MST SWB MS-01D VIP RWD Chassis

18 Replies, 10338 Views

This MS-01D chassis was our introduction to the MST brand so therefore has some sentimental value.  With the evolution of the RWD movement, we decided to mod this MS-01D to see if it was capable of RWD.  Videos can now be seen on our YOUTUBE, so check them out when you get a chance.  It was quite the successful conversion.

To address is the steering angle of the chassis, RWD demands high steering angles so this is a must. 
Step 1: Remove Front differential, belt, and dogbones
Step 2: Upgrade to IFS suspension system, which provides better wheel clearance[Image: MST-Short-Wheel-Base-RWD-MS-01D-VIP-RC-D...sion-4.jpg]

Step 3: Replace the MST steering bridge with a turnbuckle, this allows for adjustment to allow increased steering angle but introduces Ackerman Angle.[Image: MST-Short-Wheel-Base-RWD-MS-01D-VIP-RC-D...sion-8.jpg]

Be aware of how you adjust the new steering bridge, too much adjustment may cause interference with the spur gear (size dependent). Depending on how the setup, you may also need to  adjust your servo throw to compensate for the new angle produced by the steering link.
[Image: MST-Short-Wheel-Base-RWD-MS-01D-VIP-RC-D...sion-2.jpg]

Step 4:  Replace the steering knuckles with something newer than the conventional MS-01D arms.  It will help with steering geometry and overall feel when driving.
[Image: MST-Short-Wheel-Base-RWD-MS-01D-VIP-RC-D...sion-3.jpg]

Step 4A (Optional and not required!):  More of an FYI than anything, this chassis was purchased custom in order to make it a Short Wheel-base (SWB) chassis.  The reason for this was to purpose build a chassis to support a Tamiya GT2 Taisan Racing Body.  This should not effect the RWD change, so proceed if you are changing your MS to RWD.
[Image: MST-Short-Wheel-Base-RWD-MS-01D-VIP-RC-D...sion-7.jpg]

Step 4B (Optional and not required):  Bling out the rear damper stay with the new MST adjustable ones.  Not really necessary but does add more available damper positions and ease of adjustments.
[Image: MST-Short-Wheel-Base-RWD-MS-01D-VIP-RC-D...sion-5.jpg]

Step 4C (Optional and not required):  We decided to attach the 1st generation Oxygen rear battery mount.  It shifts the weight further to the rear, the idea is to balance off the weight from the motor and provide some additional grip.
[Image: MST-Short-Wheel-Base-RWD-MS-01D-VIP-RC-D...sion-6.jpg]

Step 5:  Slap on an MST Gyro!
Step 6:  Profit!

This is a very awesome timely thread. I am about to pull the trigger on a FXX D S but have bene toying with just converting my MS-01d pro.

What are your thoughts on how this setup would compare to the cheaper FXX D S?
Not sure about the Type S version of the FXX but based on the VIP, some slight changes.

For this MS setup, it tends to be rear end heavy due to the battery mount, which tends to make it understeer a bit more. The MS is also less "whippy" than the FXX, so the transitions tend to be a little bit slower but holds better on long drifts.

The FXX weight distribution is quite even although still more of a weight bias to the front, this makes the chassis respond to transition very quickly and tbh I still have some troubles carrying it on long drifts.... so its still a WIP, heh
[Image: dmsig02.jpg]
Great writeup and info on this platform. Thanks for sharing. I want to try the ifs front dampers tup on my Rwd fs01d project. But the hole spacing is different. Any advice. I'll upload pics later. Thanks Bauss
Team Ghost Drift
[Image: TGD+official+WHITE+side+decal+Osaka-Sans...+edit1.png]
MST FS-01D cs@2.0
Yokomo DRB cs@1.8
Eagle  R31 RWD
Thanks Wilke! Been waiting for this. Noticed you are running some toe on the rear [ could be the camera angle ]. Wouldn't the idea be to remove all toe so the wheels don't fight one another in a slide?
Yokomo DP - RWD | Instagram: Hobby_Monster
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2016, 07:31 PM by idroppedthegrenade.)
ok so where can i get the IFS setup for MS01d or is that also custom?
Team Ghost Drift
[Image: TGD+official+WHITE+side+decal+Osaka-Sans...+edit1.png]
MST FS-01D cs@2.0
Yokomo DRB cs@1.8
Eagle  R31 RWD
Same question. 
Messaged MST and they said it will be available in the near future but wouldn't give a part number so i have my doubts
(01-20-2016, 05:39 AM)djjiz Wrote: Same question. 
Messaged MST and they said it will be available in the near future but wouldn't give a part number so i have my doubts

Wow that's surprising we got ours back in early December. I'm guessing they have been busy working on the CMX. I can get you the part numbers if you want.

Sent from the official DriftMission app on Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ission.com
Please do! It's the last piece of my aluminum puzzle and don't want to buy the regular upper bulkhead only to be replaced by the updated part
Here's their reply

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)