Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To diff or not to diff
Reading from the forums, the main consensus I get is not to diff your rwd.

after MST rmx-s launch, I find that ball diffs are standard out of the box. Testing the car, feels very responsive and smooth in a drift.

Compared to my solid rear, which seems slightly less stable during drifts.

I decided to diff my team magic e4d. I find that it(handling wise) has slightly improved. IMO, I say diff the rear.

What do you all think? What's your experience on this ?

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk
Team Magic - E4D(4) RWD - Sakura D4 RWD
I'm far from an expert as I just got into RWD not long ago. My Yokomo YD-2 out of the box is diffed and does well if someone else is driving it. :-) I recently picked up a MST Fxx-D that has the diff locked to me it's harder to drive (drift). It may not be setup as well as the YD-2 but of the 2 cars I prefer the YD-2 with open diff. I think the other cars I have driven all had open diffs too.
Gramps
---------------------------------------------------
MST RMX 2.0S 
MST FXX-D
Exceed RC MadPulse awd

Remember that the YD-2 comes with a Geardiff - A copy of how a diff works in real cars, but the downside is that if you wanna have a stiff setup, the oil thickness has to be thicker and vice versa for lose diff. I've owned a YD-2 and the diff is very hard, the oil they give with the kit is thick and the O-rings sealing the oil in were tough so the whole thing drove like a solid axle. I changed mine to a Balldif as tiny balls rubs against a slipper plate - Much more easy to adjust on the fly and works pretty good + no oil needed, just grease.

A loose balldiff is recommended as it gives the tire with maximum grip power to the ground and the car drives better this way. The RMX-S comes standard with it but it's not standard on most of the earlier Rwd chassis they produced. I know for a fact that we got 5 peeps running the FMX-Pro and they all got the rear solid axle with the kit.
MST XXX-D VIP - CS 2.0 - Main

MST FMX-D PRO - RWD - Main

MST RMX-S 2.0 - RWD - Secondary

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linear ball diff Danchamp1 0 432 02-03-2016, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Danchamp1