Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impulse Buy
So I was browsing the hobby shop and after years of continuously seeing videos of RC drift cars and thinking it looks pretty cool, I finally bought one on impulse.

I was looking at an Rs4 drift 3 kit, but going on the suggestions of one of the workers to get something belt-driven, I ended up buying a sprint2drift kit, which was cheaper. Did I make a good choice? Or am I going to need a new chassis a lot sooner than I would hope?

Kind of wondering what i'm going to want to upgrade immediately. The charger it came with doesn't have an indicator or anything, so I was hoping there may be something available that does... also it came with a 2000mah battery, which I doubt lasts very long. Should I pick up another battery? Suggestions?

Any parts on it I would want to upgrade sooner rather than later?

Thanks!
Hey from another new guy! Can't help with the questions, but I too would like to know what people here suggest for batteries/chargers. Bought a car second hand off ebay and turns out the battery puffed during transit so I need a new one.
I have a sprint2 and i gotta say i love it but it needs work to drift well. If you plan to just unbox and run its going to be tough.

Sent from my LG-D850 using RC Drift Handbook
Welcome from a fellow newbie
Out of the box the Sprint 2 doesn't drift too well, mostly just power slides and donuts. With some work and upgrades its not bad. There are TONS. Of upgrades for the Sprint 2 and DIY mods that will help you set up your Sprint 2 very well for drift. If/when you want to try countersteer or RWD, you'll definitely want to get a better chassis though. You can CS and RWD a Sprint 2, but honestly you'll probably want something like MST.

BTW, the stock 2000mah and wall charger are crap. Upgrade to a decent 2S LiPo and smart charger.
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
(01-04-2016, 07:53 PM)wareagle84 Wrote:  Out of the box the Sprint 2 doesn't drift too well, mostly just power slides and donuts. With some work and upgrades its not bad. There are TONS. Of upgrades for the Sprint 2 and DIY mods that will help you set up your Sprint 2 very well for drift. If/when you want to try countersteer or RWD, you'll definitely want to get a better chassis though.  You can CS and RWD a Sprint 2, but honestly you'll probably want something like MST.

BTW, the stock 2000mah and wall charger are crap. Upgrade to a decent 2S LiPo and smart charger.

what are some upgrades I should look into?
Also, what are the limitations on this chassis that would make want to look into another one? Should I even bother modding this one, or just go straight into another chassis?

Also, is switching from a drift set up to speed set up just a matter of plastic vs rubber tires?

Do I have to do any mods to use a LiPo battery?

Thanks again
You may need a different esc to run lipo, check your manual to see if it's compatible. Do your research first as they can be dangerous.
(01-04-2016, 08:08 PM)mzr101 Wrote:  
(01-04-2016, 07:53 PM)wareagle84 Wrote:  Out of the box the Sprint 2 doesn't drift too well, mostly just power slides and donuts. With some work and upgrades its not bad. There are TONS. Of upgrades for the Sprint 2 and DIY mods that will help you set up your Sprint 2 very well for drift. If/when you want to try countersteer or RWD, you'll definitely want to get a better chassis though.  You can CS and RWD a Sprint 2, but honestly you'll probably want something like MST.

Also, what are the limitations on this chassis that would make want to look into another one? Should I even bother modding this one, or just go straight into another chassis?

Also, is switching from a drift set up to speed set up just a matter of plastic vs rubber tires?

Thanks again
Definitely lock the rear differential. Upgrade the shocks to adjustable ones (any adjustable 55mm will work) and get drift springs. I also highly recommend at least aluminum steering upgrades such as the Yeah Racing to get rid of the notorious steering slop. If it suits your style, a front one way may help you drift. Ditch the stock dog bones and get CVD's. Those mods in addition to some tuning (camber and alignment mainly) will have you in pretty good shape, any other mods will further increase your tuning and performance capabilities. 
The Sprint 2 is pretty limited when it comes to countersteer options and using it for RWD consistently requires a lot of mods, so using a better suited chassis is highly recommended. For 50/50 drifting this thing is pretty solid with mods though. So it depends on what your ultimate goals are.

Also, I'm 99% sure the stock Sport and Drift (brushed) motor and ESC are capable of handling LiPo batteries, just have to turn on LiPo mode on ESC.

Going from speed to drift could be as simple as switching tires, but if you have the Flux or a powerful brushless motor/esc you'll want to dial back the power output for drifting as the Flux is setup for speed, not low end torque for drift. If you have the Flux electronics, absolutely get Castle Link! Then switching from speed to drift will be as simple as tires change and loading your custom setups into the ESC.

LiPo are kind of scary until you know how to properly handle, store, charge and use them. But if you buy a reputable brand and take care of them, following all safety precautions there nothing to worry about aside from a freak accident.
(01-05-2016, 05:47 PM)wareagle84 Wrote:  
(01-04-2016, 08:08 PM)mzr101 Wrote:  

Thanks again
Definitely lock the rear differential. Upgrade the shocks to adjustable ones (any adjustable 55mm will work) and get drift springs. I also highly recommend at least aluminum steering upgrades such as the Yeah Racing to get rid of the notorious steering slop. If it suits your style, a front one way may help you drift. Ditch the stock dog bones and get CVD's. Those mods in addition to some tuning (camber and alignment mainly) will have you in pretty good shape, any other mods will further increase your tuning and performance capabilities. 
The Sprint 2 is pretty limited when it comes to countersteer options and using it for RWD consistently requires a lot of mods, so using a better suited chassis is highly recommended. For 50/50 drifting this thing is pretty solid with mods though. So it depends on what your ultimate goals are.

Also, I'm 99% sure the stock Sport and Drift (brushed) motor and ESC are capable of handling LiPo batteries, just have to turn on LiPo mode on ESC.

Going from speed to drift could be as simple as switching tires, but if you have the Flux or a powerful brushless motor/esc you'll want to dial back the power output for drifting as the Flux is setup for speed, not low end torque for drift. If you have the Flux electronics, absolutely get Castle Link! Then switching from speed to drift will be as simple as tires change and loading your custom setups into the ESC.

LiPo are kind of scary until you know how to properly handle, store, charge and use them. But if you buy a reputable brand and take care of them, following all safety precautions there nothing to worry about aside from a freak accident.
According to my manual there are three battery modes, and it is factory default to LiPo... which doesn't really make sense to me since it comes with a Nimh battery and there is a nimh mode... but I have been using the nimh battery and haven't changed any modes... does this sound right? And if it is default to Lipo mode all I really need to do is just plug the LiPo in? What kind of accidents happen with the things?

Should I not buy a brushless motor for it?
Not sure why they'd ship it with a nimh battery and have the esc in LiPo mode...but it is HPI and they've been known to do odd things in recent history. If it is in fact in LiPo mode, yeah you can just plug in a LiPo and you're good. I think you can run nimh in LiPo mode, as LiPo mode is basically just a cutoff at a certain voltage to prevent cell damage. DO NOT run a LiPo battery without a cutoff or in LiPo mode, ever.
LiPo's are kind of fragile and can become dangerous if mistreated. The most common types of LiPo accidents involve people using them after obvious signs of damage (puffing) following an accident or after dropping it, overcharging or charging at too high rate or over discharging them (not using a cut off). Over charging and discharging damage the cells and they become chemically unstable and can catch fire or even explode.
Absolutely read some good informative articles on LiPo batteries and how to safely use and store them before just assuming and treating them like a traditional rechargeable battery.