0 will work well right out of the box.
Gramps
---------------------------------------------------
MST RMX 2.0S 
MST FXX-D
Exceed RC MadPulse awd