Massive oversteer

19 Replies, 7415 Views

(06-04-2014, 11:03 PM)lougc8 Wrote: Your setup looks relatively stock then. You'll still have problems even with a gyro. Use softest springs for rear with light damper fluid like 20-10wt. The steering setup plays the biggest role in rwd. Most all rwd setup run Y arms and low scrub radius style uprights. Steering angles are close to 80 degrees or more with some slight positive ackerman. Soft rear tires will also help. Getting those basic things out of the way will help your rwd setup, but ultimately to be consistent and competitive the gyro is required. The gyro is the closest thing to having a force steering feedback similar to 1/1 car.

you think there is a way to rig the steering on my car to get that or am i just not able to with this chassis
What about this[Image: u6ehy5un.jpg]before [Image: dyvaguny.jpg][Image: yvyda6yv.jpg][Image: e8etazy7.jpg] after. Let me know if you have any ideas or advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to be blunt. There is simply not enough steering angle in your setup for a RWD. And a gyro is definitely required for RWD in my opinion.

You would need the following
- Y arm which allow shock to move inwards, so that give you more clearance for large steering angle
- Longer steering arm
- Steering hubs may need to redrill depending on how your steering geometry setup

You could DIY and mod your own arms or else the cheapest alternative is to adapt the plastic version of the MST HT. Hope it helps!
(06-06-2014, 11:26 PM)eyhpoon Wrote: Sorry to be blunt. There is simply not enough steering angle in your setup for a RWD. And a gyro is definitely required for RWD in my opinion.

You would need the following
- Y arm which allow shock to move inwards, so that give you more clearance for large steering angle
- Longer steering arm
- Steering hubs may need to redrill depending on how your steering geometry setup

You could DIY and mod your own arms or else the cheapest alternative is to adapt the plastic version of the MST HT. Hope it helps!

No not a problem I need the help. Just wondering though say i got a new chassis, run CS for a little untill I upgrade steering angle and susp. before going rwd, what would a good chassis choice be. I really REALLY prefer rtr cause i am just getting into the hobby but love drift and cars irl.
Lose stock steering rack, might be an idea to try OTA R31's stock rack
and mount it in new holes in chassis so its tips are much further forward.

Use the forward/inner holes in knuckle arms for most leverage.

Other than shocks not much you can easily upgrade suspensionwise
that will any huge difference. That design started life as a nitro car
so everything is built chunkier than an electric-only chassis.
[Image: MRCsig.gif]
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2014, 02:51 AM by tamiya.)
(06-08-2014, 02:49 AM)tamiya Wrote: Lose stock steering rack, might be an idea to try OTA R31's stock rack
and mount it in new holes in chassis so its tips are much further forward.

Use the forward/inner holes in knuckle arms for most leverage.

Other than shocks not much you can easily upgrade suspension wise
that will any huge difference. That design started life as a nitro car
so everything is built chunkier than an electric-only chassis.

thanks so much! I just filed the one part off the arm too and it got me a little more movement.

still struggling with where to add weight if anyone could tag a good thread. I have a lot on the back wheels like 18 grams on each wheel in bag and another film canister full of pennies zip tied under the rear strut tower still getting the over steer.

With straight rubber tires on back i can slip them but need to go full gas which is scary and it still under streer at that point. also tried t drift in rear abs in front which produced understeer im sorta lost now.

I think the akerman is off too cause the difference in angle is so dramatic now

[Image: yga4a8uj.jpg][Image: je9asyda.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2014, 03:46 AM by Faduzer.)
i can make it easy for you MST just came out with a new RWD car based on there (FXX_D VIP) its the (FXX-d-s). Its priced at about $165.00 for the rolling chassis with also comes with a the MST gyro and a set of there wheels and tires. I just order one and i think its the best way to start. there are videos of it drifting on youtube in stock form and doing well. looking forward to getting mine.

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2014, 03:13 PM by MtNnitro.)
(06-08-2014, 03:08 PM)MtNnitro Wrote: i can make it easy for you MST just came out with a new RWD car based on there (FXX_D VIP) its the (FXX-d-s). Its priced at about $165.00 for the rolling chassis with also comes with a the MST gyro and a set of there wheels and tires. I just order one and i think its the best way to start. there are videos of it drifting on youtube in stock form and doing well. looking forward to getting mine.

I mean that's awesome and all but I don't know enough about electronics to build my own all I have is that redcat. Idk anything about controllers receiver transmitters servos or esc. Do I want a motor that is sensored or sensorless and esc? Could you recommend a could controller that comes with the transmitter and receiver and all that? Like I honestly need a recommendation on where to start with the whole set up

Is the ds out yet even and is it a front motor?

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2014, 05:56 PM by Faduzer.)
You can start with what you got in the Redcat build from there. If you want to start all new. Go to online stores you can get motor and ESC combos for 150. Or less. Go brush less with sensor much smoother better control. 9.5 to 11.5 turn. Savox servo sc1251 about 65.00. As for a radio tx and RX. You want a computer like Spektrum 3s of a futaba there are others but that's my two cent. I use Spectrum.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2014, 11:26 PM by MtNnitro.)
Thanks so much man I actually got this redcat running ok now it's pretty slow but it'll hold me over until the next chassis

[Image: u7yte2eb.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2014, 06:19 PM by Faduzer.)