FXX-D VIP SSG to FMX-D chassis conversion

2 Replies, 1298 Views

Hi guys,

I am fairly new to the drifting scene and recently bought an FXX-D VIP. At my local track there is a lot of people using Yokomo Yd2s and other rear or mid mounted motor chassis so I thought I would go with something a little different with the FXX with the front mounted motor. I instantly realised the car to be way slower as the weight is greater towards the front which means it’s very hard to keep up with others on the track. 

I bought a rear battery mount which places a lot more weight over the rear end and then was told about the FMX conversion. My question is, has anyone used the existing FXX chassis but modified it to fit the mid motor mount? I can’t seem to find anything to give me dimensions so I can square the FMX and FXX chassis’s up against each other to see if the front and rear end holes all align. I do realise I do need the motor mount, drive shaft and upper deck but I don’t want to spend another £80+ on the FMX deck if I can modify my current one. 

If anyone has done this modification or knows if it can be done it would be a bit help. 

Thanks.
(01-08-2018, 09:49 AM)Readman Wrote: Hi guys,

I am fairly new to the drifting scene and recently bought an FXX-D VIP. At my local track there is a lot of people using Yokomo Yd2s and other rear or mid mounted motor chassis so I thought I would go with something a little different with the FXX with the front mounted motor. I instantly realised the car to be way slower as the weight is greater towards the front which means it’s very hard to keep up with others on the track. 

I bought a rear battery mount which places a lot more weight over the rear end and then was told about the FMX conversion. My question is, has anyone used the existing FXX chassis but modified it to fit the mid motor mount? I can’t seem to find anything to give me dimensions so I can square the FMX and FXX chassis’s up against each other to see if the front and rear end holes all align. I do realise I do need the motor mount, drive shaft and upper deck but I don’t want to spend another £80+ on the FMX deck if I can modify my current one. 

If anyone has done this modification or knows if it can be done it would be a bit help. 

Thanks.

So I did both. 

I took an FXX VIP and turned it into the poor man's FMX VIP by drilling the original deck. However it's not how it's supposed to be done. You're supposed to use a complete different set of decks. 
That's why I called it "poor man's FMX" because it saves you about $150 once you buy it and get it shipped to you from China/Taiwan or whoever your MST reseller is. 
I have a template I can share with you to make it happen. It uses two existing holes of the deck to place the template then drill the new holes for the motor mount. 
It works but it will require a new upper deck. I have 3D printed the upper deck with the weight shift included. You can find it on my IG or on my facebook page if you want. 
I never actually sold it but I wouldn't mind sharing it as I have no interest in selling these. 
The current way I have my FXX setup is backward with the CS kit and a solid spool so it's basically the opposite of an FRD (Rear motor longitudinal with rear drive). I ended up using a  VX dock for steering, which sucks, I prefer the wipers by far.
>> For 3D printed Weight Shift products and more checkout www.oversliders.net <<
If I was helpful to you, make sure to hit the "Rate" button and leave me a positive review, Thank you.
(01-08-2018, 05:25 PM)Tiger.T Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 09:49 AM)Readman Wrote: Hi guys,

Thanks.

So I did both. 

I took an FXX VIP and turned it into the poor man's FMX VIP by drilling the original deck. However it's not how it's supposed to be done. You're supposed to use a complete different set of decks. 
That's why I called it "poor man's FMX" because it saves you about $150 once you buy it and get it shipped to you from China/Taiwan or whoever your MST reseller is. 
I have a template I can share with you to make it happen. It uses two existing holes of the deck to place the template then drill the new holes for the motor mount. 
It works but it will require a new upper deck. I have 3D printed the upper deck with the weight shift included. You can find it on my IG or on my facebook page if you want. 
I never actually sold it but I wouldn't mind sharing it as I have no interest in selling these. 
The current way I have my FXX setup is backward with the CS kit and a solid spool so it's basically the opposite of an FRD (Rear motor longitudinal with rear drive). I ended up using a  VX dock for steering, which sucks, I prefer the wipers by far.
Ahh cool thanks very much, the template would be a huge help. Do i get it from the Oversliders site?
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2018, 01:29 AM by Readman.)