Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internal gear ratio
Hi need some help with understanding what internal ratio does and what it means.
Does this affect the handling of the car or how it responds ?

For example, I can achieve a FDR of 12. If internal ratio is 3 and external ratio 4. Would there be a difference in handling the car with an internal ratio of 2 and external ratio of 6 ?

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk
Team Magic - E4D(4) RWD - Sakura D4 RWD
Bump

It changes wheel speed...if that's any help...you've got a rwd correct?

Sent from my LGAS375 using Tapatalk
Yes I have a rwd. The thing is that I can achieve the same FDR either by changing the internal ratio or external ratio or.both.

Someone told me gearing, size of gears have the momentum to keep the car rolling more. So it does affect the characteristics of the cars handling. I don't really understand that much of it. I don't know if it's crap or not. So I just wanted to find out more.

There is no information except getting your FDR to a certain level which I do know how. Is the only reason to change the gears is to prevent the motor from overheating?

The lower the final drive ratio the more punchie it will feel bc the the motor theoretically works less...but it does use more power...and yes it will keep up the momentum

If you want it to run kooler lower the i.r. and put a smaller pinion on it...but it will take more motor rpms...you might have to get a higher turn motor at some point to be satisfied though

Hmm the odd thing is that when I run FDR 14. My motor heats up bcoz running full capacity. Anything lower and my motor is fine. Warm but good. At FDR 7, I have to lower EPA for drifting. So my motor never peaks. It runs twice as long compared to FDR 14.

Thapts bc you are using less throttle input

(03-27-2017, 09:29 PM)littlemonsta Wrote:  Hi need some help with understanding what internal ratio does and what it means.

For example, I can achieve a FDR of 12. If internal ratio is 3 and external ratio 4. Would there be a difference in handling the car with an internal ratio of 2 and external ratio of 6 ?

3/4=1.33:1 more wheel speed...motor operates at lower rpm to sustain a drift, less expo

2/6=3:1 less wheel speed...motor operates at a higher rpm to sustain a drift, more expo, and possibly turbo(i think this sort of ratio is for cs)
Ok thanks. Think that clears up some things. Basically higher internal ratio I get more acceleration. And lower internal ratio I get more traction.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gear ratio illiterate toefurkeybasher 23 7,986 07-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Last Post: twr861
  Calculating internal gear ratio and FDR for any chassis? huntneef 3 2,334 09-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Last Post: kemchie
  Gear ratio ObeyAziii 1 1,018 05-27-2014, 09:13 PM
Last Post: sloski
  Pinion Gear & Spur Gear Advice Z3L 11 3,089 04-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Last Post: wareagle84