Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just starting out - wanting a kit!
Hi All, 

I'm involved in the car show scene and see the boys using drift cars at the back end of the day. 

Wanting to build a car from top to bottom to enjoy the entire process and learn the car inside out. 
Want to be able to customize all parts for fun etc. 

Ideally, i want a retro VW caddy shell, slammed on some shiny rims to drift with. 

I have no idea what i am looking at and want someone to advise on what i should be looking at. 
Want to buy something pretty sharpish but dont want to spend an absolute fortune. 

So in a nutshell, i want to build a car from kit form doing the nuts n bolts myself to create a drift car. 
What do i need to buy and where do i get it ????

Help & advise welcome!!
any advice welcome :) .....
I highly doubt you'll find a VW Caddy body, but the rest is do-able. I'm assuming by "sharp" you mean lots of aluminum and carbon fiber parts, not the standard plastic?
What is your budget? You can get drift chassis kits from around $100 on eBay to around $1000+. All depends on what brand you go with, and whether you you get a "name brand" kit with all aluminum and carbon fiber upgrades, or you get a more basic plastic kit and upgrade to aluminum and carbon fiber later.
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
(11-18-2015, 03:14 PM)wareagle84 Wrote:  I highly doubt you'll find a VW Caddy body, but the rest is do-able.  I'm assuming by "sharp" you mean lots of aluminum and carbon fiber parts, not the standard plastic?
What is your budget?  You can get drift chassis kits from around $100 on eBay to around $1000+.  All depends on what brand you go with, and whether you you get a "name brand" kit with all aluminum and carbon fiber upgrades, or you get a more basic plastic kit and upgrade to aluminum and carbon fiber later.

Sorry, by 'Sharpish' i meant quick. 
But yes, would prefer aluminum and carbon fibre. 

Looking to spend about $250 all in. 
The Caddy shell, i can get this moulded myself locally, so no big dramas. 
Maybe a VW MK 2 GTI. 

As i say, $250 all in, what do you think ?
$250 youre looking at either a Sakura D3 or D3 clone off eBay, Tamiya TT01/02 or a mid level MST ms-01d with a little bit of aluminum and carbon fiber, but even then you're still going to need to buy electronics (unless you already have them) and aluminum and carbon fiber upgrades or packages if that's what you're looking for.
Unless you're in the used market or willing to sacrifice the aluminum and carbon fiber bling, $250 all in isn't really feasible. I think a Sakura clone would be the closest you'd get for that.
Maybe someone else has some other ideas though.
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
You could always start with a RTR to see if you really want to get in to the drift side of the hobby. that's what i did and i'm doing a few upgrades to mine now. i'm kinda liking it so maybe soon i'll bee looking for a RWD chassis. the RTR i'm starting with is a lightning epx. was less than 250. it comes 50/50 but i did the counter steer on mine witch is a little harder. it's mostly plastic but does have a few metal parts and has upgrades for most aluminium you would want. i think MST has good ones but they are a little bit more than 250. if you don't get in to it and want to sell it there won't be as much of a loss. just my opinion.
Stay in the drift
I saw this and thought it was a decent starter but I believe you would need your remote control transmitter/receiver. Worth a look.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RC-1-10-Missio...ING_ACTIVE
Then there's this but you'll need all electronics and it could get costly.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/RC-The-Devil-1-10-...ING_ACTIVE
Buying an rtr isn't a bad idea. It's like a basic starter kit and you can always replace bodies and wheels.
Good luck. It can be addicting