Tamiya TRF Tools

2 Replies, 3026 Views

Recently (kinda), OverDose released their tool set. 
It's f*cking expensive, and that's a trend for recent OverDose items. 
Previously, OverDose has been f*cking expensive and really pushed the envelope on how much you can charge for some aluminium, but they've stepped up their game. As a long-term fan of their work, it seems outrageous now the prices they are charging. over $100 for a set of springs?! $200+ for 5 tools?! So unfortuanately I couldn't bring myself to buy OD's tools. 

but to each their own, and I have plenty of OD bling to show for that already. 

Whilst I was in Japan last year/beginning of this year, I discovered TRF hex wrenches. I bought a 1.5mm and a 2.0mm to replace my ageing Align tools and the collection took off. 

So far, I've gotten my hands on as much TRF stuff as I could find.

Overall, their wrenches are fantastically simple and elegant. The blue anodising they use is also beautiful. Besides, my favourite chassis - my TA06MS - is also very much in Tamiya blue.
Tips are titanium nitride treated (I think) and very durable. Everything is very precisely cut. Fit and finish is superb.
They aren't cheap, however. At around 2000 yen apiece ($20-$25 AUD), there are significantly cheaper options out there. Whilst in Japan, even Hudy drivers were around 300-400yen cheaper per driver. Still makes OverDose's look very expensive though.
You can buy replacement tips for around 700-800yen. I did this with my 2.0mm driver as the original was the ball-hex version and I was after a normal hex.

Tools: 
1.5 hex driver
2.0 hex driver

2.5 hex driver
5.5 nut driver
7.0 nut driver
+ Philips Medium driver
+ Phillips Large driver
- Flat head driver
4mm turnbuckle wrench
Shock shaft plier
Reamer
Pinion holder
Parts tray
droop blocks
droop gauge
hybrid height/droop gauge
Pit mat

Other tools (in picture)
Active Hobby Tool holder
No brand camber gauge

[Image: lVVllk2.jpg][Image: PqeLrYe.jpg]
[Image: pgNNjza.jpg]
Kazama GSX-R Doripake
Tamiya TA-06 MS 
Sanwa M12
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2015, 04:32 PM by Ebbicake. Edit Reason: additional info )
Nice set of tools, Ebbi! Coming over from the Tamiya touring car world, I have the aluminum turnbuckle wrench, shock pliers, height/droop guage, along with their 4-in-one camber gauge. The turnbuckle wrench and shock pliers make life a lot easier. I thought about picking up their hex-drivers, but got a set of Wera drivers instead.

-Vic
Stable
  • Yokomo DIB275 Premium (RWD Conversion)
  • Yokomo DPR (Hayato Yoshiba Spec)
  • Yokomo YD-4
  • Yokomo YD-2 PLUS
Drift Gundam Blog
(12-20-2015, 04:58 PM)DriftGundam Wrote: Nice set of tools, Ebbi! Coming over from the Tamiya touring car world, I have the aluminum turnbuckle wrench, shock pliers, height/droop guage, along with their 4-in-one camber gauge. The turnbuckle wrench and shock pliers make life a lot easier. I thought about picking up their hex-drivers, but got a set of Wera drivers instead.

-Vic

The shock pliers are superb, a must-have for people who do shock maintenance. 
The turnbuckle wrench is great too. really good for OverDose/Yokomo titanium turnbuckles. But it doesn't work with tamiya's standard aluminium turnbuckles which is annoying...

I have been considering trading in my BD7 for a TRF 418/9 in my TC pursuits... but as of yet budget is restrictive :\
For now i'm F1 dominant rubber spec. dat blue is addictive!
[Image: pgNNjza.jpg]
Kazama GSX-R Doripake
Tamiya TA-06 MS 
Sanwa M12