I had come up with the idea of building an all black FR-D early last year, and throughout the year I had collected parts for my eventual FR-D build.
Since I wanted to build an all black chassis, I sold my FR-D Ver 1.1 kit when I got wind of the Ver. 2 kit including black carbon decks instead of SSG.
By this time I had collected most of the major bits I'd be needing, and after selling my DIB, I ordered the remaining parts I'd need to complete the chassis.
So now that I have all the parts I need to build the FR-D into a roller, it's time to get down to business.
Build - Part 1
Here it is, all the contents of the box layed out.
I started by prepping the main chassis plates carbon edges, by sanding them down, and adding some glue to seal the edges.
As far as the sanding went, I used some 400 grit sandpaper, giving the edges a good sand to get rid of the "sharp" feeling.
With that done, I turned my attention to building the WUN kit.
I started by assembling the gearbox, this was actually a very straightforward process.
I should note I opted to run some Square RC steel pinions.
These are some of the strongest steel pinions on the market.
The gear mesh is adjusted by loosening the top screw, and adjusting the arm up or down.
As you can see, I ditched the stock black hex screws for some gold hex screws.
Once this was done, I went to work on the front suspension mounts.
As per the manual I shaved down the stock plastic front separate suspension mounts.
The reason for doing so is to create clearance for the motor.
If you are running the aluminum mounts, I do not believe you will have to worry about clearance issues.
The FR-D kit supplies a front suspension mount, which has a cutout for the motor.
Next I installed the steering posts, as well as the hardened front drive cup that comes with the FR-D Ver. 2 kit.
Everything is coming together nicely, very straightforward build.
As for the gears, make sure you do not tighten the pinions right up against the aluminum mounts.
Doing so may cause some binding, a little play is desirable for a free moving transfer case.
With the front bulkhead/transfer case built, I turned my attention to the rear gear case.
I opted to run a black Overdose gear case in place of the stock plastic unit.
Inside it would be housing a RC926 light weight solid axle.
This unit is aluminum, with steel outdrive cups.
For the rear damper tower, I will also be running an Overdose rear tower.
For the gears, I am using the stock plastic units mated to the RC926 solid axle.
Everything is coming together great at this point.
For my rear drive cup, I'm also using an Overdose unit.
For the FR-D kit, you need to use the short input shaft used on the front of the Drift Package.
I found there was a fair bit of back and forth play in this, and added some shims to eliminate the play.
The drive cup is attached using a screw in pin.
This is much more convenient than the original "clip in" pin that comes with the Drift Pacakage.
I forgot to add the Overdose rear gear case mount, but the rear gear case is basically done.
I then installed the gear case, along with the stock plastic suspension blocks.
I should note that the manual says to use front separate suspension blocks in the rear...
Since I didn't have any at the moment, I just installed the rear separate ones for the time being...
As for the center shaft I went with a black Overdose shaft.
Up next was the battery mounts.
For that I will be using some saddle pack mounts.
These do not come with the FR-D kit, and must be purchased separately.
With them installed, the chassis is coming together rather well.
Now I needed to install the upper deck pieces. This is a two piece design, that ties in the upper deck with the front transfer case/bulkhead.
And there you have it, the WUN kit is basically all assembled.
Here you can see the front upper deck design, how it ties in the bottom deck with the steering posts into the top of the transfer case.
Yea... my upper deck is upside down T_T
In the rear, I added some 1mm spacers under the top deck.
This is all I needed for battery clearance.
You can probably get away with using some M3x10 screws instead of M3x12.
All that was left now was to mount the motor mount ring and front damper tower.
For the front damper tower, I will be running a black Overdose unit.
The final pieces of the WUN kit installed.
The motor mount ring clamps the motor in place using a 18mm screw.
I test fitted my motor, and there should be no need to mount it to the bulkhead/transfer case.
The ring holds it in place firm and secure.
You can always install yours onto the front bulkhead/transfer case to be safe, but I'll opt not to.
This is as far as I got today. Overall it didn't take me all that long either.
Next will be the suspension, and installing the steering wipers.
I'll put the top deck on the correct way when I install the steering wipers as well haha...