my rwd yokomo DPM

4 Replies, 2691 Views

hey guys thought i would share my latest rwd build since i have not seen too many rwd dpm's at all so why not share, 
so i got the dpm second hand from another local drifter, was running 1.8cs and came with a speed passion revention pro esc, speed passion 10.5R, a sanwa ER5-971 servo and had type C front conversion A arms etc. i have never been a fan of shaft driven drifters but being a yokomo, had shiny bits and the price i gave it a go. first drive i was glad i got it couldnt beleive how well balanced it was and super smooth so within a few days i knew what had to be done... RWD   :devil:  in the past  i have built myself a rwd sakura d3, a rwd flying fish ( yes dont ask me why but yes) and a rwd DIB for a mate of mine and all done well so thought i could have this done fairly quik. so front drive shaft, cvds, one way got removed and large portion of the front diff housing cut out from there the steering wipers got bearings instead of bushes that helped remove alot of play and then got extended about 10-12mm, knuckles got the chop and ball joints moved in 10mm or so. this resulted in the biggest ackerman problem iv run into but after alot of messing about and alot if help from the chap i got it from who had built a rwd Yokomo DP i got it under control. then i went on to moving the motor position from from right to the front center above the upper deck where i had to cut out some of the spur cover and use spacers to mount the motor this took a lot longer then what i thought as these spacers also have to set the gear mesh so this almost didnt happen out of frustration but i was not going to give up and finaly after cutting and sanding several differant pieces of my parts chassis i got the mesh perfect. then went onto making and shaping some narrow and rounded tire front wheels to help clear the shocks. all this being done i was able to drift OK and some what consistent at the same speed as when it was cs but the intense concentration it takes for me to do this without gyro started to take the fun out of it so i purchased a cheap sky rc gyro from my lhs and instantly regretted never using one on my other builds its just so much more enjoyable to not have to be in a trance like state to hold a drift lol. now my only problem is if i run to much steering input my lead wheel gets locked in once the steering goes past 70-75deg and doesnt return from there when turning right and when turning left the lead wheel hits the steering wiper where the servo arm mounts once at 70ish deg so have to run the steering input very low to avoid this and is limiting me to 65deg if anyone knows how to fix this it would be awsome. next things i plan to do are get some mst or kazama knuckles, Y arms and set of springs and oils to fine tune. i only have one pic of the chassis atm but will post more in next few days. cheers southslide

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

While my funds are low I have to make do with the shell I got with the dpm. Wasnt a fan of it so I attacked it with paint pens scissors nail polish jet lighter just the usual stuff and ended up with "the missile"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 07-30-2015, 02:33 PM by southslide.)
Cars dirty as in pics think its due to be pulled down for a scrub
Max lock I can get with the current wiper setup

Anyone know what I could do here? I cannot move the ball in at all would become wayyy to twitchy 

My hacked up wiper extensions and knuckles that I cant wait to replace with sumthing with more adjustability! 

Any ideas or faults or suggestions towards making this a better in any way  appreciated!
All the filth is from part of my practice track gets a bit wet when it rains and the chalk I used to mark it out has gotten EVERYWHERE. Altho I didnt notice this until I removed the body so rebuild very soon I think. Couple more pics

And just afew more pics of my practice track from a few weeks ago is abit different now and the dpm how it was when I first got it and also another layout I did play with befor it ended up the way it is now