Jim's new Sprint 2 build

7 Replies, 2818 Views

Howdy people...
This is my new project. I'm starting with a HPI Sprint 2 RTR with a 69 Camaro body.
Can't say I'm a fan of the body but it wont be on the car for long.

[Image: full.jpg][Image: full.jpg]

All stock RTR and pretty boring! Without even putting a battery pack through the car I pulled out all of the stock electronics except the servo... Also cut the antenna down so it will fit under the new shell (which is in the post).

[Image: full.jpg]

Next I fitted the a nice new DX3C receiver and BLX80 brushless esc and motor...

And wouldn't you know it??!! Either the motor or esc is faulty. The damn motor just shakes when you give it some throttle. From my research that means a faulty/broken connection somewhere.
So the motor and esc are back out now and I'm replacing them with a Castle Creations Sidewinder.

Should have the new combo early next week.
More updates coming soon.

Cheers,
Jim
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2014, 11:00 AM by Drift Jim.)
So there are a few options for the sidewinder... The LHS has the 4600kv and the 6900kv models... Not sure which to go for yet.
The only mamba max they have is 7700kv and I know that is way overkill.

My new shell should arrive this week. I've gone for a R31 2 door. Thinking about painting it white with some black contrasts here and there.
Have a couple of sets of black wheels and a lighting kit also on the way.

I have some thicker oil for the rear diff and plan to get a one way for the front.
After that I may look at CS options
Good times.

Cheers,
Jim
Get the 4600KV combo.

And instead of buying thicker diff oil just lock the rear diff. It will make it drift so much better. And the mod is free.
When In doubt, Throttle Out!!!
OTA-R31 w/ Flux Capacitor
I agree. Get the 4600kV.
Also, get the Castle Link program for whatever Castle combo you decide. the Castle Link is absolutely necessary to dial in that perfect setup and helps tons with drifting. You won't regret the purchase.
Lock the rear diff, it makes a huge difference. Use whatever method is easiest/cheapest for you, but definitely lock it.
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
Thanks for the tips. I've already put the thicker oil in the rear. I'll use it like that for now but will most likely run a locked diff soon enough.
I bought the HPI one-way front diff last night. Hopefully that gets here soon. But why do they only have them in purple? Not my taste but meh.
Also have some RPM rod/ball ends on the way.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2014, 09:05 PM by Drift Jim.)
HPI designed and began manufacturing the FOW for the S2 back when all the stock aluminum and option hop-ups were made anodized purple. They never changed over to orange when they released an "updated" version of the S2 with orange anodized aluminum parts.
you can de-anodize and repaint or anodize virtually any color you want if the purple bothers you that much.
did you order new shafts to install with the FOW? I believe longer shafts are required with the one way diff, IIRC.
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
I have the mamba max pro with 5700kv brushless motor. Love it. Waitong for my program card to come in so i can tune it. Might be something worth looking into

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Damn no I haven't ordered new shafts... I'll get on that tonight thanks.
The purple doesn't really bother me. I'm more interested in function over form for this car.
Knowing myself I'll probably upgrade the chassis when I start getting carried away. Loving the look of the Yokomo DIB's!