Olastuens AE86 HPI Sprint 2 - Upgrades and modifications

25 Replies, 8359 Views

Well, 'bout time to do my first RC-car modifications. Had this Sprint 2 Flux for a couple of years now, and it's still stock. So far..

Took it out for a last run last week, with it's original rubber wheels, and gave it a descent trip around the area, including some gravel roads, before taking it inside and starting the modifications. It looks like sh*t right now Big Grin

[Image: DSC_8033.jpg]

[Image: DSC_8031.jpg]

[Image: DSC_8029.jpg]

[Image: DSC_8027.jpg]

[Image: DSC_8024.jpg]

As you can see, it's dirty, belts are worn out, and it definitely needs som TLC. I have some plans for the car, including doing a Stage-D Trueno AE86 body-kit. I will do some custom modifications on the body, with a bumperless rear, demi-works engine bay, paint, wheels and so on, and it's my first time doing it, so going all in is necessary! Wink

As for the chassis, I'm waiting for several items to arrive in the mailbox, including a front one-way diff, Yeah Racing damper set, Exotek Racing SPX PRO Carbon Fiber Chassis and Yeah Racing Aluminum Essential Conversion Kit. I will also lock the rear diff, and are also considering converting to a CS setup. Lots of work to do, hopefully it will also lots of fun Big Grin

I'm a big fan of suggestions and tips on what I could/should do, and some nice tips on how to do things, having in mind it's my first body modification Big Grin

I will update this post as the modifications keeps on, and new items arrive in the mailbox, so be patient with me Smile
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2014, 06:51 AM by Fredrik Olastuen.)
I would keep any drifter away from dirt. specially belt ones
[Image: 222_zpsccdcf383.jpg]

Here For the love of RC Drifting
(09-09-2014, 04:50 PM)dj nekkon Wrote: I would keep any drifter away from dirt. specially belt ones

Yeah, it's mostly been driven on concrete and asphalt on sunny days, but gave it a shot, having in mind that I was going to take it all apart anyway Big Grin
Nothing much happened yet, still waiting for some parts, and are still looking for some parts as well, but started taking everything apart today Smile

[Image: DSC_2486.jpg]

[Image: DSC_2504.jpg]

[Image: DSC_2515.jpg]

Now it's time to sort out what I need later in the project Big Grin
Finally some progress in this project! Startet mounting the Yeah Racing aluminium upgrades today, must out and get new belts tomorrow before I can complete the assembly of the drivetrain and the suspension. Hopefully my local store has everything I need Smile

[Image: DSC_6011.jpg]

[Image: DSC_6012.jpg]

[Image: DSC_6013.jpg]
Wow looks impressive!

How is the steering angle with the Aluminium C-Hubs? Because grinding the C-Hubs was always the first step of achieving more steering angle in Sprints. Would be a bit of a pity to buy nice Alu option parts just to grind them off.

By the way, excellent photos! They look like professional product photos. Does HPI employ you as their photographer?
[Image: RCDC_sig.png]
(10-08-2014, 08:43 PM)VectorX Wrote: Wow looks impressive!

How is the steering angle with the Aluminium C-Hubs? Because grinding the C-Hubs was always the first step of achieving more steering angle in Sprints. Would be a bit of a pity to buy nice Alu option parts just to grind them off.

By the way, excellent photos! They look like professional product photos. Does HPI employ you as their photographer?

Thanks. Haven't tried out the steering angle yet, except holding them up to each other and compared (without mouting it to the chassis) and it looks like you can have a little more steering angle on it, the space for the axle is some mm wider in the aluminimum hub, so it should be space for more angle.

Thanks for the comment about the photos, it's my second hobby, so it's nice to be able to combine them. Maybe I should give HPI a call and give them an offer? Wink
FWIW, when I put my YR aluminum knuckles/hubs in the front, steering angle was the same as stock. maaaaybe got an extra couple degrees, but nothing noticeable or that would replace a wide angle conversion.
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
(10-09-2014, 10:23 AM)wareagle84 Wrote: FWIW, when I put my YR aluminum knuckles/hubs in the front, steering angle was the same as stock.  maaaaybe got an extra couple degrees, but nothing noticeable or that would replace a wide angle conversion.

Ok, the same as I thought, if there is any difference, it's just a tiny increase. Maybe I will do some upgrade in the future, want to try it with oneway front and locked rear diff first Big Grin
Well, things are always in progress, the rear end is almost done. Gave up finding the graphite rear shock tower, so installed the original plastic shit for now. The rear diff is locked, new Yeah Racing shocks and springs are mounted, and AfroRC's CS conversion kit is installed, all on the new Exotek carbon deck.

[Image: DSC_8172.jpg]

[Image: DSC_8177.jpg]

[Image: DSC_8169.jpg]

I've installed some softer springs in the rear, anyeone installed this damper set before and have any recommendations on angle, spring tension and so on? I have to screw the cylinder nut almost to the bottom to make sure the spring is secured and does not move around.