Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to stop crab walking
Info 
Greetings,

I have an RWD Sakura D4, I just ordered an aluminum steering rack from 3Racing, but in the meantime I am trying to understand and remove the "crab walk" that the car is currently exhibiting.

I understand that the crab walking is a result of bad ackerman angles.

I consulted this blog post and posed a question at the bottom:
http://www.bigsquidrc.com/continental-dr...tech-talk/

In short what causes crab walking? Is it due to the leading wheel (say your turned right, the right wheel is leading, and the left is trailing) have a greater angle than the trailing wheel?

Thanks very much for any assistance.

Gunnar
(02-14-2017, 08:11 PM)gbalstad Wrote:  Greetings,

I have an RWD Sakura D4, I just ordered an aluminum steering rack from 3Racing, but in the meantime I am trying to understand and remove the "crab walk" that the car is currently exhibiting.

I understand that the crab walking is a result of bad ackerman angles.

I consulted this blog post and posed a question at the bottom:
http://www.bigsquidrc.com/continental-dr...tech-talk/

In short what causes crab walking? Is it due to the leading wheel (say your turned right, the right wheel is leading, and the left is trailing) have a greater angle than the trailing wheel?

Thanks very much for any assistance.

Gunnar
What tires are you using ? Can show a pic of your setup. Out of the box with standard stock tires. The d4 doesn't have this problem. The only reason i can think of for this to happen is that you have setup a grippy tire in front and non grip tire at the back.

Currently only mods to my d4 are slide rack steering and aluminium y arms. Rim offset at 11. Everything else is out of the box.

Wheel alignment should be almost neutral or a little toe out When car is sitting on ground.
Camber at 4 -6 degs in front. Fully compressed car will exhibit slight toe in. Fully uncompressed will toe out.

Caster settings are stock. However instead of putting the 2 washers at the each ends of the y arms. I have 2 washers followed by the arm and and super thin washer at the end. This increases caster angle a bit more.

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk
Team Magic - E4D(4) RWD - Sakura D4 RWD