Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie Suggestion Thread
It seems like there's 10 or so threads by new members every week and they all ask the same questions and almost always get the same answers.
Example: "what chassis and electronics to get?"
Always the response: "MST or Yokomo chassis etc. etc...."
can we just make a sticky thread that has all the questions already answered to save people time and members frustration? Or does one of these already exist and I (as well as all new members) missed it?
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
Good suggestion!
Enroute JXRWD 

Mad Machine IG / Mad Machine FB
(04-24-2014, 10:15 AM)wareagle84 Wrote:  It seems like there's 10 or so threads by new members every week and they all ask the same questions and almost always get the same answers.
Example: "what chassis and electronics to get?"
Always the response: "MST or Yokomo chassis etc. etc...."
can we just make a sticky thread that has all the questions already answered to save people time and members frustration? Or does one of these already exist and I (as well as all new members) missed it?

^this.
[Image: bc276304-7f08-4025-b335-bd41c864c078_zps5043df43.jpg]
Very good idea. Getting people to actually read it is a whole other thing tho.

Feel free to suggest/start a thread to stick and itll be done :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Keep Drifting Fun
[Image: 9121590828_f56a93fe31_o.jpg]
Was going to suggest the same thing!!
Could almost make a wiki for this.
Enroute JXRWD 

This would make the forum even better. It sometimes is more difficult to follow the new stuff when 1 out of 3 new threads is about "what chassis or electronics to choose".

As far as folks reading before posting, just make a sticky of rules and suggested conduct of forum contribution for new members.... or a "read this before you post" sticky thread.
I remember it working pretty well on other forums. Of course peeps will still post the same question over and over. But maybe mods can delete the thread if it is repetitive and has already been answered. Maybe a section of threads for new members and beginners to the hobby. They could surf that section for the answers to their question before they can post in the help section.

Another suggestion is an update to the chassis guide on dm. Many new chassis have come out since it was written. It may also cut down on unnecessary threads if the guide is right there front and center. The forum is a great place to be a part of already thanks to really cool mods and members. But with anything worth doing, there is always room for improvement.

I don't know what will work best but those are some ideas. What do folks think about a "read here before posting section? Also maybe warn members that their thread will be deleted if the purpose is not to share useful and NEW or relevant information that has not already been asked 5 times already.
Team Ghost Drift
[Image: TGD+official+WHITE+side+decal+Osaka-Sans...+edit1.png]
MST FS-01D cs@2.0
Yokomo DRB cs@1.8
Eagle  R31 RWD
Warning members only pisses them off and makes them leave lol.

As I stated before, lots of good ideas. If you guys want to start compiling info and make a new thread or suggest one for sticky im all ears :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Keep Drifting Fun
[Image: 9121590828_f56a93fe31_o.jpg]
I will work on updating the guide. I like the idea of a wiki so I will look into that as an option.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
[Image: advertisesmall.png]
(04-25-2014, 12:35 PM)wilkewhaq Wrote:  I will work on updating the guide. I like the idea of a wiki so I will look into that as an option.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Here's some free alternatives to different wiki CMS: http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/design/14-...-websites/

We use "DokuWiki" at work as an internal knowledge base, and it works very well. It is highly customizable, so it should be possible to adjust the layout to fit DM's colors.

-K
Enroute JXRWD