Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RWD THEORIES
Theoretically speaking , 

How would any of these two ( http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/112862 / Sprint 2 Flux BMW M3 GTS ) - ( http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/106168 Sprint 2 Flux BMW M3 GT2 ) HPI cars compare on an indoor track to the RWD Sakura or YOKOMO RWD class if the HPI cars ( STOCK ) , were converted to RWD with no other major modifications with an exception to drift tires ?

Alternatively , how would the HPI cars handle with only a drift tire conversion and with NO RWD conversion against the Sakura or Kokomo on a track ? 

This question is a theoretical one , i am new to the world of RC drifting and my knowledge on RC drifting cars , while expanding greatly daily , is still weak . Forgive me if my question seems stupid .

The reason for my question is to understand the basics of why HPI cars can't compete with products like RWD SAKURA and RWD YOKOMO , is it simply because of the RWD factor ? 

Why couldn't i simply slap on some drift tires and convert the mentioned cars to RWD and outshine the other rides ?

Does it not work this way , am i missing something ?

Hope someone can help in educating me on the subject , thank you .

All advice and comments are welcome , I'm here to learn .

Thank You .
Again, you are asking the same questions over and over again, if you are willing to spend more money, get the yd2 (plus if you want to spend $300), if you want to spend less get the D4. I assume you want RWD and not Awd like those hpi's. You can't compare the hpi's with the others because they are awd and yd2/Sakura is Rwd.
Sorry Millsicorn but i think you're missing something , are you aware that the HPI Sprint Flux 2 has a RWD conversion kit ?

http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/spt2s0...-3997.html

I've yet to receive to definitive answer to my question , once I do , i won't keep simplifying the question and asking it , thanks for your time .

P.S

My question isn't about affordability , the funds are available to purchase anything I see fit , I'm trying to learn how the cars would compare , once converted to RWD fitted with amazing drift tires and placed on a track with a D4 or YD-2 !

I truly hope someone who has experience with the Sprint 2 Flux BMW M3 GT2 and GTS versions can compare them with the D4 or YD-2 .

Regardless , thanks for your time and effort in attempting to guide me , however you didn't answer a single question i asked , lol . Thanks .
(03-17-2017, 10:59 AM)madeinjapandad Wrote:  Theoretically speaking ,

How would any of these two ( http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/112862 / Sprint 2 Flux BMW M3 GTS ) - ( http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/106168 Sprint 2 Flux BMW M3 GT2 ) HPI cars compare on an indoor track to the RWD Sakura or YOKOMO RWD class if the HPI cars ( STOCK ) , were converted to RWD with no other major modifications with an exception to drift tires ?

Alternatively , how would the HPI cars handle with only a drift tire conversion and with NO RWD conversion against the Sakura or Kokomo on a track ?

This question is a theoretical one , i am new to the world of RC drifting and my knowledge on RC drifting cars , while expanding greatly daily , is still weak . Forgive me if my question seems stupid .

Is it simply because of the RWD factor ?

Why couldn't i simply slap on some drift tires and convert the mentioned cars to RWD and outshine the other rides ?

Thank You .

The HPI is basic a car for touring/street driving. It is most compared to a Tamiya TT-01 but it doesn't get much better because they are not build for drift, that said, any car can drift with drift tyres - But it's the way they drift that differs from other manufacturers. The HPI cars can handle 50/50 (All drive drift) since they don't have much lock on their front wheels and to try and converting them to a rwd is just money and time down the drain.

A HPI with drift tyres and 50/50 style would be the same as a Sakura or Yokomo on the track, but it get's more complicated, but first, let's talk about the 3 styles there is in motorsport and drift:

1. 50/50 Drift or also known as Rally drift - It's basic all wheel drive and powersliding, you know Ken Block still does it, since he has done it since he started Rallying.
2. Counter steering drift - Underdrive in the front, making the rear spin more and automaticly creates oversteer and to control it = Countersteer, hence the name CS Style)
3. Rear wheel drive - The car is pure focused to mimic RWD, by that exeption that it is helped on by a gyro since in real life you have senses of moving, sliding and feeling. In R/C you only got your eyes and no feedback from the controller so the car does something, you see it, you process it, you send it to your fingers and the radio transmitt it to the car in about 0.50 second and that's too slow. So a gyro helps with the initial steering, the reaction and then you focus more on the throttle because that's the next most important thing in RWD drifting.

When R/C cars are driving, the motor placement is important, to explain i'll use a scale from 0-100/0-100 for weight and handle performance:

A HPI Sprint 2 is rear biased, 35/65 since the motor is back it will rotate the rear first, high grip.
A Yokomo DP is center biased, 50/50 since the motor is center it creates neutral balance and equal grip.
A Yokomo DIB is front biased, 60/40 sice the motor is front it will rotate the front first, less grip.
A MST XXX-D is similar to a Yokomo DP.
A Sakura D4 is similar to the Sprint 2, MST RMX-D S/Pro
A Sakura D3 is front biased, 80/20 since the motor is in front of the axle it will rotate the front very fast, less grip.

To fully understand the pattern, the position of the motor plays a big part in drifting and styles - myself is loving my MST XXX-D, but i previously have owned a Tamiya TT-01D (50/50), MST XXX-D Pro (50/50), Yokomo DP/DIP (50/50-60/40), MST RMX-D VIP (35/65) and now finally my XXX-D VIP (50/50).

The biggest thing you should know it that R/C cars that is not developed like a drift car won't drift RWD properly unless you invest a lot of money into custom parts. A MST, Yokomo, Sakura that is built for drifting RWD would be better because they are designed for it, and out of the box are capable of drifting good, though the Sakura doesn't offer much since it's more budget than quality i would recommend a Yokomo YD-2 or a MST RMX-S (soon to arrive) or a FMX.

I hope this help you into the big drift R/C community world :)
MST XXX-D VIP - CS 1.80 - Main

MST RMX-D VIP - RWD - Main

Yokomo YD-2 RWD
Thanks for your time . This post was extremely informative and extremely beneficial .

Thank You .
Basically what I said on another of your threads.....