Genki's Overdose Type-C

208 Replies, 156326 Views

One of the best looking chassis I've seen. Drool worthy:B):
[Image: 4028172207455215s.jpg]
Overdose Drift Package RWD
CER D08 Premium RWD
Yokomo DRB Overdose RWD
Ce-RX type R White Wolf RWD
I wanted to finish this chassis by the summer, but it's taken me considerably longer. Mainly because of all the Overdose bits I keep buying for it :S that shit adds up fast lol. Since my last update, there were only a few more things left to do to the car before I can call it close to done.

There have been comments saying it's pretty weird to see a full option Yokomo Drift Package still retaining a tub chassis, and I agree! Although it kinda looks cool... the plan was always to upgrade to a carbon chassis. The question was what one though, there are soo many.

After seeing pictures of RC926's carbon conversion they were working on a few months ago, I knew this was the direction I wanted to go. After it's initial release, I waited a while before ordering it... but it was too late, they were sold out! I had to wait for RC926's next production cycle before I could get my hands on one. I waited a good month or so, but I finally got my hands on it. Thank you Ando-san@Tetsujin!
[Image: 020_zpse86dc3f6.jpg]

I got to work by prepping the chassis, and sanding down the edges.
[Image: 022_zps26ab254d.jpg]

Once I was done, I used some Tamiya Cement Glue to seal the edges of the chassis... I know people use different glue, but I've been using this stuff for a while now without issues. It doesn't leave that nice shiny edge though...
[Image: 024_zps84cdb8a5.jpg]

Here's a look at the prepped chassis. I went with the 2.6mm version for less flex. It has a cutout for the motor, as well as the spur. It's a straight forward simple design, just what I was looking for.
[Image: 025_zps431294b7.jpg]

I also opted to buy the optional 12mm high type center bone. This will make the chassis even more rigid, and flex will be controlled by the mounting screws along the center bone. Sorry for the blurry pics.
[Image: 028_zpsb6368e4e.jpg]

[Image: 029_zpsc0f4ef5c.jpg]

Now the kit comes with stand offs to mount your chassis braces to, but I had purchased a set of Overdose standoffs ages ago, so I replaced the original kit standoffs with my Overdose units. I also installed the supplied steering posts along with the supplied spacers... you can customize how high your steering rack sits.
[Image: 030_zps8aaba491.jpg]

[Image: 032_zps95a90a01.jpg]

[Image: 034_zpsb6798baa.jpg]

Next on the list was the battery holder set. The RC926 conversion kit doesn't include anything for mounting batteries. I had bought the Overdose Aluminum Battery Holder Set a long time ago as well, and got to work installing it.
**NOTE** You don't have to go with the Overdose parts to mount the batteries though, the RC926 conversion allows you to use the Imadoki battery holder set as well. RC926 also makes aluminum tie downs to go along with the Imadoki holders. I believe Yokomo also offers a aluminum battery plate set as well. There are lots of options.
[Image: 031_zps572fa2b0.jpg]

[Image: 035_zpsa4154628.jpg]

[Image: 033_zpsc39a6497.jpg]

After that I just transferred everything from the tub to the carbon chassis. The thing I love about the Doripake is that everything can be transferred in large chunks. The front and rear gear cases, along with chassis braces can be removed as one big chunk, and removal is very easy. This chassis is pretty maintenance friendly in my opinion.
[Image: 037_zpsfca0926c.jpg]

[Image: 036_zpsc94a04df.jpg]

Here's the front end coming together nicely.
[Image: 040_zpsa45115ca.jpg]

Moving onto the rear, while I had everything apart I decided to install my spur. I went with a Kawada 88t spur, which fits in the chassis with ease. I think you might even be able to go up to a 90t spur, thanks to the spur cutout on the chassis. To hold it in place I used an Overdose Type-3 Spur Gear Plate.
[Image: 041_zps4a70d7b1.jpg]

[Image: 042_zps8abd6eea.jpg]

[Image: 044_zps74d33e53.jpg]

Once I was done with that I put the rest of the rear end together. I used TN-Racing teflon wheelbase adjusters to space out my rear arms. I also added a Street Jam rear diffuser as a final touch to the rear end.
[Image: 047_zps611d1c3e.jpg]

I found All Blue! (One Piece reference~ haha)
[Image: 048_zpsa2bc18eb.jpg]

Now all that was left was to finish up the front end. While I was waiting for my RC926 carbon conversion I went ahead and ordered the remaining parts for the front end of my Doripake. I contemplated long and hard if I would run the Wrap Up Next Y-arms or if I would go with the Overdose Y-arms... in the end I decided to just go full Overdose. Along with the Overdose lower arms, I ordered their Upper arms, and something I never intended to upgrade to... their front 8* caster hubs ;O
[Image: 049_zps8fc8ae4c.jpg]

[Image: 051_zpsf01b113a.jpg]

[Image: 052_zps03b7a100.jpg]

This setup will allow me to go over 55* of steering when paired with the Overdose steering assembly, and that's where my Overdose quest ends... Overdose CVD's are only rated up to 55*, so I ended up going with a set of Active Hobby adjustable CVD's which are apparently good for 65*.
[Image: 053_zps9231a8ba.jpg]

So what's all this goodness look like? Simply put, quite amazing. As you can see I added 4mm of spacers on top of my hubs. I also added 1mm spacers under the steering linkage on the hubs to remove bump steer as well.
[Image: 058_zpsc0d13f25.jpg]

[Image: 056_zpsd406b317.jpg]

[Image: 001_zpsd359f9c0.jpg]

With that, the cars front end is now complete.
[Image: 002_zpsc7598d6e.jpg]

[Image: 003_zpsa09ef644.jpg]

So what's left? Not a whole lot actually... I need to get a set of aluminum separate front suspension mounts, a few miscellaneous spacers, better wheel hubs, and some parts for some custom servo mounts (The RC926 conversion comes with servo mounts, but I'll be doing something different) Aside from that... all that's really left is electronics. The end is near Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

[Image: 060_zps06a413ea.jpg]

(09-27-2013, 03:20 AM)HAYASHI Wrote: Damn that looks good!!

Thanks man, I couldn't be happier with the way it's come together~ Big Grin

(09-27-2013, 04:32 AM)lougc8 Wrote: One of the best looking chassis I've seen. Drool worthy:B):

Wow, probably one of the best compliments you can receive! Thank you ^^
AFRO'S RC CLUB x KERIZMA CLUB x MADHOUSE

Yokomo Type-C - RWD
Wrap-Up Next FR-D - RWD
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2013, 08:42 PM by GenkiRF.)
I'd like to nominate this chassis for chassis of the year!
[Image: KC_zpsd2cfde5e.jpg]
wow!

A lot of work time and money in this! Great work!
CSed tt-01
[Image: Untitled4_zps584e280c.png]
FUCK YES!

thats inspiration!

Must order 926 chassis.

Now,

Blue Sanwa Set for you!

You know they have a special edition right?

[Image: 176851.jpg]

I like helping you spend money...

I have just gone OD chassis for my DRB. It's now over $1500

just like NFL... go Deep!
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2013, 10:32 AM by RE-Xtreme RC.)
(09-29-2013, 03:44 AM)antinnous Wrote: I'd like to nominate this chassis for chassis of the year!

agreed
(09-29-2013, 03:44 AM)antinnous Wrote: I'd like to nominate this chassis for chassis of the year!

Thanks man, means a lot!! I'd be hard pressed to beat your FR-D for that though~ >_< RE-Xtremes DRB should look the business once done with the OD chassis set too! Full Polish OD vs Silver OD vs Blue OD... choose your poison? lol

(09-29-2013, 08:43 AM)candy_red Wrote: wow!

A lot of work time and money in this! Great work!

Thanks man, this has been a long build, it's good to see the end in sight! ^^

(09-29-2013, 10:05 AM)RE-Xtreme RC Wrote: FUCK YES!

thats inspiration!

Must order 926 chassis.

Now,

Blue Sanwa Set for you!

You know they have a special edition right?

[Image: 176851.jpg]

I like helping you spend money...

I have just gone OD chassis for my DRB. It's now over $1500

just like NFL... go Deep!

Thanks man, I really like the RC926 chassis for it's simple design. I don't think I'll be running the top deck though.

Oh man, did you win that auction for the OD Chassis set, Red Motor Mount ect a few days back? I had my eye on that one... I just saw a fresh in package OD chassis set with shock towers listed at 8,000 yen last night... If it hasn't already, the price will go up for sure though.

Your DR-Bling is going to look amazing with the Overdose chassis set. I can't wait to see it, should rival the RC Build Shop demo car Smile

I saw the limited colour Sanwa set... I'm torn. It would be awesome if I had the M12, as it makes full use of the ESC functions. I really want to run a Keyence Aria ESC... but the price for the Sanwa combo is good as well, roughly $400 for the set on RC-Art... add motor and close to $510.

I priced out the Acuvance/Keyence combo with Sanwa receiver and SRG-BLS v.2 servo and it came out to around $580 without any additional extras like the TAO unit, chevalier capacitor, shorter wires ect.

I'm not sure what direction I want to go yet... seeing the Sanwa combo put a wrench in my plans lol~

I also added up the totals of my build so far before I passed out last night... We are in similar territories with our builds. I'll post up the parts list later after work, as I know you wanted to know the totals of the OD bits.

Yokomo Type-C - RWD
Wrap-Up Next FR-D - RWD
With the 12mm lower block and 2.6mm chassis, I don't think you'll need the upper deck, It looks the Balls as is.
I don't need the deck on my SSG, Its just there for looks.

The RWD Package isn't getting the RC926 chassis just yet.
My real car needs some coil overs and I'm giving that priority at the moment.

And I just bought a heap of stuff to play with.
I didn't get the red OD set.
I bought just a OD chassis plate and upper deck for 23000. They were 18900 new anyway.
I don't need the OD towers as I never adjust the shock positions beyond stock.

I tried to get a used DRB with Full Keyence Set but it went higher than I wanted to pay.
I wanted to bite the bullet and get the Sanwa set, but I'm not ready.

you never know, Xmas is 3 months away.
(09-29-2013, 01:19 PM)RE-Xtreme RC Wrote: With the 12mm lower block and 2.6mm chassis, I don't think you'll need the upper deck, It looks the Balls as is.
I don't need the deck on my SSG, Its just there for looks.

The RWD Package isn't getting the RC926 chassis just yet.
My real car needs some coil overs and I'm giving that priority at the moment.

And I just bought a heap of stuff to play with.
I didn't get the red OD set.
I bought just a OD chassis plate and upper deck for 23000. They were 18900 new anyway.
I don't need the OD towers as I never adjust the shock positions beyond stock.

I tried to get a used DRB with Full Keyence Set but it went higher than I wanted to pay.
I wanted to bite the bullet and get the Sanwa set, but I'm not ready.

you never know, Xmas is 3 months away.

Yea, I bought the high type center bone so I wouldn't have to run the top deck. To be honest though, I could probably run without the top deck with the supplied center bone, the chassis is pretty rigid as is.

Ahh, I saw that chassis set as well. I always eye OD DRB's lol, I've always wanted one... one day I'll pick one up!

Xmas... my justification to buy myself electronics!!! hahaha

Anyways, I remember you asked for a parts list/total spent on the Overdose bits a while back~ I bought 98% of my Overdose parts from Ando-san @ Tetsujin, but I was too lazy to go through pages of history and find the exact prices. I pulled these off of Banzai Hobbies site, and if I remember correctly, the price discrepancy between the two was minimal so the total should still be pretty accurate.

My car has 99% of the upgrades they've released (just missing the one-way cups I believe). I think Overdose is working on rear suspension arms still... and who knows, maybe they'll release their own Carbon Conversion too...

But here is the total so far for the Overdose bits:

Overdose Aluminum Gear Case Set (#OD1193) - ¥7,800 x2 -> ¥15,600
Overdose Aluminum Front Gear Case Mount (#OD1194) - ¥2,079
Overdose Aluminum Rear Gear Case Mount (#OD1196) - ¥2,363
Overdose Aluminum Bumper Support Set (#OD1041) - ¥1,890
Overdose Aluminum Front Chassis Brace (#OD1239) - ¥3,969
Overdose Aluminum Front Tower Bar (#OD1240) - ¥2,268
Overdose Aluminum Rear Chassis Brace (#OD1241) - ¥3,402
Overdose Aluminum Post Set for Carbon Chassis Brace (#OD1247) - ¥2,646
Overdose Aluminum Battery Holder Set (#OD1279) - ¥2,646
Overdose Aluminum Front Shock Tower (#OD1244) - ¥2,520
Overdose Aluminum Rear Shock Tower (#OD1246) - ¥3,060
Overdose Aluminum Upper Arm Mount Set for Type-C (#OD1245) - ¥3,510
Overdose Aluminum Spur Gear Support Plate Dark Blue Type-3 (#OD1209) - ¥945
Overdose Aluminum Servo Saver Horn Type-2 for Yokomo (#OD1350) - ¥2,174
Overdose Aluminum Shock Cap Set for Yokomo (#OD1357) - ¥1,512 x2 -> ¥3,024
Overdose Aluminum Shock Adjustment Nut for Yokomo (#OD1007) - ¥1,701
Overdose Aluminum Rear Upright for Yokomo (#OD1300) - ¥4,347
Overdose Aluminum Battery Support (#OD1251) - ¥3,024
Overdose Aluminum Motor Mount Set (#OD1250) - ¥6,804
Overdose Aluminum Steering Crank Set (#OD1252) - ¥6,426
Overdose Aluminum Upright Trial 2 For Yokomo Drift Package (#OD1299) - ¥4,914
Overdose Aluminum Front Suspension Arm Set for Drift Package (#OD1364) - ¥5,481
Overdose Aluminum Front Upper Arm Set for Drift Package (#OD1446) - ¥4,554
Overdose Hard Steel Center Cup Joint for Drift Package (#OD1277) - ¥1,701

Overdose Total: ¥91,048

With the current exchange rate that would be $954 CDN. I bought parts when the exchange rate was close to even as well, so the $CDN price won't really be accurate.

Yokomo Type-C - RWD
Wrap-Up Next FR-D - RWD
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2013, 11:31 PM by GenkiRF.)
BLUE Smile