Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Motor adjustable timing question
Hi there, I'm sporting a Hobby King Turnigy 8.5t motor with manual adjustable timing. Right now it's set in the middle and has plenty, if not too much power for drifting. I was wondering if I should turn it down. Also my noobie question of the day but if I turn it down does it harm the motor? I've read that turning it up can harm the motor but I feel like turning it down shouldn't? Just want to make sure and thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(01-26-2016, 02:20 AM)Orpheus Wrote:  Hi there, I'm sporting a Hobby King Turnigy 8.5t motor with manual adjustable timing. Right now it's set in the middle and has plenty, if not too much power for drifting. I was wondering if I should turn it down. Also my noobie question of the day but if I turn it down does it harm the motor? I've read that turning it up can harm the motor but I feel like turning it down shouldn't? Just want to make sure and thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey there Orpheus, 
you can turn down the timing on the motor no problem. 
The key for proper timing is to monitor the heat of the motor. As long as your motor is under 160F you're in the clear. 
If you do a little bit of research on neodium magnets you will find out that around 160F is the optimal temp for most brushless motors. Higher and you start to permanently damage the neodium magnet of the rotor and then your rotor loses its magnetism. 
Also one thing to be aware of is if you have an ESC that can run the motor in reverse for the car to move forward (some chassis require it like the RMX with top mount and such) your timing will be backward so 0 will be your max timing and your max timing will be 0. 
Lastly, you should check your ESC timing (or boost/turbo) to make sure you don't have added software timing in there. Make sure to remove that before you remove the can timing.
>> For 3D printed Weight Shift products and more checkout www.oversliders.net <<