Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Magnetic bumpers.
Hey guys not to sure if this is the right section for this but I'm making magnetic bumper mounts but not to sure how to go about it i know i need to make tabs with extra plastic and obviously use mags but like this guy shown looks like he might have cut them? http://csjunkies.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2590 but yea if anyone has any links of people showing tips or maybe even a different way cheers.
Well the first thing you need to do is decide if your going to build a complete underbumper like that orange car, if your doing that some companies do sell them ready made. But you can make them prettty easily on your own with some time and some sheet styrene. (if you want to go full custom PM me ill walk you through it)

But if you just purely want to make a removable bumper with magnets you can do it VERY easily, again id use styrene because its cheap, easy to work with, and comes in all different shapes and sizes.

Does your current body have the bumpers cut off of it already?
Most just use extra lexan to make mounts for the magnets, I'd like to take the styrene route myself though.
FS-01D
MS-01D
VDF-II
FR-D v3.0
Active FR Rwd - Forsale
(01-06-2014, 09:53 AM)C.Raynes Wrote:  Well the first thing you need to do is decide if your going to build a complete underbumper like that orange car, if your doing that some companies do sell them ready made. But you can make them prettty easily on your own with some time and some sheet styrene. (if you want to go full custom PM me ill walk you through it)

But if you just purely want to make a removable bumper with magnets you can do it VERY easily, again id use styrene because its cheap, easy to work with, and comes in all different shapes and sizes.

Does your current body have the bumpers cut off of it already?

yes its the pandora 22B and for right now it will not have underbody, I simply want to know how he got the magnets which i assume are the purple tabs on his car so be not that noticeable, and use styrene instead of the extra lexan? thanks a lot sorry I'm brand new but want to do it right.
On a totally different note, that s14 is crazy !!!!

You may resume to the topic at hand
And I would like to know how you would go about custom underbody/core support etc etc. PM'd you ranyes
Sakura D3 owner.
Addiction Design Panther conversion in progress
The most difficult thing about magnet mount is placing them right so the strength is proper and they do not move.
I buy my magnet from a guy in Largo, FL. they are 10x5x1mm and strong as heck. I pay like $7 for 100 of them. You can look him up on Ebay.
His stuff is awesome.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/numismaticgaleri...1439.l2654
Now as far as extra tabs, it's not necessary as you can use the edge of the magnet instead of the face. This way, it's a lot easier to break away.
(01-08-2014, 06:08 AM)Tiger.T Wrote:  The most difficult thing about magnet mount is placing them right so the strength is proper and they do not move.
I buy my magnet from a guy in Largo, FL. they are 10x5x1mm and strong as heck. I pay like $7 for 100 of them. You can look him up on Ebay.
His stuff is awesome.
Now as far as extra tabs, it's not necessary as you can use the edge of the magnet instead of the face. This way, it's a lot easier to break away.

looks like i found the 8mm x 1mm ones which look just as fine i couldnt find the 10mm oh well i gues these should be fine lol

im just curious cause usually magnets want to sit face to face how does it not creep up, as you say you only have to use the edge of the magnet lol im such a noob i say someone should do a write up / video
(01-09-2014, 11:16 AM)seffer Wrote:  
(01-08-2014, 06:08 AM)Tiger.T Wrote:  The most difficult thing about magnet mount is placing them right so the strength is proper and they do not move.
His stuff is awesome.

looks like i found the 8mm x 1mm ones which look just as fine i couldnt find the 10mm oh well i gues these should be fine lol

im just curious cause usually magnets want to sit face to face how does it not creep up, as you say you only have to use the edge of the magnet lol im such a noob i say someone should do a write up / video

That's a great idea. I will try to get a small tutorial and post it on our blog.
You can use the magnet with edge to edge connection or face to face.
IF you do face to face it will be a lot harder to pull that front bumper off.
(01-09-2014, 01:22 PM)Tiger.T Wrote:  
(01-09-2014, 11:16 AM)seffer Wrote:  
His stuff is awesome.

That's a great idea. I will try to get a small tutorial and post it on our blog.
You can use the magnet with edge to edge connection or face to face.
IF you do face to face it will be a lot harder to pull that front bumper off.

haha! awesome man yea im gonna see what i can figure out for the rear bumper i plan on doing face to face but for the front i need to figure out how to get the magnet to sit edge to edge, I'm befuddled on how that is supposed to work without the magnet wanting to naturally sit face to face, i will probably slide the body with the bumper off so I'm just trying to make it look clean :) thanks again lol rc community it legit.
the reason I said to mount it behind a bracket was so it cut the strength of the magnet down a bit. If you stick those two magnets together face to face "raw" you will probably rip them off whatever its mounted to.

Im going to make a DIY soon, just waiting on my new body to come in.