newb to drifting TT02R

5 Replies, 1919 Views

hello all I decided to get into drifting and at the price point of the tt02 i decided to go that route. plus i always like tinkering with stuff and have seen quite a few things done to these "budget" cars. My plan with the car was to get back into racing and also use it on the side to help me learn drifting a bit. So i'll eventually have two setups for the car when its all done. A drift body and set of wheels and tires to play with and then my VTA body and wheels and tires to go race with. First things i did to the kit to help were replaces the front control arm pivots with the metal ones. I've read that seems to help with steering and durability. Then i made up some rear camber links to replace the stock non adjustable ones. I plan on doing the same to the front but the parts i used in the back arn't readily available so i'm working on an alternative for making that work.  Not really sure what i'm going to do for diff setup yet as i want to race and drift. for drifting i want a front oneway and a locked rear but for racing i don't feel the locked rear would work to well. might just have to experiment. Are there any other front oneways available for this car other than the tamiya one? Motor wise im running a 17.5 to make it legal for racing but is that enough to make this drift well? Or am i going to want to bump it to say a 13.5 i'm open to any help i can get at the moment as i know absolutely nothing about setting up for drifting yet. If i do manage to get better at drifting i'd like to get a drift specific chassis in the future but for now she's going to be doing double duty Wink heres a few quick pics i snagged while building it.
[Image: 36015330965_7950432d3f_c.jpg]DSC_0219 by Don Steuck, on Flickr
[Image: 35705788420_b78f20a42c_c.jpg]Untitled by Don Steuck, on Flickr
[Image: 35256479154_f40f119d6b_c.jpg]Untitled by Don Steuck, on Flickr
[Image: 35705788500_e327538d07_c.jpg]Untitled by Don Steuck, on Flickr
Well it's limited what you can achieve in a TT02 + you are using it for racing.

My advise would be to keep it as it is, get some drift tires with wheels, slap on a drifting body with lights and learn to drift the 50/50 way - Just beware of drifting, it will maybe get you addicted to it, as it did too me 4 years ago.

Now for the oneway in front, in a 50/50 the wheels spins the same so a oneway wouldn't benefit your drifting there.. The rear solid axle would provide loss of traction needed in drifting so that is a good thing to get. For Racing, you wanna go with a Balldiff that can make each wheel turn at different speeds. The Balldiff is better to adjust over time and the more stiff diff is suited to tracks with high grip and others with low, it's better to have a loose diff.

Good luck onwards
MST XXX-D VIP - CS 2.0 - Main

MST FMX-D PRO - RWD - Main

MST RMX-S 2.0 - RWD - Secondary
Thanks for the tips! My understanding of the one way on these was that if you let off or use brake it helps by only locking the rear tires initiating drift. But I think your right I'm going to leave it alone and get a body and tires and just learn to drift. Then maybe a new car [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(07-24-2017, 05:42 PM)lilws6 Wrote: Thanks for the tips! My understanding of the one way on these was that if you let off or use brake it helps by only locking the rear tires initiating drift. But I think your right I'm going to leave it alone and get a body and tires and just learn to drift. Then maybe a new car [emoji6]

I went with mst Fxx -d rw drive very reasonable then with a hobbywing motor And esc I'm learning myself just waiting on battery's to come

(07-24-2017, 11:38 PM)rik.ramsey.janse Wrote: I went with mst Fxx -d rw drive very reasonable then with a hobbywing motor And esc I'm learning myself just waiting on battery's to come

The fxx-d is a nice car, not alot of adjustment but drifts very well right out of the box. I have one and I love it.
Gramps
---------------------------------------------------
MST RMX 2.0S 
MST FXX-D
Exceed RC MadPulse awd

Cool I bought 3 two re and one fw I'm going to convert one in all wheel drive any subjection