Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie Suggestion Thread
(04-25-2014, 01:38 PM)foku5 Wrote:  
(04-25-2014, 12:35 PM)wilkewhaq Wrote:  I will work on updating the guide. I like the idea of a wiki so I will look into that as an option.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Here's some free alternatives to different wiki CMS: http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/design/14-...-websites/

We use "DokuWiki" at work as an internal knowledge base, and it works very well. It is highly customizable as well, so it should be possible to adjust the layout to fit DM's colors.

-K

Fantastic thank you sir :)

[Image: advertisesmall.png]
(04-25-2014, 01:39 PM)wilkewhaq Wrote:  Fantastic thank you sir :)

No problem! :-)
Enroute JXRWD 

Mad Machine IG / Mad Machine FB
I've made 4 or 5 of these through the last 12 years or so, for different forums.
You can make them as comprehensible as you want, and still get the same questions.
As Robb says, the problem is actually getting people to read it.

If I were to suggest something, something that hasn't been done before. Then it would be a "Configurator" of some sort.
An interactive, guided page. Where you select your starting point (Beginner, Intermediate or Expert), and depending on those choices, you'll be given specific options and more or less guidance depending on level (an Intermediate or Expert level guy, wouldn't need an explanation on what electronics do what, and what's needed to complete a car... But a complete noob would).

As an example, after selecting Beginner, you'd be presented with a choice of RTR or trying to assemble yourself.
Then getting a list of chassis' with descriptions of their strengths and weaknesses, recommended optional parts (along with their part #) etc.
Moving on from Chassis selection, would be electronics (if RTR wasn't selected), listing stuff like Brushless combos, then servos and finishing with radio gear.
Once you've gone through the guide, you'd be presented with a printable summary (or exportable to .pdf) of your selections, complete with product numbers, names and approximate cost.

If it was made to use XML, it would be easily expandable once running.
[Image: 1.jpg]
I was thinking something like a terms of agreement page that you have to at least look at to click the accept or decline button.
Once a new member signs up, they are automatically taken to this page that's headed something like "before you begin posting..." or something like that.
not to be written as a warning, but just a "start here" type thing, if that makes sense, or is possible?
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
Thats a good idea wareagle. the issues still lies in this. Think about how many softwares do this (itunes cough cough) everyone just scrolls to the bottom and checks the read box anyway...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Keep Drifting Fun
[Image: 9121590828_f56a93fe31_o.jpg]
thanks, and I know, I do the same thing...who really reads that? lol
You'll never be able to force people to read something. I'm just trying to think of a way to make them at least acknowledge it and know its there, rather than just creating a thread and making them "look" for it, I guess. Maybe if it's put right in front of them from the very beginning as something important and valuable, at least some of them will go "hey, I came here to ask those exact questions", read it and then if they have more specific questions they can post and get better answers.
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  suggestion kengallardo 0 819 11-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Last Post: kengallardo