Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tt01e rear wheel chatter
i am running factory friction dampers on my chassis still and i modded my steering for extreme angel and now i have wheel chatter in the rear when in a drift but straight line there is nothing but smooth running. I stiffened up the front dampers and left the rear soft and it still chatters so i softened up the front and stiffened up the rear and it still chatters. I even checked my bearings and diffs and upper and lower arms for play and they all seem solid. I run out of idea's. help me help me plz.
Are you running universals or the stock dog bones?   If using the dog bones, have you checked them for excessive wear?
[Image: Knytemare_Sig.png]
It would be dog bones? friction dampers, you need a decent set of oil dampers even the 3racing ones would do
running universals on all 4 corners. thats what prompted me to check the bearings and diff.
am ordering up a set of oil filled shocks and a spring set this coming payday just don't know which brand i going for yet.
Are they chattering at the universal joint, or at the diff cup side? Also, what universals are you using, and what diff outdrives/cups?
[Image: twssig.png]
wreckitsideways.com
ZILLAlife*Hiro Seiko*Tonisport*SkyRC*RC OMG
(01-22-2013, 06:53 AM)toefurkeybasher Wrote:  running universals on all 4 corners. thats what prompted me to check the bearings and diff.
am ordering up a set of oil filled shocks and a spring set this coming payday just don't know which brand i going for yet.

Does the chatter happen at both wheels/when drifting both left and right?
You may need to look at the diff cups and universal joints like stated earlier. Also check to make sure you still have a bevel on your tires. if they have worn flat, expect them to catch on surface imperfections and cause chatter when going sideways. Assuming the tires are not worn flat and causing the chatter and that your diff drives and universals are in good condition, you probably just need oil dampers.
The 3racing ones aren't bad for the price. I used them for over a year before i upgraded to TRF's. Since running TRF's I haven't looked back. they are just great and don't need to be rebuilt as often as 3racing dampers. also less prone to leaking than the 3racing ones. I think the 3racing dampers may be able to accept the trf rebuild kit bladders and rubber/silicone rings too.
Team Ghost Drift
[Image: TGD+official+WHITE+side+decal+Osaka-Sans...+edit1.png]
MST FS-01D cs@2.0
Yokomo DRB cs@1.8
Eagle  R31 RWD
(01-22-2013, 08:11 AM)rudeboy03 Wrote:  
(01-22-2013, 06:53 AM)toefurkeybasher Wrote:  running universals on all 4 corners. thats what prompted me to check the bearings and diff.

Does the chatter happen at both wheels/when drifting both left and right?
You may need to look at the diff cups and universal joints like stated earlier. Also check to make sure you still have a bevel on your tires. if they have worn flat, expect them to catch on surface imperfections and cause chatter when going sideways. Assuming the tires are not worn flat and causing the chatter and that your diff drives and universals are in good condition, you probably just need oil dampers.
The 3racing ones aren't bad for the price. I used them for over a year before i upgraded to TRF's. Since running TRF's I haven't looked back. they are just great and don't need to be rebuilt as often as 3racing dampers. also less prone to leaking than the 3racing ones. I think the 3racing dampers may be able to accept the trf rebuild kit bladders and rubber/silicone rings too.

yeah they do I'm running a hybrid TT01-14/LB/V2, Sakura D3 (essentially the same damper) basically I'm using the alloy damper core with the D3 pink alloy parts on it I kept the D3 bladder but used Tamiya (#42137) Competition O-Rings For Oil Dampers and Tamiya (#53577) TRF Damper Urethane Bushing to stop the bladder deforming under pressure although I'm using this on a D3 I think it's still relevant. I'm going to be giving them a clean out and service soon and rebuilding using associated green slime to try to increase the longevity between rebuilds
Tizer  i am running the 3racing universals and 3racing fow setup in front diffs and a 3racing spool setup in the back diffs. and they are solid had them out this afternoon and both diffs are solid and the slots in the cups don't look wore and neither does the pin.  
 and yes chatter happens at both wheels in either direction of the drift.I did notice the bevel on my rear tires both sides has rounded off and now looks more like a regular tire and i just realized today those pvc tires don't last that long i put new set on rear when i started and now after 6 cycles they wore down to less then half the size of the fronts. didn't think the bevel would help with stopping the chatter so never crossed my mind will throw on a new set and see if that makes a difference. but at moment the chassis is tore apart awaiting some upgrades. and a new steering servo the jr sport i installed is too quik for my tastes grabbed a futaba s3003 with a .19sec speed rate verses the jr sport at a blistering .13sec
thanks again to everyone who chimed in
[attachment=285]
just cracked the back diff open and notice this. now would that create chatter in the rear of the car under torque?
if ya can slide it you can drift it!!
I would say so! looks like you'll be ordering a new crown gear!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wheel chatter.... razar 6 2,375 04-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Last Post: RexRacer19