Selecting My First RWD Chassis

4 Replies, 2369 Views

Hey folks,

I'm looking to get back into drifting and would like to consider a RWD platform this time.  Currently, the cars I'm considering are:
  • Sakura D4 RWD
  • MST FXX-D S
  • Eagle Racing R31
Each of these cars has a very different motor/battery configuration and I'm hoping to avoid making a poor decision so I'm looking for suggestions.  First off, the surface I'll be drifting on is likely to be relatively smooth concrete or asphalt, but may include a smooth garage floor that's rather slick.  

What features should I look for that will make learning to drift easier with a RWD car?  Is one particular drivetrain layout better in some situations?  Case in point, both the Eagle and MST have the motor toward the front, but the D4 is a rear-biased mid-motor setup.  I'm surprised to see such a difference in layout!  What are the pros/cons of either?

If any of these cars is easier to drive for a RWD newcomer, that would be very helpful info, too.  I'm not new to drifting and certainly not new to the hobby (started racing in the late '80s!), but I *am* new to RWD drifting!  :B):

Any helpful info/experiences to share would be much appreciated!

Thanks, guys!
Tommy
I also noticed that Eagle Racing has the TT02, which appears to have the same layout as the MST. More money and more aluminum, but is it worth it? I also noticed MST has the IFS version for just $10 more. Again, maybe worthwhile for the increased steering throw?
(08-08-2015, 03:54 PM)Tommy R Wrote: Hey folks,

I'm looking to get back into drifting and would like to consider a RWD platform this time.  Currently, the cars I'm considering are:
  • Sakura D4 RWD
  • MST FXX-D S
  • Eagle Racing R31
Each of these cars has a very different motor/battery configuration and I'm hoping to avoid making a poor decision so I'm looking for suggestions.  First off, the surface I'll be drifting on is likely to be relatively smooth concrete or asphalt, but may include a smooth garage floor that's rather slick.  

What features should I look for that will make learning to drift easier with a RWD car?  Is one particular drivetrain layout better in some situations?  Case in point, both the Eagle and MST have the motor toward the front, but the D4 is a rear-biased mid-motor setup.  I'm surprised to see such a difference in layout!  What are the pros/cons of either?

If any of these cars is easier to drive for a RWD newcomer, that would be very helpful info, too.  I'm not new to drifting and certainly not new to the hobby (started racing in the late '80s!), but I *am* new to RWD drifting!  :B):

Any helpful info/experiences to share would be much appreciated!

Thanks, guys!
Tommy

I tinks the mst fxx i best if you troll a litle more money in chasi i buy it to my self and i m oki with it Smile

Изпратено от моят SM-N9005 използвайки RC Drift Handbook
Another thing I noticed is that the MST would need some upgrades immediately.  From what I can tell these mostly include adjustable turnbuckles ($20), aluminum steering arms ($40), ball diff ($10), and some look to install the carbon fiber top plates ($40). 

I would definitely do the turnbuckles and ball diff, but are the other items really needed?  If so, it makes the Eagle Racing stuff look much better.  From what I can tell, the TT02 FSD (for example) doesn't need any hop ups.  Is this true?

Thanks!
Tommy
Well, after lots of research (best I could do, anyway) I decided on an Eagle Racing TT02-FRD. Hope to get it in a few days... Now to acquire some electronics!