Tyre Scuffing / Roughing Up

8 Replies, 2398 Views

Hi Drifterz, my local track is carpet and most RWD drivers scuff their front tyres to help with steering traction (the rear have to be left untouched)... they way we usually do it is by throwing some old tyres on the rear and running the front around on some unpolished concrete to to give them a "dimpled" texture... this does help with steering but eventually needs to be re-done. 

Does anyone have any different ways or tips for scuffing their tyres?

Cheers!
OVERDOSE Vacula Black Edition RWD
TRF TA05 VDFI RWD
Tamiya TT01-E BOK SPEC CS1.76
The roughest sand paper you can find, like 50 or 60 grit. Wrap it around the tire and give it a few turns.
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
(02-05-2016, 01:07 AM)wareagle84 Wrote: The roughest sand paper you can find, like 50 or 60 grit. Wrap it around the tire and give it a few turns.

Thanks man... yea this was the initial thought but I was hoping to find a way to maybe stamp or cut a consistent tread or similar into the tire. 

Cheers!
TRF TA05 VDFI RWD
You could go super rough, 20 grit, and slowly give it a turn or two with a firm grip. It won't look pretty like molded HPI t-drifts, but is cheap and effective at grooving drift tires.
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
Honestly I started using HPI T Drift Type A's. Still a harder compound but has what seems like a light rubber overlay on the plastic. Still get some slide but also enough traction to make it go where you want. Scuffing is useful for say MST mediums but eventually like you said it gets polished out. Check out the Type A's, will need to take any KPI out of your setup though.
Yokomo DP - RWD | Instagram: Hobby_Monster
Thanks man, I'll have a look. Cheers!
TRF TA05 VDFI RWD
I know one of our guys is running rubber tires for the "ultimate" realism - to make the tires less prone to slide as a CS car..

I'm using the standard tyre MST CS-R hard (silver dot) all round, make the car more precictable but also is harder to drive since it got even traction..

Robekensugi's videoes is showing some kind of rounded off but still has tread so the front tires grips.. perhaps some T-drift carefully done would make a difference.. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD-Qk80d8RU

I'm not driving currently so another must make the tryout's Smile
MST XXX-D VIP - CS 2.0 - Main

MST FMX-D PRO - RWD - Main

MST RMX-S 2.0 - RWD - Secondary
As mentioned, HPI T-Drifts would be an option you should try.
I've had good luck with putting my wheels on a dremel using a cut off wheel bit and a few washers. I use this setup with some fine grit to polish my wheels but you could try using a knife to give it some grooves if you have a steady hand. I don't own a rwd yet so take this with a grain of salt.

Sent from my XT1528 using DriftMission