Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello all I'm and old school pro who left the hobby over 24 years ago who is now back to newbie status. Looking to jump right back in. Hope there is not to much that has changed. Lol thanks for having me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the big thing you will find is the change in the radios, no more crystals to change or limits to how many can run at once. The 2.4gHz radios are the cats meow. Run multiple vehicles off one TX. The other big change is batteries, when I was in R/C before if we got 8 minutes we were doing great. Now with lipos it is not uncommon to get 15-20 minutes or even more.

BTW welcome to the fourms
Gramps
---------------------------------------------------
Yokomo YD-2
MST FXX-D
MST RMX 2.0S (on order)
Exceed RC MadPulse

(01-31-2017, 12:43 AM)Gramps50 Wrote:  I think the big thing you will find is the change in the radios, no more crystals to change or limits to how many can run at once. The 2.4gHz radios are the cats meow. Run multiple vehicles off one TX. The other big change is batteries, when I was in R/C before if we got 8 minutes we were doing great. Now with lipos it is not uncommon to get 15-20 minutes or even more.

BTW welcome to the fourms

Both are welcome changes. I used to have several sets of crystals and that telescoping antenna lol. The batteries are a little confusing to me still. With the multiple wires coming out of one battery pack. And all the different connections that they have now. I remember soldering my own battery packs. But better batteries is always a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lipos are a litte different than the old nicads we used to use in our RC cars. I do remember building my own packs with matching cells, then making the left over cells into packs and selling them to recoupe some of the cost.

I think the Dean's & Traxxas plugs are the main ones used. I myself use Dean's. You have the power wire coming out which will have your the connector that you will use to connect to the esc. The other wires coming out are for balancing when charging. It is best to balance charge lipos so it is best to buy a good aftermarket charger and not use the ones that come in the kits. The balance lead allows the charger to read the voltage of each cell so that it can put the same charge in each cell which when fully charge will be 4.2v per cell.
Gramps
---------------------------------------------------
Yokomo YD-2
MST FXX-D
MST RMX 2.0S (on order)
Exceed RC MadPulse