RWD differential choices

39 Replies, 17295 Views

@JimmyChoi, I had a Tamiya Xv01 that used a oil filled diff. I would suggest using a gasket of some sort to hold the oil in. Also, It used 900wt oil front an back. So I think your 700wt idea is a good start if you like it loose.

I personally like my diffs more on the tighter side. I like the initial angle that I get when I punch the throttle with a tighter diff. But I think the action out of a ball diff is what controls the initial kick out. For tuning reasons, it's easier to tune a ball diff than a oil filled diff. But I'd be interested in your results. keep us posted.
Team Ghost Drift
[Image: TGD+official+WHITE+side+decal+Osaka-Sans...+edit1.png]
MST FXX-D VIP|MST FXX-D S|MST XXX-D S HT
(03-20-2015, 03:25 PM)aznpulse Wrote: @JimmyChoi, I had a Tamiya Xv01 that used a oil filled diff.  I would suggest using a gasket of some sort to hold the oil in.  Also, It used 900wt oil front an back. So I think your 700wt idea is a good start if you like it loose.  

I personally like my diffs more on the tighter side.  I like the initial angle that I get when I punch the throttle with a tighter diff.  But I think the action out of a ball diff is what controls the initial kick out.  For tuning reasons, it's easier to tune a ball diff than a oil filled diff.  But I'd be interested in your results. keep us posted.

Thanks for your info man!
And zx666r, I already have a few different weigh oil sitting around waiting ha ha.
I have 700, 1200 and 3000, so I be busy as soon as my diff arrived!
Will keep you guys updated thanks!
Ok, 700wt oil is in, going for a test on the coming Sat.:^^:
The Yokomo gear diff looks very nice, hope it's  not  going  to  leak!

Ok, I took the car out for a spin on Sat. It feels very good with the gear diff in the rear.
With the 700wt. oil the car was very stable and easy to drive, only a few spin out for the whole day, so it was a big improvement for me. Also was able to turn the gyro down to 37% gain only (it was at 45 - 50).
After the day of testing, I took the diff out to check  for leakage, and there was non, big smile.
Think I will stick with the 700wt oil for a little longer to improve my skills, before going for  thicker oil.
Sounds good to hear. That diff looks like it should hold up just fine.
Team Ghost Drift
Will post more updates when I find something new! :=):
i have recently been playing with a gear diff in my rwd and it is awesome. i have had to reset the rear suspension as with the gear diff a lot of mechanical grip is produced. i started with 2k oil and am up to 10k and think i will go back to 5k. especially on polished concrete the throttle is a lot more consistent thru the rev range. i chucked the spool back in to do a comparison and the gear diff wins hands down. on hi traction it might be a bit of a struggle due to the mechanical grip produced but on ashpelt and poly concrete its defiantly a winner in my book
I can imagine you would need to be in the truggy diff oil range to slow the diff action. Glad it worked out for you. What chassis are you using it on?
Team Ghost Drift
(06-09-2015, 02:29 PM)aznpulse Wrote: I can imagine you would need to be in the truggy diff oil range to slow the diff action. Glad it worked out for you. What chassis are you using it on?

yip i hav been using 8th scale diff oils left over from my attempted rc racing days lol. chassis is a belt drive mid mount chassis.
Speedline Springs & Tires all daaaaaaay
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2015, 09:23 PM by Heisenberg.)
A buddy of mine and me are running the EA TT02-FRD kit..

I've got a spool unit as it came stock and i've have good grip on either polished concrete and tarmac surfaces, but bear in mind i haven't tried other than that (though have been trying my buddy's frd, but his is set up differently so i cant have the same feel.)

My buddy has a spool and a gear diff for his and for his likeness he chooses the gear diff for the concrete but it gives too much traction on tarmac/carpet so there is the spool better - though he atm. are trying to do a setup for concrete and tarmac/carpet with the gear diff.