Genki's FR-D Ver. 2

84 Replies, 57265 Views

That means deanodising and than polishing it I suppose. I think that would work if you want to get the kind of shine that is found in parts like the rc926 damper color change set. I am.wondering if I wanted the overdose kind of matt look...hmm...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Sick dude, i'm jelly
FS-01D
MS-01D
VDF-II
FR-D v3.0
Active FR Rwd - Forsale
If you want the same finish as overdose has then the parts won't need to be polished but stone tumbled instead
[Image: 405149244.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2014, 02:22 AM by AzN 2NR.)
Are your saddle packs the short short size? My straight lipo straps fit my voltz saddle packs but too long for my yokomo saddle packs. No size is listed anywhere i can see online.
(03-17-2014, 06:31 PM)Piper Wrote: Sick dude, i'm jelly

Haha no way man, your FR-D is an amazing build! Are you still thinking of swapping to a Ver. 2?

(03-21-2014, 02:43 PM)RubHamuSan Wrote: Are your saddle packs the short short size? My straight lipo straps fit my voltz saddle packs but too long for my yokomo saddle packs. No size is listed anywhere i can see online.

I'm not quite certain what you're trying to ask, but my saddle packs fit the saddle holders with a bit of room to spare. My lipos are Eagle Racing 5400 saddle packs. If you need me to measure something for you, just let me know...
AFRO'S RC CLUB x KERIZMA CLUB x MADHOUSE

Yokomo Type-C - RWD
Wrap-Up Next FR-D - RWD
[Image: IMG_20140322_242704_421.jpg]
Voltz rc short lipo on left about 3.7" on right is yokomo short lipo about 2.7" are your saddle holders for 2.7 or 3.7 inch?
(03-22-2014, 04:34 AM)RubHamuSan Wrote: [Image: IMG_20140322_242704_421.jpg]
Voltz rc short lipo on left about 3.7" on right is yokomo short lipo about 2.7" are your saddle holders for 2.7 or 3.7 inch?

Mine are the 2.7" saddle pack holders.
What you have are two shorty pack holders, not saddle pack holders.
If you wanted to run saddle packs, and didn't want to spend money on buying the holders, you can just run some foam to keep the batteries snug in the shorty holders.
Hope that helps~ ^^

Yokomo Type-C - RWD
Wrap-Up Next FR-D - RWD
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2014, 05:07 PM by GenkiRF.)
Sure does. Could I get a part number for the saddle holders please.
0070-FD - these are the ones I am using.

Yokomo Type-C - RWD
Wrap-Up Next FR-D - RWD
Today I got to work on basically building the chassis up to a roller minus dampers. I started by installing the rear hub bearings and some ball studs I have been patiently waiting on...
[Image: 004_zpsad8fb943.jpg]

For the rear CVD's I'll be running some Yokomo L.F. rear CVD's.
[Image: 001_zpsff9489e8.jpg]

I also picked up some black clamp hex hubs too. I toyed with picking up a set of Overdose ones, but went with some RC926 4mm clamp hubs instead. They look great, and were only $9 - less than half of what the Overdose ones would run me.
[Image: 005_zpsf80a4be0.jpg]

They finish off the knuckles nicely. A great cheap set of hex hubs!
[Image: 006_zpsf0920147.jpg]

I moved my rear hub on the VX arms out as well. This was to create clearance for the Yokomo CVD's. In this position, I believe it is slightly wider than a stock setup would have been... pushing the rear out to around 200mm? I wonder what other CVD's will work with these... I'm thinking Kazama R31 ones might. I'll find out in due time and try to change it back to a narrower setup.
[Image: 007_zpsa5a4e975.jpg]

I also picked up some Overdose ball cups. I wish I stuck with Yokomo DRB ones, these have a fair bit of play in them. Wasn't entirely impressed. (yes, I bought the correct size ball studs to go with them)
[Image: 008_zps587b1e9e.jpg]

I installed them on some Overdose turnbuckles. The rear end was basically all tied together now.
[Image: 009_zps709d4005.jpg]

All that's left is to install the dampers.
[Image: 011_zpsedf5cf6a.jpg]

I'm loving the black and gold look, really happy with it.
[Image: 010_zpsb3449289.jpg]

With the rear pretty much done, I directed my attention towards the front end. I'll be running the ball stud in the middle position on the knuckles.
[Image: 012_zpsb9d5c566.jpg]

I bought some Tamiya M-Chassis freewheel axles to run with the WUN GX knuckles, as well as some 5mm spacers.
[Image: 013_zpscba4164d.jpg]

Here's a close up look of the freewheel axles.
[Image: 014_zps8f0be4f7.jpg]

I added 2.3mm worth of spacers to the rear... I think I will add another .1mm spacer to reduce the play without having the axles bind. I hate spacing shit out sometimes @_X;; BTW, although WUN recommends 2mm of spacing, the actual spacing will depend on what hex adapters you are running. You'll have to space it out accordingly, I needed another .3-.4 of spacing~
[Image: 015_zpsa0ceab31.jpg]

Here are the front axles, and wheel hexes installed. You get a clear view of why you need the spacers here, and a good indication of how thin the GX knuckles are.
[Image: 016_zps2a001261.jpg]

And that pretty much completes the front knuckles!! I can't wait to see what the low scrub setup will feel like.
[Image: 017_zpsb514d657.jpg]

I installed some 5mm ball ends on the steering wipers ackerman extensions, and capped them with black nylon lock nuts for the turnbuckle. I used the same sizes and nuts for the steering turnbuckles as well.
[Image: 018_zpsbf948806.jpg]

After that I installed the adjustable ackerman turnbuckle. I can't say what size I'm running, I just kind of played around with it without measuring, and it all worked out hahaha...
[Image: 023_zpse0dbc418.jpg]

Just enough clearance ^^;;
[Image: 024_zps1c800d20.jpg]

Once that was taken care of I installed the steering turnbuckles, finishing up the front suspension of the car. I am going to replace the front ball cups with RPM ball cups once I get the chance to do so. I have quite a bit of play with the OD ball cups and want to eliminate as much of it as possible =/ I know some play is acceptable, but what I have is excessive.
[Image: 021_zpsad5c2a97.jpg]

You can see from the last pic there's something hanging off my knuckles... I was playing around with some extension posts to see where I can run some stoppers on for the knuckles. This way at lock they won't go past the point of no return haha...
[Image: 022_zpsf77dca2e.jpg]

I took the plastic bumper from my Type-C as well since I'm running the stock doripake bumper on it for the time being, and installed it on the FR-D to see what the completed front end would look like.
[Image: 025_zpsb3613da4.jpg]

And of course I'll be running an Overdose aluminum bumper support as well Tongue
[Image: 026_zps4aa82d35.jpg]

Finishes up the front end nicely. Since the motor has been moved back 5mm, there's no issues with clearance when running front bumper supports anymore.
[Image: 027_zps66affb17.jpg]
[Image: 028_zps0a7042fc.jpg]
[Image: 029_zpse215cc9c.jpg]

I'll probably build the dampers tomorrow, and then I will finally have it built into a roller.
A bit of small detail work will need to be done too, knuckle stops ect. Basically some small finishing touches ^^
Once my receiver and servo arrive, I'll have this thing up and running ASAP - I have all the other electronics in hand. Can't wait!!!!

Yokomo Type-C - RWD
Wrap-Up Next FR-D - RWD