Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie in Chicagloand
Hey everyone, I'm Chris from the northwest suburbs of Chicago. I played around with RC cars a little in high school and college, mainly just bashing around the desert (originally from AZ) with a cheap Traxxas Rustler. I've been wanting to get into RC drifting for awhile now, but have always decided to spend the money on 1:1 scale car hobbies instead (autox, hpde, and rallyx in the winter).

After a bit of research, probably less than I should have done haha, I order the following yesterday:

-Sakura D4 AWD
-Yeah Racing Hackmoto V2 13T
-Yeah Racing Hackgear Servo
-Yeah Racing Tritronic
-ABC Hobby R30 Skyline body
-FlySky TX FS-GT3B
-Charger and a Gens ace 5000mAh 50c 2S LiPo

I went with the CS D4 simply because of reading and watching a good number of reviews that said it'd be easier to learn and less likely to get discouraged, although I read plenty of opinions that also said to just jump into RWD. My main goal, for the time being, is simply to have some fun with a moderately expensive toy. I figured the D4 would be a good choice since it was in my price range and can be converted to RWD fairly easily.

This is gonna be my first time actually building a kit, my old Rustler was bought as an RTR, and I'm pretty excited for that. Looking forward to joining the community, and learning/sharing a lot more on here.

Here's the progress on the car so far.

[Image: rztm6p8wdlrgijaoy6qn.jpg]

Ran into a bit of a snag last night with the upper deck and front shock mount coming into contact with each other, so I'm picking up some sand paper today to take a bit off the front of the upper deck. Hoping I can finish up the build tonight.
Updated with actual picture of the RC car. Everything is in now, and I'm hoping to have the car built and body painted by the weekend.
Welcome to DM Forum.
Nice choice in the D4. Countless amount of hop-up parts out there for them and standard parts are easy and cheap to come by. Looking good, what color you planning on the R30 body?
Welcome!!
I'm pretty new also to the forum but from what I have read it the people will help you 100%. You car looks really nice. That a great starter car for sure. We would love to see the body.
Thanks, guys! Yeah, the cheaper hop up/replacement parts is one reason I opted for the D4 over a YD-2 or MS-01D.

I'm gonna go with a classic red on top of black two tone for the body. I'll post pics of it in my build thread once it's complete.