Free rolling suspension mod on Sakura D4 RWD and AWD

8 Replies, 7668 Views

I posted this on another forum and thought it'd be a good idea to share it here as well.

I finally got the kit for each of my Sakura D4 and I've since tuned them both to my liking. I've been playing with them a bit, trying to re-learn throttle and steering control because those are directly affected by this mod. Once you have that down, the slide is smooth and is more forgiving if you want it to go on longer (ie, a long sweeping curve).

I didn't follow Hobby King's instructions, though. These were supposed to be used for the front. I'm not sure which cars Hobby King tested these on or what kind of drift chassis would need these for the front because this mod will make sure both front wheels are planted firmly when you're sliding. I don't think that's how it should be. When I tried it, it caused my cars to either spin out or turn in the direction the wheels are pointing (depending on AWD or RWD).

So I moved the kit to the rear for each car and that was when the drift became predictable and more controllable. The one thing AfroRC (YouTuber) talks about when he says "wedge" finally became obvious to me after this setup. What he means is that when you drift in a certain direction, you have this geometry --a triangle, where both rear wheels are planted and only one front wheel makes contact with the surface. The wheel that is on the inside, where you are sliding towards, is the only thing touching the ground. The other wheel just kinds of freewheels, drags along, or up in the air. This mod achieves that even if your shocks/springs aren't the best or tuned perfectly.

I don't care if anyone is against these because they make things "easier" or it "takes away from the challenge". There's a reason pros use these and that is because each track layout presents different challenges. Having every bit of advantage can't be a bad thing.

--Sean

HPI Sprint 2 Sport | 3Racing Sakura Zero S, Sakura D4 RWD & AWD | Turnigy SCT 2WD | BSR BZ-222
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2016, 06:22 AM by Seanzky.)
Thats a goog idea . Do you have a part number
(02-05-2016, 02:34 AM)Lbj Wrote: Thats a goog idea  .  Do you have a part number

I'll do better than a part number!

Here's what you'll need*:

1. Free Rolling Suspension Kit - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...2pcs_.html (from Hobby King)
2. 42mm pink turnbuckle -  #3RAC-TR342AL/PK (from Dinball/rcMart on eBay)
3. 5.8mm ball stud - #SAK-D422 (from Dinball/rcMart on eBay)
4. 4.8mm ball stud - #3RAC-BS4803S (from Dinball/rcMart on eBay)
5. 4.8mm ball caps - you should have some left over from the kit.
6. M3x10mm pink** button head hex socket - #TS-BSM310AL/PK (from Dinball/rcMart on eBay)

* This list only applies if you're doing the mod on a Sakura D4
** I couldn't find the black one, but there might be some left over from your kit as well.

NOTE: You can also buy these parts from other stores except for the TrackStar D-Spec Free Rolling Suspension Kit. I'm just sharing the links where I got them from.
--Sean

HPI Sprint 2 Sport | 3Racing Sakura Zero S, Sakura D4 RWD & AWD | Turnigy SCT 2WD | BSR BZ-222
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2016, 04:39 AM by Seanzky.)
Thank you

I have the sakura d4 awd & this is my next mod
aluminum turnbuckles bends on impact... i only use titanium turnbuckles. as for the ball studs, what are those for? the supplied ones should be sufficient for the suspension mod, which btw is best in the rear or used for a mono shock conversion. i do not use aluminum screws either, they strip easily and will just give you headaches.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2016, 01:33 PM by vlozity.)
Thanks for the review and parts list Seanzky. +rep for you Sir.
Yokomo DP - RWD | Instagram: Hobby_Monster
(02-05-2016, 12:20 PM)Lbj Wrote: Thank you

I have the sakura  d4 awd  &  this is my next mod

You're very welcome!

(02-05-2016, 01:32 PM)vlozity Wrote: aluminum turnbuckles bends on impact... i only use titanium turnbuckles. as for the ball studs, what are those for? the supplied ones should be sufficient for the suspension mod, which btw is best in the rear or used for a mono shock conversion. i do not use aluminum screws either, they strip easily and will just give you headaches.

It's true about the aluminum. The reason why I opted for them anyway is because they're far from the points of impact especially with a body on. But you're right, titanium all the way whenever you can. As for the 5.8mm ball studs, the ones where the shocks used to sit on required a button head screw, if I'm not mistaken. You can't use those on the L brackets as there will be no room on the other side for the button head screws. The 4.8mm ball studs are for the cross bar, which there aren't any extras from the kit to use.

(02-05-2016, 01:57 PM)idroppedthegrenade Wrote: Thanks for the review and parts list Seanzky. +rep for you Sir.

Thank you! I've been meaning to start a thread to show how my cars have been built so that I can add to the ones that are already there (each are unique so far), but I can never find the time to do a video. I will get to it one of these days, though.
--Sean

Thanks Seanzky!

What magnetic bodymount set are you using there? Looks neat on D4
(02-19-2016, 01:12 PM)chemic Wrote: Thanks Seanzky!

What magnetic bodymount set are you using there? Looks neat on D4

Thank you! These are the ones I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121782856717?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

The rare earth magnets that it comes with tend to break in half, so I bought extras for all my cars.

These are slightly thicker (sturdier) and stronger:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291105695427?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

These are the ones that go on the body:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151780245865?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT
--Sean

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2016, 07:08 PM by Seanzky.)