Wagwan RWD D3!

5 Replies, 5964 Views

Hey all!

I think this is my first post? Moved to Hong Kong recently and needed to find a hobby. RC cars it is! Can't afford to park a car in Hong Kong, so get a small one!

I enjoyed drifting a 50/50 back home in the UK and thought I'd give CS a go. Sakura D3 was bought! Here's the brief history:

Built completely stock first. Found the drive train REALLY weak and sloppy with the plastic ... so aluminium parts all around the drive chain! Front, read bulkheads and their covers, layshaft holder and all the pinions plus front one way and aluminium solid spool for the rear. I did tweak the CS ratio and I think at this point I was at 2.34

So body painted (badly) and car built with CS, I headed to D-Style Arena and instantly bombed. The track is small and very tight and was very slippery painted concrete. Rear was super twitchy, so much so I had to buy a gyro there and then to make my journey after work worth while. One of the pros working there had a go and he had a hard time trying to tame the thing!

The guys there 90% run 2WD. Very high scale realism and I figured if the guys are running RWD, makes sense for me to convert and leverage some of the knowledge and experience these guys have for me to have more fun!

Researched and researched and planned out what I wanted to do in my head and here's where I am at the moment. I've put this in WIP as it's not yet finished ... I've not run it or set it up and there's plenty of work still to do!

[Image: FalbTOw.jpg]
[Image: C6E7ots.jpg]
[Image: 8gVtJcD.jpg]
This is close!
[Image: oDy0Jen.jpg]
[Image: NTSEAXQ.jpg]
[Image: g9iGmx1.jpg]
[Image: slEYxXW.jpg]
[Image: LUUho24.jpg]

So bits I bought to get the front as it is with the mono-shock (I had the TRF shock lying around):
MST KPI Uprights
MST MS-D01 Lower arms
MST 2WD axles
MST 90 degree aluminium bellcranks
5x11 bearings (I had the 10x15 ones lying around)
Turn buckles (4x35mm 2x48mm)
Lots of 5mm balls and rod ends plus 6mm Tamiya suspension pillow balls and the rod ends for those (camber link on top of the KPI upright)
Spacers ... a pack of randoms but they suited my needs

So with the above, I can change my front track, camber and castor. I have no anti-roll with the mono-shock mod but ride height is still adjustable.

Other upgrades on top include SSG main chassis and top deck and front suspension tower. Rear suspension tower was out of stock. And there's also the aluminium steering assembly.

Probably going to online order the rear shock tower and I might try and find a way to get my spare TRF dampers on the rear too but they are a bit on the short side.

Constructive comments, feedback and tips would be more than appreciated!

Cheers
You should do a tutorial for the mono-shock.
3Racing Sakura D3 WIP thread
I could do ... the way I've mounted my monoshock is too high and it's interfering with the body when I put it on. It's an opportunity for me to remove it and redo it.

Update wise, because I've freed up the front steering assembly, I've moved it to the back! So I have infinitely adjustable toe and also active-toe. Not sure how to go about tuning this piece yet though!

My GT86 body is badly beat up. I put paint on too thick so it needs to come off (any suggestions) or I may plasti-dip the outside of it. We'll see!

RWD is working great. I have a GYC430 gyro on there, which I can remotely adjust from my 4PKSR. Will head out to the drift arena (https://www.facebook.com/dstylearena?fref=ts) tonight to try it out and see how it goes!
I hear dot 4 brake fluid can remove the paint. Just coat the inside, let sit for ten minutes then wipe away.

SportyModder used it on his AE86
http://forum.driftmission.com/showthread.php?tid=4785
3Racing Sakura D3 WIP thread
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2014, 12:06 PM by DeadLeg.)
(07-26-2014, 12:03 PM)DeadLeg Wrote: I hear dot 4 brake fluid can remove the paint. Just coat the inside, let sit for ten minutes then wipe away.

SportyModder used it on his AE86
http://forum.driftmission.com/showthread.php?tid=4785

It works! It just takes a long time. Last photo is about 5 hours of work while watching TV.
How did you manage to get the right front wheel to not bump where the turnbuckle from the servo meets the steering rack?

Its kind of dark but you can see what I'm talking about here.

[Image: 724e536472f9af2f420a31f5a3cd5c0e.jpg]

And how's the build coming along? I think I'm about to go the monoshock route as well.