Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW 2 RC DRIFTING
Hi everyone , Im Phil , new here and hoping to get some advice on a few subjects . I'm impressed by the amount of information found on driftmission and the maturity of the thread users ; i I hope someone can help me out .

To begin let me get right into what I need help with :

I'm simply looking for an RTR Drifter with serious capabilities in terms of Drifting , low maintenance is a MUST , price is not an issue on this one , we only live once .  

I'm truly finding it very difficult to build a consensus on what the best RTR options are seeing as how most RC manufacturers have so many different products and we the consumers have so many different opinions . Ive been doing my own research for about a year now ( RC purchase delayed due to our new born and travel ) , and I'm ready to purchase my first RC Drifter ; I've got my mind set on 1 of 2 RTR models , here they are and I kindly request any advice from those of you have experience in helping out those who are new to RC drifting .

1) MST FXX-D RTR RWD NEW REVISION ( Nissan GTR Blue )

PRICE : 400-500 USD

POSITIVE : Its got everything i want , RTR , Great Specs in my NOOB opinion , Price seems great .

NEGATIVE : Not sure if i'll be able to control this 2wd , control may be an issue and I've no clue how much maintenance is needed .

2)  REDCAT LIGHTNING EPX PRO - ( BRUSHLESS - LIPO3500 - 269 USD VERSION )

PRICE : 269 USD

POSITIVE : Where should i begin ? The price seems too good to be true for the reputation it has, let alone its specs . Brushless , RTR . Im simply not sold because the price seems a little low . Am i missing something ? Perhaps i just read a few biased reviews and the EPX PRO is truly NOT as hype as its hyped up to be ?

NEGATIVE : Price seems too low , somethings up ? How could a drift car that costs 269 get higher ratings then rc touring and drift cars that cost twice as much ? Im perplexed by this , its disturbing , i must have missed something or the reviews I've read are simply biased and the EPX PRO is not as outstanding as some are making it out to be . 

CONCLUSION :

I'm confused and I would like some advice , has anyone driven both these cars , which has less maintenance ? Are there any details that i should know about as to the two mentioned RC cars ? Anyone know which preforms better indoor ? Anyone know which one performs better outdoors ? Does anyone have any better recommendations for an RTR RC drift car for beginners ? Which is more durable ? Which one Drifts better ? If driving both indoors and outdoors which one would you purchase ?  

I thank you all for your time , please feel free to advise me on another RC car if you feel its a more suitable RTR and has very low maintenance . 

P.S 

Not sure if i will be using an indoor track ( 30 min drive away ) or flat concrete outdoors in the my neighbourhood .
Hi Phil, welcome to DM. When looking at the specs for both cars I'd rather buy a beginner's kit with your budget.

For rwd drift cars, I only find the maintenance to be; availability of parts in local area. Higher maintenance for outdoor and lower maintenance indoors. Generally MST parts are more expensive and I'm some what of a Scrooge. Generally the more you crash the more maintenance. When starting out, that's bound to happen, however drifting rwd is usually slow and crash speed are not high. Most damage will be the body and front arms.

Performance wise, 21t motors won't be suitable outdoors in my opinion. Indoors I use a 10.5t motor. All cars rtr and kits will need some work. You mentioned serious drifting, maybe a rtr rwd isn't for you ?

I would also stay away from rough asphalt and rough concrete in the beginning.

Consider a car kit. It isn't as difficult nor as daunting as one would assume.

If asked to choose from the 2 choices, I would go for MST. Reason for choice: supported by other upgrade options ie usukani, overdose etc. MST has slightly better electronics.

Kit vs rtr

Pros - kit
Better equipment compared to rtr. Better performance than rtr. Choice of better electronics. Performance vs price, kits are a better value. you also learn to assemble the car so it's easier to fix it.

Cons - kit
May seem difficult to get your feet wet.
Requires assembly( takes about 5 - 10 hours)
Instruction manuals usually not detailed enough.

This is my suggestion.
1)http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-sakura-dri...=1100_1318
2) Sanwa mts controller(mid range) if you can afford better go for it
3) battery packs and charger
4) body of your choice, yokomo tamiya,hpi etc
5) tiny kpi knuckles (solves binding problems in this kit)
6)wheels (later, according to surface)

Cheers and good luck.

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk
Team Magic - E4D(4) RWD - Sakura D4 RWD
Hey Monsta ,

Thanks for the reply , i knew i'd find the right people here !

I completely understood and agree with everything you rationally put forward , but on my end i didn't clear a few things up .

I originally wanted a Sakura or Yokomo , but everything i found was not RTR and sounded complicated to maintain , assemble and I was under the impression that Sakura and Kokomo are more for the type of people that would like spend time assembling and tuning the cars ; which personally , I'm not too fond of that idea . I simply want to hit an indoor track with a sweet RTR , that virtually needs as little maintenance and parts to be replaced as possible . This is a key factor in my choice , i won't be doing any work to my car , i don't have the time or patience for such things , if something goes wrong i plan on taking it to a an RC mechanic i found where i reside , lol , thats how uninterested i am in replacing parts , ordering parts and assembling things at this present moment . I simply want to drift as close as possible to the cars you see in this clip ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiYecg-gBuY ) ; after all , it was this clip which instantly inspired me to return to the world of remote controlled cars ( which i left along with my Grasshopper about 25 years ago i think) , and more specifically enter the world of RC drifting . I'm not naive , i understand the cars in this clip are upgraded to the max and the drivers are well experienced , but I'm simply wanting to get as close as i can to this right out of the box RTR , you feel me ?

I get it , no cars come out of the box this way and the drifting skills come with practice , but if i had to start somewhere , knowing what you know now about me , the non existent time i have to place orders and make repairs , what would you suggest i purchase , RTR , stay with me here Monsta ; I understand you want me to things the right way and build my way up from the bottom , but i simply can't at this time , i will in the future , its a mission i won't back down from , but for now i just want to drift ASAP , no assembly , no upgrades , no orders , no repairs .

Let me also add that if i wasn't purchasing a RTR my choice would have probably been assembling a Sakura or Yokomo , i feel you on that .

Knowing what you know now , would you still give the same advice ? My budget can go up to 600 - 700 USD , or much higher if needed , but i see no need for it at this time , i think you'd agree with me on that and be the first to advise that to any noob or person returning to the sport. Any other RTR you would suggest ? Let me add that I'm not willing to purchase anything used at this time , i have plans for that step in the future if all goes well , i might purchase 1 or 2 used classics to catch up on everything i missed out on over the years , such as the CS generation , HPI models and others .

Monsta , if you could do me one last favour , if you see anything that would come close to matching up with these cars out of the box RTR , let me know , this right here is artwork . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiYecg-gBuY . How much do you think it costs to bring a car up to this level ?

Last Question :

Stock Sakura D4 RWD VS Stock Yokomo Y-D2 RWD , which one is better for drifting indoors and why ? Does the MST-FXX-D revised edition or REDCAT Lightning we discuss earlier have anything on the YOKOMO and the Sakura . According to the vibes i caught from you , your ranking would be Sakura being the best , followed by Kokomo , MST , REDCAT ? Im assuming you have no HPI suggestions ?

Thank you so much for your time Monsta , sorry if I'm not focusing on one specific need , I'm trying to absorb and usurp as much information out of you as i can , if i could id interrogate you with no water or drinks until i made my purchase !!!

Seriously though , thanks for your time .
(03-14-2017, 12:06 AM)madeinjapandad Wrote:  Hey Monsta ,

Thanks for the reply , i knew i'd find the right people here !

I completely understood and agree with everything you rationally put forward , but on my end i didn't clear a few things up .

I originally wanted a Sakura or Yokomo , but everything i found was not RTR and sounded complicated to maintain , assemble and I was under the impression that Sakura and Kokomo are more for the type of people that would like spend time assembling and tuning the cars ; which personally , I'm not too fond of that idea . I simply want to hit an indoor track with a sweet RTR , that virtually needs as little maintenance and parts to be replaced as possible . This is a key factor in my choice , i won't be doing any work to my car , i don't have the time or patience for such things , if something goes wrong i plan on taking it to a an RC mechanic i found where i reside , lol , thats how uninterested i am in replacing parts , ordering parts and assembling things at this present moment . I simply want to drift as close as possible to the cars you see in this clip ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiYecg-gBuY ) ; after all , it was this clip which instantly inspired me to return to the world of remote controlled cars ( which i left along with my Grasshopper about 25 years ago i think) , and more specifically enter the world of RC drifting . I'm not naive , i understand the cars in this clip are upgraded to the max and the drivers are well experienced , but I'm simply wanting to get as close as i can to this right out of the box RTR , you feel me ?

I get it , no cars come out of the box this way and the drifting skills come with practice , but if i had to start somewhere , knowing what you know now about me , the non existent time i have to place orders and make repairs , what would you suggest i purchase , RTR , stay with me here Monsta ; I understand you want me to things the right way and build my way up from the bottom , but i simply can't at this time , i will in the future , its a mission i won't back down from , but for now i just want to drift ASAP , no assembly , no upgrades , no orders , no repairs .

Let me also add that if i wasn't purchasing a RTR my choice would have probably been assembling a Sakura or Yokomo , i feel you on that .

Knowing what you know now , would you still give the same advice ? My budget can go up to 600 - 700 USD , or much higher if needed , but i see no need for it at this time , i think you'd agree with me on that and be the first to advise that to any noob or person returning to the sport. Any other RTR you would suggest ? Let me add that I'm not willing to purchase anything used at this time , i have plans for that step in the future if all goes well , i might purchase 1 or 2 used classics to catch up on everything i missed out on over the years , such as the CS generation , HPI models and others .

Monsta , if you could do me one last favour , if you see anything that would come close to matching up with these cars out of the box RTR , let me know , this right here is artwork . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiYecg-gBuY . How much do you think it costs to bring a car up to this level ?

Last Question :

Stock Sakura D4 RWD VS Stock Yokomo Y-D2 RWD , which one is better for drifting indoors and why ? Does the MST-FXX-D revised edition or REDCAT Lightning we discuss earlier have anything on the YOKOMO and the Sakura . According to the vibes i caught from you , your ranking would be Sakura being the best , followed by Kokomo , MST , REDCAT ? Im assuming you have no HPI suggestions ?

Thank you so much for your time Monsta , sorry if I'm not focusing on one specific need , I'm trying to absorb and usurp as much information out of you as i can , if i could id interrogate you with no water or drinks until i made my purchase !!!

Seriously though , thanks for your time .

Hmm why don't you pay someone to assemble the parts for you ? I know some guys who pay the track owner to build up the car for them. Basically you get the best of both worlds. The guy at my local track sets up the car too for the guys whom don't want to fix anything. I'm lazy in some aspects too and I just get the guy to do the soldering work for me.

Maintenance wise, both rtr and kits are the same. They need to be cleaned and oiled. Shocks need to be maintained over time. Once the cars are setup correctly you don't really need to setup again much. On occasion you just need to make sure the car is tip top condition prior running.

If you are only drifting solo, there is no comparison. It doesn't matter how good your car gets or vise versa. Once you get on the track you will be spending more money. That I can guarantee.

For drifting, ask yourself this. If you want it to look like a real drift car or not ? If your answer is no then get a awd. This should clear your paths of decision on rwd or awd. My advise is don't be rash on the purchase and head to the track.ask around, normally they are quite helpful. You can also try their cars if you ask.

Bringing a car to a good level of drift depends on the electronics of the car. The base is always the chassis. Yokomo MST sakura, overdose all have decent chassis. These are all reputable chassis. I'm sure there are more of them around but I might not know the other brands in other countries. As too how much people spend really is up to individual. Motor, esc, servo accuracy, suspension, transmitter speed and response, gearing all contribute to this factor. It cannot be covered in one post. Currently in my country there is no support for hpi. It's either tamiya, grk, sakura, usukani, overdose, MST or yokomo. Plus the cheap china brands which I can't comment. Personally I would still go the with the kit. I would say the cheapest you would spend in total would be about 900usd in total. Fully hopped up could go up to 1500usd or more easily depending on brand.

As to which chassis is better sakura or yokomo I'm going to sit on the fence on this one.
I'm not that experienced to fully judge which is better. I have driven both chassis with and without mods. Generally I will lean towards the yokomo out of the box. After mods I would lean towards the sakura chassis. It's a different feel for both cars. I only recommended the sakura because it was cheap and good for a beginner. You won't be next to the pros but you will be pretty close.
I don't think you will be any where close with an rtr. That's my 2 cents. Then you will get frustrated that your car isn't performing.

Video cars are CS

Thank You so much ...

I like the way you think and the way you made your case , to be honest you got me thinking about CS now , looks and sounds real fun .

I have much to consider...

I can't wait !
It's very interested!

*Goldenslot*