Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Drifter
I got back into RC about a year ago after a 20+ year hiatus. Started out with a crawler, then added some Slashes for some backyard racing (bashing). During the summer and fall added some Rock Racers and desert buggies to the mix. Late fall I started collecting a 1/25 scale to run on an indoor track that hasn't happened yet as we decided to move. Youtube gets me into more trouble, now I have caught the drifting bug.

Yesterday I picked up a used Hpi Sprint 2 Flux that was more or less setup for drifting. Has a couple of sets of drift tires for different types of surfaces. Has a locked rear diff, the front diff was a one way. Also came with th original open diff. I have my throttle travel set to about 50%, don't think I need all the power of the brushless motor. Last night I put the open diff in the front to try drifting that way.

At this point I am not sure which way I like it. It does handle different with the 2 diffs. I was wondering which is the best way to learn, using the open diff or the one way?

The guy also has about 90g of weight on the front, mounted on the front bumper. Not sure if that is really needed.

[Image: 20170123_112023-M.jpg]
Gramps
---------------------------------------------------
MST RMX 2.0S 
MST FXX-D
Exceed RC MadPulse awd

Everyone will have their preferences, so for now I say spend a few days using the open diff then switch it out for the front one way and vise-versa. See which is more comfortable for you, but if I recall correctly most people that run awd like the front one way and locked rear (don't quote me on that lol). You should be able to find some awd set ups in this forum and likely some set up videos on youtube.

Something to look into for a future purchase is the Yeah Racing RWD conversion for the sprint 2. This came out not too long ago and kind of brought life back to the sprint 2 platform (or rather gave life lol). There wasn't much aftermarket support for this chassis, but the Yeah Racing conversion follows the rwd trend that has picked up quickly in the last few years. Definitely not a requirement to enjoy your new drift car, but it opens up the door for more tuning options and completely different driving style.

Whatever you end up choosing, just make sure you're having fun. Start investing more once you feel that this is something you'll stick with! Easy to get caught up in all the fancy hopups that are out there for rc drifting lol.

Also, if you have a facebook account, try looking for some rc drift groups on there. Lots of info on this forum, but it's kind of inactive compared to those groups I'm talking about. Good supplement to the forum!
Thanks for the tips Limeaway510. I now have it where I like the way it handles so I'm going to concentrate on learning how to drift. When I get the drifting part down then I can experiment to see what different setup do. To make it RWD couldn't you just take the front dog bones out without buying a conversion kit?

I'm on facebook and I have searched for groups there but didn't find any that looked interesting. Maybe I was searching wrong. Do you have any suggestions? I know a lot of people have migrated to FB but I'm old school and still prefer the forums. To me they are laid out better and make it easier to find information you are looking for.
Gramps
MST RMX 2.0S 
MST FXX-D
Exceed RC MadPulse awd

Technically yes, you could just take out the front dogbones. Problem is that the factory set up won't give you the amount of steering radius that you need to drive a rwd chassis correctly. You also need a gyro to help with countersteering. It's nearly impossible to drift a rwd chassis without one. I wouldn't advise converting to rwd this way.

Look up "STRICKLY SIDEWAYZ CLUB" on FB. Very active group. A better resource might be on youtube. Look up Afro's RC Club and find his Sprint 2 videos. He has a whole series of how to set up one up for drifting.
Can someone olease help me i got an mst ms-01d with etronix phaser esc an motoris that any good
I actually have the Sprint 2 for sale. I'm now drifting with a Yokomo YD-2 and I recently aquired a MST FXX-d that I really like. On concrete it drifts better than the YD-2. Also got a D4 in the trade, its a slider so I haven't tried it. It's for sale too. After driving the FXX-D I now want a MST RMX 2.0S.

I haven't fired the Sprint 2 up since I got the YD-2 a few months ago.
Gramps
MST RMX 2.0S 
MST FXX-D
Exceed RC MadPulse awd