Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring selection Sprint 2
I'm a little confused, I'm reading conflicting information as to how to select the proper spring selection. I have a Hpi Sprint 2, all agree that the stock springs are way to stiff for drifting. Some sources say that the front should be soft and others say the back should be soft. One of the sources said both depending on which youtube video you watched.

My Sprint 2 is 50/50 with the rear diff locked, front diff open but has Lucas Red & Tacky grease in it. Stock shocks no idea as to oil weight ( was bought used). Currently running T-Drifts #4406 tires.
Gramps
---------------------------------------------------
Yokomo YD-2
Hpi Sprint 2 Flux 50/50 - Locked rear/Open front
Exceed RC MadPulse

The best setup for me personally with my Sprint 2 is softer in the front than rear, with and without FOW diff. and a locked rear diff. I use Yeah Racing adjustable dampers with MST DK springs and Team Associated 300 or 350 shock oil.
One thing is for sure, the stock Sprint 2 springs are way too stiff and the shocks themselves are horrible.
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - full carbon fiber/aluminum upgrades 50/50
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - RWD project
HPI RS4 Sport 3  - carbon fiber/aluminum shelf queen
Wareagle is right the shocks on the Sprint 2 are junk. I knew the springs were stiff & that's putting it mildly. While I was changing the springs I decided to also open the shocks and check them out. They either had very little oil or no oil at all. Cleaned them out and refilled with 30w as that was the lightest weight I had. I'll be ordering some of the Yeah Racing shocks for sure. Had some springs so I tried the soft ones in the front but they didn't have enough tension to rebound the suspension so I put the hard ones from the pack I had on the front and the super hard on the rear. Might mention I also put new rod ends (RPM) on the camber rods, which are still a little stiff so when they loosen up I may be able to go down on the springs some.

Put 0 degrees camber in the rear and 2 degrees in the front.

Took it out afterwards for a little checkout drive and it handled like a totally new car. I had more steering and it aappeared that I could do better circles with less power and could switch directions without losing the rearend.
Gramps
Yokomo YD-2
Exceed RC MadPulse

Thanks.
The Yeah Racing shocks finally arrived the other day. Finally got a chance tonight to build them. I used the 3 hole V pistons with the V facing down. I was not impressed with the springs that came with the shocks at all, they are much to short for the shocks. To get any preload you have to crank the adjusting collar all the way own to when you can't see any threads. I had some 29mm springs that work much better. I'm thinking 30mm or 31mm would be even better.

I put the softest spring I had on the front with 30w oil. For the rear I choose the hard springs with 40w oil. Took it out for a test drive and it handled much different than earlier today when I had the stock shocks with super hard in the rear and hard in the front, 30w oil all the way around.

I'll try it tomorrow when the asphalt is a little warmer, my car handles different at night when it's cool than during the day when the sun in on the driveway.

With the new shock setup it's much easier to get into a drift and control it but it has to much oversteer, just a touch to much throttle and it will come around on you. If it has the same dendencies tomorrow I will go down one spring weight in the rear and see what happens.
Gramps
Yokomo YD-2
Exceed RC MadPulse

I will go down one spring weight in the rear and see what happens.
royal1688

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  drift spring selection drifter_0089 31 6,154 05-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Last Post: robb41488